[Official] WINE info thread

Just chipping in that the last patch greatly improved performance for me under wine. The stuttering when using certain skills is completely gone and it's overall running great now. One happy bunny.

Mepis(debian) with Nvidia

"
eg0e wrote:
Can someone post a guide on how to update OpenAL or PulseAudio?

This is different for every distro, as your package manager (how you install programs) and package repositories are specialized for it. You should search and ask your distro's support forums for the answer.

You can do without Pulse Audio, only using ALSA, but if your system requires it, then it is probably a dependency of many programs which utilize it, and will be up-to-date already.

If you want to upgrade OpenAL, you'll probably have to use your package manager again, but if it isn't up-to-date there, you can follow the instructions at the site for a (really hacked in) source install.

TL;DR: Use your package manager, it's real easy man.
I'm running mint, but the packages in the repositories are out of date and I'm a little confused on the instructions on the respective websites.

The respective sites talk about a source install, but I've already got the older versions installed from the repositories, so I'm not sure how to upgrade them. If I install the new versions that I built, how do I tell the system to use them instead of the original packages.

This is what I meant by please post a guide.

Thanks.
私は日本語がわかりません。
Ich kann kein deutsch.
I don't speak english.
Eu não falo português.
Non parlo italiano.
Je ne parle pas français.
(☆ゝ☆)♪♪♪
Last edited by eg0e on Jun 8, 2012, 8:10:17 PM
"
eg0e wrote:
I'm running mint, but the packages in the repositories are out of date and I'm a little confused on the instructions on the respective websites.

The respective sites talk about a source install, but I've already got the older versions installed from the repositories, so I'm not sure how to upgrade them. If I install the new versions that I built, how do I tell the system to use them instead of the original packages.

This is what I meant by please post a guide.

Thanks.

The much easier way is to just override the openal library in winecfg. I'm not exactly comfortable with updating packages with versions compiled from source (also I think that could cause issues with dependencies and such), so I'll write a little guide to help you do that. I'm going to assume you aren't doing anything fancy with wine, so there is only one copy of wine and only one wine prefix.

Firstly, open up a terminal window and type in:

"
winecfg

This should open a window with some tabs across the top. Click on 'Libraries'. There should be a dropdown window in this tab, and click on that and find 'openal32' . Click on it, and then click on 'add' to the right. openal32 should appear in just under the dropdown. Right click on it, and select 'native'. Then hit OK in the bottom right.

I'm not sure if this is different for 64bit, I'm still on 32bit, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Also I use a different version of wine for path of exile, so I have no idea what effect this override will have on anything else being run through wine. I just tested this with wine1.4 (with the patches from the first post) and Path of Exile 0.9.10c, and it still seemed to work. I'm running 32bit Ubuntu 12.04.
hello fellow *nix persons,
Just wondering if anyone out there having problems with lag,
I assume its graphics related.
these are specs.
ubuntu 12.04 (x64) wine1.4 off repos
nvidia 8600GT 512 Mb Card
quad core AMD 9650 (i Think)
4 gb Ram DDR2.
While I understand this is a bit older hardware i thought that it may be enough for POE (perhaps not @ 1680x1050 fs)
the lag has been apparent since the end of act one and the forest is basically unplayable. Does wine use all 4 cores by default or do we need to configure it?.
Any help or advice would be appreciated.
cheers
"
apocolypse600 wrote:
The much easier way is to just override the openal library in winecfg.

Thanks for the suggestion.
I've done that previously and it DOES solve the crashes.

However, it's not a perfect solution, the sound has an echo with that solution and there is a (small) performance decrease.

So if possible I would rather try the updated OpenAL as suggested, rather than having wine use the native library.

Thanks.
私は日本語がわかりません。
Ich kann kein deutsch.
I don't speak english.
Eu não falo português.
Non parlo italiano.
(☆ゝ☆)♪♪♪
is it possible to install an updated version alongside the original (not replacing it) and just have wine use that version insread?
私は日本語がわかりません。
Ich kann kein deutsch.
I don't speak english.
Eu não falo português.
Non parlo italiano.
(☆ゝ☆)♪♪♪
to TheUnbeliever.... I'm running PoE in Zorin 5.2 (Ubuntu 11.04) with wine 1.5 on an older comp (AMD Athlon x2 4000+ , 2gb ddr2 and geforce 450) and I get some lag as well. However when I tried PoE under windows (same computer) the lag seemed to disappear...to an extent. It seems to me that it may be related to how the shadows are processed. When I play in linux with shadows off, the game runs well, with some minor lag issues here and there. however when shadows are on i get major lag when new monsters and especially when bosses appear. however in windows with shadows on, the lag was minimal, and without shadows on there was virtually no lag. i think this an issue of how wine handles the graphics drivers
Last edited by FlamingNova on Jun 11, 2012, 3:05:20 PM
"
geforce 450

What version nVidia blob do you have?
i'm using 295 proprietary drivers.....the card is a Zotac Geforce 450 1gb

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info