[Official] WINE info thread

"
I tried running Path of Exile in Wine today and came across a strange error. It loads and plays just fine, except that the default window size is a 5cm square. I tried going around in the display options and changing the display settings, but I can't quite get it back to normal, and it reverts back to the small window the next time I open it.

Any suggestions?

I had the same issue when I installed the game - after setting the resolution manually be editing the production_Config.ini (in *desktop*/My Games/Path of Exile) it went away.. not sure what was that about but it work normally now (at least for me).
TheBlancmangeImpersonator: I really don't know what I can do to help you at this point. Something isn't working right and I'm just not sure. I've never seen the errors you are describing in my own setup so I really can't do a whole lot.

Every other people I've talked to who has ran Sovyn's setup has had no issues once they installed it right. It almost makes me wonder if you're missing some other dependencies outside of wine that wine relies on and aren't working.

I wish I could help more. You might just have to play around with it a bit more and post any different errors you are getting. In the case of the vcruntime errors, those would be sorted out with a working installation of the vcrun2010, but it seems to be more than that.

Good luck and let us know if you get it working and figure out what it was so we can help anyone else who comes into a situation similar to yours.
Do you know if it might have to do with the Linux distro I'm using? All the walkthroughs are describing how to install it on Linux mint or Ubuntu. I also haven't been able to get anything else to work through PlayOnLinux with this distro.I wondering if my distro has something to do with it.
Last edited by DementedKumquat on Mar 15, 2013, 1:31:45 PM
Which distro are you using again?

I'm using Debian, and I'm in the unstable branch (sid). I generally stay away from distributions that aren't maintained or popular due to problems as you are describing.
That would be Manjaro Linux 0.8.4 xfce. It's an up and coming distro but it's not as popular as Linux Mint or Ubuntu.
Last edited by DementedKumquat on Mar 15, 2013, 2:21:04 PM
I couldn't tell ya for sure.

I've never heard of that one specifically, but I'm not sure what it offers over other alternatives. I run my Debian with xfce4 and it is just fine for me. I also get really good support with it, and because it is fairly popular (the base for Ubuntu?) I can find a lot of resources online to fix almost any problem I've had.

Is there a specific reason you're running that instead of some other more common distribution? Are you amenable to changing your distribution just so you could possibly play Path of Exile? (I changed my branch to sid from stable so I could install more recent drivers for games).

I know there are a lot of people out there who want to run obscure stuff because it's fun.. and that's cool if that's what you want. But I find the support behind more stable and popular distributions to outweigh any negative reactions from running it.

With that said however, you won't catch me running Red Hat ever or anything with "Unity" *grins*

I know how linux geeks are.. they latch to a version and stick to it for a variety of reasons.. all of which are completely valid. Good luck!

Cheers
It's basically a beginner's version of Arch Linux. I didn't want to use Arch because I thought I wasn't capable of installing it.I also like the rolling release feature.Should I try to install Arch Linux since it is quite popular? Are there other easy to install distros with rolling release features?
Last edited by DementedKumquat on Mar 15, 2013, 2:41:48 PM
I don't know a lot about Arch honestly.. or about rolling releases.

Let me give you my experience with my distro and you can see if it is what you want.

I started out with Debian Squeeze (which is stable). I found out quite quickly however that it is REALLY behind in terms of package updates. The NVidia drivers were super old, and in general the software was just.. old (it only has wine 1.4).

After realizing this and talking to some friends (who also run debian) I decided that because I'm a more "modern" and "power user" type, I wanted more of the recent stuff sooner. That is what caused me to switch to Sid which is the unstable branch. It gets updates all the time. This allows me to get the most recent packages (which rarely but sometimes causes software to break) and it works out well for me.

The installation of Debian was super easy (they have both a beginner and an expert install mode) so I didn't really need to know what I was doing (although I did). It's one of the better distributions I've ran (and I started back on Slackware 3).

Currently Sid is in a freeze as they get ready to release the next version. The only changes being made to it right now are bugfixes and such. This is in preparation for it to be pushed down to wheezy (testing) and eventually to release. After this freeze is lifted, there will be a couple weeks of super unstable volatility while package managers push a ton of new packages into the system. I don't plan on updating at all during that time.

Otherwise, I get quite a few updates a week, and I generally only update weekly or so, but I could probably update daily right now if I wanted to with all the bugfixing going on. Even though the branch is labeled "unstable" I really haven't had many issues, and the issues I HAVE had were all fixed within a day or two when I waited for new packages to be released.
"
That would be Manjaro Linux 0.8.4 xfce. It's an up and coming distro but it's not as popular as Linux Mint or Ubuntu.

I agree that it's a dependency issue with your distro.

You could try

$ sudo yaourt -S libwbclient lib32-libwbclient libntlm lib32-libntlm

or

$ sudo pacman -S libldap lib32-libldap

Good luck. :)
I think I might try to get some practice with arch by installing it in Virtualbox.Once I've gotten it down I'll try actually installing it.
Last edited by DementedKumquat on Mar 15, 2013, 2:57:27 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info