[Official] WINE info thread

"
Sovyn wrote:
A broad variety of systems experience this issue (including Windows) both with high spec and low spec hardware. GGG will work on pre-loading assets on a zone-wide basis in the future.

Ah, so that's not a problem with my system. That's good to know, thanks!

"
There is a tweak mentioned in my guide for Nvidia - you could try it on your Intel and see if you just get the UI - if so, you will unfortunately just have to wait with the rest of us for an official fix.

Yeah, I just get the UI and when the game proper starts, it crashes because it can't create a vertex shader. I guess I'll wait, then.

I tried following the instructions in your guide (in particular I was interested to see if the new Wine version PlayOnLinux supplies would help matters), but the only difference I can see is that where previously normal text was hard-to-read and italic text (like the 'right click gems to remove ' message at the bottom of gem tooltips) was impossible, now normal text is still hard-to-read but italic text is perfect. That's an improvement, but not a tremendously useful one.

So, what I'm hearing is: the font-rendering issue is known, but nobody knows what causes it. The glitchy water rendering is not known, and might just be a weird thing on my system. The pauses are known even on Windows, and are an issue with the game.

Well, that's more than I knew yesterday. Thanks!
There's something with running the installer that messes up the fonts on the systems. If you just copy the files from an old PoE install without running the installer, it works much better.

The lag/pauses due to the special effects on certain mobs are fixed with nvidia by disabling the GLSL. Unfortunately that seems to only work properly for nvidia cards with the proprietary nvidia drivers (non-free).

I haven't seen any problems with the water rendering either, so that also might be dependent on the driver/card that you're using.
"
Drakier wrote:

I haven't seen any problems with the water rendering either, so that also might be dependent on the driver/card that you're using.

Perfect water here also (AMD/ATI with Mesa 9).
Well, just for future reference, this is the sort of stuff I'm seeing:

Unfortunately, the tool I used to take the screenshots doesn't seem to understand vsync very well; I can see bits of at least three frames in there. Still, it should give people a good idea of what it looks like when it goes wrong.
Been having issues with alt-tabbing. When I alt-tab, it keeps the POE mouse cursor active but I can see all my windows. I can't click on anything, but can do things with the keyboard. Really annoying. Anyone have similar issues or a fix? Was fine before I changed the wine version to 1.5.24
"
GamingRendo wrote:
Been having issues with alt-tabbing. When I alt-tab, it keeps the POE mouse cursor active but I can see all my windows. I can't click on anything, but can do things with the keyboard. Really annoying. Anyone have similar issues or a fix? Was fine before I changed the wine version to 1.5.24

Same issue here. Not a big deal to me as I play and then log all the way out.

When I accidentally hit the windows key on my keyboard I usually have to go and do control + alt + F1 and use the kill command on the process id to regain use of the system.

ps aux | grep Client

kill -s 15 [process number from above command goes here]

Then control + alt + F7 to get back to the desktop.

Might be a better / easier way.
Last edited by Sovyn on Mar 25, 2013, 9:00:19 PM
I have no issues with the mouse cursor if I swap. I don't alt-tab however. I just leave PoE on one of my workspaces, and CTRL+ALT+Left_Arrow or CTRL+ALT+Right_Arrow to swap around on my workspaces. I get no cursor or other issues doing this, and I'm able to swap back into the PoE workspace and continue on without issues.

I'm using xfce4 with gdm3 if it makes any difference.
"
Drakier wrote:
I have no issues with the mouse cursor if I swap. I don't alt-tab however. I just leave PoE on one of my workspaces, and CTRL+ALT+Left_Arrow or CTRL+ALT+Right_Arrow to swap around on my workspaces. I get no cursor or other issues doing this, and I'm able to swap back into the PoE workspace and continue on without issues.

I'm using xfce4 with gdm3 if it makes any difference.

I can confirm switching workspaces works fine on Unity 3D (Ubuntu 12.04 LTS) as well.

If I tap the alt key to bring up the command box or the windows key to bring up the menu, I sometimes lose control of the keyboard and the game retains the mouse. Not a big deal. The game usually grabs control of the keyboard after a minute. The game (fullscreen) never cedes the screen to any of the OS UI.
I'm finding that PoE on Wine crashes quite reliably after around 2 hours in multiplayer. Single player seems fine but it may just be that I don't play that long when soloing. Or, a theory, perhaps the additional effects being cached (other players casting) in multiplayer exacerbates the issue.

So, it seems there may be a memory leak still in the latest versions of Wine (tested with 1.5.24, 1.5.25, 1.5.26).

Tested PlayOnLinux 4.1.x and 4.2.

Nothing in the debug log.

Tried installing usp10 again with winetricks which used to fix the memory leak crash issues with older Wine versions, but no help.

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64-bit
4 GB ram
ATI/AMD HD 4770 with Mesa 9 driver

Just reporting an issue I noticed.
Hey, I'm not sure if this was asked before, so sorry if this has already been answered (of which I can't find).

I used Play on Linux to install the game for me. Worked just fine (although the allocating resources took fucking sooo many hours, what the fuck). I had some freezing (which lost me a good dualist I was leveling) but then disabled GLSL support through the Play on Linux app and now the problem is gone. I also have some funky text shit going on, but I can still read it so it doesn't bother me too much. I have had a few crashes, not many (and seems to all be in act 3 iirc).

I just wanted to ask, Play on Linux seems to be using Wine 1.4 to run POE, but I was wondering if you guys would recommend changing this to a newer version of Wine?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info