[Official] WINE info thread

"
Drakier wrote:
"
Overall what distro would be the most dependency free?

It's not about being dependency free. It's about there being proper support for all dependencies required. The software is the software. The dependencies on other libraries are going to exist regardless of your distribution.

Where it plays a factor is in the package maintainers properly recognizing those dependencies and including them in the package for each component. You could probably get your current distro to work if you just installed the correct libraries... but there is no certainty in that.

As someone else said though, this discussion on Linux is getting a bit off-topic for the Wine thread, and should probably created in a new thread if you still need additional assistance with it. Where you are right now is not really relevant to Wine. You're looking at a complete overhaul which is outside of the scope of this topic.

My recommendation is to use VirtualBox or some other VM system and install a bunch of different ones and determine which you like the best. find out which installs the easiest, is the easiest for you to configure and use, etc. Once you've determined what you like best, then re-install your system using the same method. No one here can tell you what you should do. We each have our own opinion. The one thing I think we can all agree on however is that it sounds like you need to pick a well-maintained and mainstream distribution.

Ok, I'll stop here then.Also I tried Linux Mint and it's just as an awful mess as I was told.Screen tearing, slow bootup time and it crashes a ton.
"
I tried Linux Mint and it's just as an awful mess as I was told.Screen tearing, slow bootup time and it crashes a ton.

PoE has some minor screen tearing on Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS with the beta open source AMD/ATI driver / Wine 1.5.24 as well. I got used to it and it does not bother me. If I wanted, I could play around with the vsync settings some more to try to fix it.
Last edited by Sovyn on Mar 18, 2013, 11:35:44 PM
"
Sovyn wrote:
...little guide...

Great guide! Thanks, mate.
Though, I've installed some other stuff, not just d3dx9_36 and vcrun2010, but usp10, d3dcompiler_43, d3dx9_42, dotnet20, vcrun2005, and vcrun2008 as well. This was suggested on the external internets.
I've also switched from 304 NVIDIA driver to the experemental 310. The game runs on max settings now and it detects the card properly (GT 520 instead of 8300).

I'm running Mint 14 with Cinnamon, wine 1.5.26.
NVIGIA GT 520
AMD Athlon II X2 250
2 GB RAM DDR3
Last edited by neolid on Mar 20, 2013, 3:25:46 AM
"
neolid wrote:

Though, I've installed some other stuff, not just d3dx9_36 and vcrun2010, but usp10, d3dcompiler_43, d3dx9_42, dotnet20, vcrun2005, and vcrun2008 as well. This was suggested on the external internets.

d3dcompiler_43, d3dx9_42, dotnet20, vcrun2005, and vcrun2008 are not needed at all to get the game running and working properly. usp10 used to be required, but was fixed in version 1.5.24 of wine because it fixed a bug in prior versions.

All you should NEED to get PoE working properly is d3dx9_36 and vcrun2010. If you want to make the launcher look proper, you'll need riched20 as well. Everything else is unnecessary.

Cheers!
Apologies if this is already mentioned somewhere in the previous 75 pages; I have half-heartedly tried searching, but this forum's search feature isn't too fancy.

I'm currently poking at Path of Exile on Debian Wheezy, which comes with Mesa 8.0.5 and Wine 1.5.6. My computer has Intel HD4000 graphics, which I realise isn't exactly a powerhouse, but it's more than adequate for most of the stuff I do.

I have PoE turned down to the minimum possible graphics and it's certainly playable, but there's a few glitches I encounter from time to time:

- Most obviously, font spacing in all the UI text (item descriptions in particular, but also the options menu, chat text, etc.) is hilariously bad. Usually it's just about readable, but not always.

- In areas with sea borders, like the Terraces and the Mud Flats in Act 1, if I wander too far out to sea I'll almost certainly see the sea tiles glitch out - sometimes the water texture disappears entirely for a frame or two, and I can directly see the sand underneath; sometimes the water goes nuts and stretches itself vertically, so tall it reaches past the top of the screen. Doesn't seem to affect gameplay, though, it's just cosmetic.

- Sometimes, especially when I'm fighting a rare (yellow-named) mob, the game will occasionally pause for half a second, which can be lethal or at least very painful if it occurs at the right (wrong) time.

I can think of a number of possible causes for these issues, including "broken, ancient Mesa", "broken, ancient Wine", "weak-sauce GPU" and even "game is still in beta", but I really don't know which of those causes might apply to each of the problems I listed above.

Does anyone else recognise any of those problems? Does anyone else have any of those problems? Does anyone else know what causes them, and if there's any particular way they might be worked around?

(If any of these are common problems, it would be helpful for them to be listed in the first post of the thread)
page 57 has a great walkthrough by Sovyn on how to get PoE working properly in wine. just follow his guide step by step and you'll be all set.
nvm
Last edited by DementedKumquat on Mar 23, 2013, 5:01:08 PM
"
Thristian wrote:
Sometimes, especially when I'm fighting a rare (yellow-named) mob, the game will occasionally pause for half a second, which can be lethal or at least very painful if it occurs at the right (wrong) time.

A broad variety of systems experience this issue (including Windows) both with high spec and low spec hardware. GGG will work on pre-loading assets on a zone-wide basis in the future. What happens now is, when you approach a named monster, often it is utilizing some type of effect that is not yet cached in memory, so it needs to be loaded. The way in which it is loaded into the framebuffer is not yet optimized. Half a second is not bad compared to what some people are experiencing (multi-second freezes) even with high end graphics adapters (AMD/ATI in particular but some Nvidia users too). There is a tweak mentioned in my guide for Nvidia - you could try it on your Intel and see if you just get the UI - if so, you will unfortunately just have to wait with the rest of us for an official fix. I'm still playing and enjoying the game in the default league.

I also upgraded my CPU from a dual core to a quad core that runs at a faster clock speed, and updated Wine to 1.5.26 (the latest) and I think the pauses are a little bit less severe than before (although the game has also been patched several times recently as well, so it would be hard to attribute this improvement to any one thing).
Last edited by Sovyn on Mar 23, 2013, 6:25:08 PM
Hi everyone, I have been trying to get PoE to run on my ArchBang setup.So far when I launch PoE I'm greeted by a blank screen and the main menu never loads.Does this have to do with my graphics drivers? I have mesa-libgl 9.1.1.1 and lib32-mesa-libgl 9.1.1.1 .Also should I use one of the proprietary drivers instead and see if that fixes the blank screen issue?
Last edited by DementedKumquat on Mar 23, 2013, 6:21:12 PM
"
Hi everyone, I have been trying to get PoE to run on my ArchBang setup.So far when I launch PoE I'm greeted by a blank screen and the main menu never loads.Does this have to do with my graphics drivers? I have mesa-libgl 9.1.1.1 and lib32-mesa-libgl 9.1.1.1 .Also should I use one of the proprietary drivers instead and see if that fixes the blank screen issue?

Are you using PlayOnLinux?

I have a writeup on how to set up PoE in Wine with PlayOnLinux here.

If not PlayOnLinux, you could always try using winetricks to install directx on your existing Wine.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info