[Official] WINE info thread

Path of exile is incredibly fiddly with wine, presumably due to bad coding on GGG's part. You need to find a version of wine/proton that actually works on your computer.

Personally I use proton experimental-6.3-20210407b, as it happened to be the version available at the time I was last having problems. It worked flawlessly, so I got it standalone and refuse to update it. Still working fine.

If you're verified all your graphics drivers and other non-WINE specific things are fully up to date, then I'd suggest start trying older versions of proton, probably in the 6.3 range.
Украина в моём сердце
Aaaaaand the latest patch bricked my PoE. Stuck on a black screen xD

Ah cruel irony to say I had it working perfectly just a few hours ago.
Украина в моём сердце
Solved it by switching to proton experimental, which is funny because it didnt work yesterday when I wrote the post. So weird that it now works for me but not for you though...
Tried out the latest Proton-GE release (Proton-6.10-GE-1) this weekend, while leveling a character in Gauntlet. Performance is still outstanding on an AMDGPU and Vulkan, gameplay is fluid, literally zero lags.

Ryzen 3600 + AMD 5600 XT
mesa-git 1:21.2.0
Last edited by sirdond on Jun 14, 2021, 2:40:40 PM
So, anyone tried the new patch?
I'm planning to do some testing at the afternoon and than a more thorough one on the weekend, but would be great to read more reports from other people too (With different CPUs and GPUs).
Especially on the DXVK front, if anyone playing with that on Linux.

Edit: Ran some juiced maps, did one conqueror and Sirus.
I'm on the border of perfomance being unchanged / performance is a little bit better, I can't tell for sure.

Overall the gameplay is still amazing on Vulkan, zero lags, very smooth!
Last edited by sirdond on Jul 7, 2021, 2:29:07 PM
OK, so the game doesn't want to start through Steam suddenly. Other games run fine so it must be something with PoE. In Steam library it says "Running" but nothing happens, not even black screen. Any ideas? I really don't want to install standalone client again...

EDIT: well, reinstalling solved the problem. Let's hope it won't come back tomorrow!
Last edited by ToriVega on Jul 22, 2021, 9:52:03 AM
Has anyone tried the Wine FSR hack with PoE? A comparison of it in action would be appreciated.
"
Voltaxic wrote:
Has anyone tried the Wine FSR hack with PoE? A comparison of it in action would be appreciated.

last league it worked fine. i needed to run 1080p FULLSCREEN but it crashes this league in fullscreen(mesa & amdgpu). so im stuck with windowed fullscreen which FSR doesnt work.

my screenshot last league
https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/oue997/amd_fsr_image_comparison_sharpening_strength_is_2/

...unless ggg implements it. running 635p on a 1080p monitor but UI looks 1080p
Last edited by internet_TOUGH_GUY_123456 on Nov 17, 2021, 10:03:53 PM
inject FSR with Lutris and gamescope

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/sz6ggh/yet_another_fsr_img_comparion_720p_to_1080p/

windowed fullscreen, i upscale mine from 720p to 1080p

gamescope -w 1280 -h 720 -W 1920 -H 1080 -U -f -- mangohud

these are my parameters that I added to lutris > System Options > command prefix

warning: cant copy paste when buying stuff on trade
Last edited by internet_TOUGH_GUY_123456 on Feb 23, 2022, 7:08:00 AM
Hey folks don't know if this is the proper place to post this, but I just had a weird problem that took forever to troubleshoot and fix, so I'll share the solution here for anyone that goes through the same and also for my future reference:

So I've recently installed PoE on Linux for the first time in a bunch of years. I did it through Steam (flatpak) and was hit with a weird problem. Game would launch without problem, but I couldn't connect to any of the login servers.

Client logs just mentioned connection failed with xxxx.login.pathofexile.com, steam didn't complained, flatpak logs didn't show anything weird.

Other Steam games worked without problem (at least native ones), this here was the proverbial red herring that messed my troubleshoot and made me lose days.

After going at it for at least a week I finally solved the problem yesterday (and right before league start).

The issue is due to a combination of using Steam flatpak, systemd-resolved and PoE's client/Proton name resolution method.

If you use systemd-resolved as the resolver, it will create two entries under /run/systemd/resolve/, namely resolv.conf and stub-resolv.conf. it will at the same time create a copy of the /run/systemd/resolve/resolv.conf to /etc/resolv.conf. Flatpak in turn will create it's own copy of /etc/resolv.conf in /run/user/1000/.flatpak-helper/monitor/, in order to allow for apps running inside the sandbox to be able to perform name resolution.

The problem comes with the timings that these operations are performed and the respective files created. The process that triggers the creation of /etc/resolv.conf happens before systemd-resolved has had time to properly fill in /run/systemd/resolve/resolv.conf (which should contain the required DNS servers for normal name resolution), this means that /etc/resolv.conf will end up being an empty file, which in turn gets copied by flatpak for use by the sandboxed applications.

This means that it should be really easy to detect and solve right? After all, no sandboxed flatpak app should be able to resolve names...

Well, not really...Depending on which method the application uses to perform the name resolution, it might use /etc/resolv.conf directly, or it might use the nss-resolve glibc plug-in module (which is specific to resolve names with systemd-resolved) and forces the use of systemd-resolved for name resolution and not /etc/resolv.conf. I believe either Proton or the specific call that the PoE client makes and that Proton emulates for name resolution will check /etc/resolv.conf directly, and hence the problem arises.

So to cut a long story short, the fix is quite simple, make sure you remove /etc/resolv.conf and create a symlink of /run/systemd/resolve/stub-resolv.conf in it's place: ln -rsf /run/systemd/resolve/stub-resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf

This works because the stub-resolv.conf will always have a local stub entry for all domains, which gets passed on to all clients and forces the use of systemd-resolved.

I hope this helps anyone that might have the same weird issue.

Stay sane exiles!

PS: @GGG I have a really small ask, could you improve the error messages of the Client, if it had given a more descriptive message mentioning it couldn't perform name resolution of the login server instead of just saying it failed to connect it would save a lot of troubleshooting time.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info