[Official] WINE info thread

Yikes. I'm using a standalone version of proton so I don't have to worry about automatic updates or anything.

GGG should really refactor their graphics from the ground up. Any sane company is not going to reinvent the wheel with an in-house graphics engine when plenty of options exist, both free and proprietary. "Texture streaming" was a problem solved in the mid 2000s, for example. The game breaking so badly on standard WINE and all the complaints about performance from regular windows users all point to them doing something very non-standard and broken.
Украина в моём сердце
Last edited by kaijyuu2 on Mar 24, 2021, 5:37:08 PM
"
kaijyuu2 wrote:
Yikes. I'm using a standalone version of proton so I don't have to worry about automatic updates or anything.

GGG should really refactor their graphics from the ground up. Any sane company is not going to reinvent the wheel with an in-house graphics engine when plenty of options exist, both free and proprietary. "Texture streaming" was a problem solved in the mid 2000s, for example. The game breaking so badly on standard WINE and all the complaints about performance from regular windows users all point to them doing something very non-standard and broken.

Fun fact, the game was almost on UE, but they decided against it for some reason.

I think back then as an actual indie company they wanted to try it on their own I guess, room for being experimental.

Definitely have no room for that now.

Excitedly waiting to post in this thread on how the game performs in 3.14 soon though.
I think the choice was between UE3 (fairly old at the time), waiting a long time for the next UE (it was already talked about being development back in 2007), or going with a custom engine. So with that in mind it becomes pretty clear why they went with a custom engine. Arguably they could've made the efforts to switch to UE4 when it was publicly released late 2014 but that would have been a massive undertaking and disrupt their perpetual self-marketing tool of regularly released expansions.
same name in-game
Hello everyone, I have finally made a full switch to linux. Just wanted to share my experience about PoE on linux because I am so very positively surprised by it.
I am running Proton Experimental in Steam with --nosound and --nologo. I am using Vulkan in-game. It is running super smooth. On windows, I was stuttering in towns and even in acts. They are all gone now, hopefully will never come back.
Also I have made some adjustments for the remainder of my system, I believe that they help with the PoE performance. I am using a package called optimus-manager. As far as I understand it, it can force the nvidia gpu to provide graphics for all applications. I understand that this takes some load off of the cpu and since poe is very cpu hungry, this might help our little cpu to combat years of unoptimized code. When I am in the nvidia mode, poe is smooth and when I am running the default hybrid mode provided by optimus-manager or without optimus-manager poe is not smooth. It might worth taking a look at if you are on a laptop with an nvidia card.

Also, I have seen that people are running some other versions of Proton in the thread. Is it possible to run those forks on steam, if so how would I do it?
"
Shirlea wrote:

Also, I have seen that people are running some other versions of Proton in the thread. Is it possible to run those forks on steam, if so how would I do it?

See: https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/proton-ge-custom#enabling
"
kalktresor wrote:
For me proton-ge-custom-bin-6.4_GE_1-1-x86_64 on arch brings back the old stutter, longer loading times and fps dips. Be aware before you upgrade.

radv (aco) running on a rx580 + 3800x runs still smooth as silk on proton-ge-custom-bin-6.1_GE_2-1

Heads up for everyone, who skipped over this.
The newest Proton versions are not the greatest in terms of performance for PoE.

6.1-GE + RADV is recommended if you are on an AMD GPU.
im still mad that there is still no native poe linux version available >:(
"
sirdond wrote:
"
kalktresor wrote:
For me proton-ge-custom-bin-6.4_GE_1-1-x86_64 on arch brings back the old stutter, longer loading times and fps dips. Be aware before you upgrade.

radv (aco) running on a rx580 + 3800x runs still smooth as silk on proton-ge-custom-bin-6.1_GE_2-1

Heads up for everyone, who skipped over this.
The newest Proton versions are not the greatest in terms of performance for PoE.

6.1-GE + RADV is recommended if you are on an AMD GPU.

Yes indeed, the only versions that actually work very stable with RADV are 6.1GE and Proton Experimental (which i just download from steam, but use locally with the standalone poe client - since there is no binary for proton experimental on arch afaik and i cant be asked to compile it myself). All other versions have awful fps dips, longer loading times and so on...
Almost nobody dances sober, unless they happen to be insane.
Hello anybody know how to fix issue with non existent russian font. I probably need install it on my system separately.
Hey there!

I'm using a PopOS VM in unRAID. 5700XT and 4(8t) Ryzen 2600, 16GB RAM.
I have a slight performance issue using steam. First off, I have to use proton 5.0-10 to even get it to start. (Using later version just results in "play" button flashing blue then green again). This low version might cause some problems on it's own, but at least it starts. However, the performance it not at all what I expected. In Windows i got a pretty stable 90-120 FPS. current setup yields about 90FPS, but is VERY unstable, often drops below 30. One thing I have noticed is that whenever i move my mouse the fps cuts i half, and short freeze (50ms maybe) is happening whenever i use a skill or click something in the inventory. I have already tried setting mouse polling to 500Hz with no visible effect.

Please help me out, I really want PoE to work better than this. Switching back to Windows is really a last resort.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info