[Official] WINE info thread

i've recently discovered as well that when running PoE in wine, in the options tab the wrong graphics card is reported. I have a Geforce GT520, but it reports in game that I have a Geforce 8300?

again, i believe this is an issue with how linux and wine handle the proprietary nvidia drivers. any thoughts?
"
FlamingNova wrote:
i've recently discovered as well that when running PoE in wine, in the options tab the wrong graphics card is reported. I have a Geforce GT520, but it reports in game that I have a Geforce 8300?

again, i believe this is an issue with how linux and wine handle the proprietary nvidia drivers. any thoughts?

grep NVIDIA /var/log/Xorg.0.log
for something like this:
[ 128.845] (II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU GeForce GTS 450 (GF106) at PCI:1:0:0 (GPU-0)

If that's reporting something else, then it's definitely your driver at fault. It shouldn't matter that much which card is detected though, I don't think the game relies on that name for capabilities, it's just telling the game which GPU to use in case of multiple cards.
"
Patchumz wrote:
Anyone know why I'm getting low FPS? (1-20 usually)

2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256 MB

Even with lowest graphics settings I max at like 25 FPS, though my GPU isn't getting pushed, I have plenty of RAM unused, and only at 50% total CPU usage throughout my entire system.

You joking?
Your gpu is awful. Take what ever level of performance you can get and be glad. Your cpu is old and bad too, but... yikes. Years ago. Years, it competed with the 8600gs, and was only upper low end /lower medium end at the time.
Today's $100 cards are many times more powerful.
Along with your low clock speed, old architecture dual core....1-20fps sounds about right to me.
Last edited by DamageIncorporated on Jun 24, 2012, 11:55:02 PM
what i dont quite understand is why the performance between windows and wine is so drastic.

it seems like my gpu isn't being utilized properly in wine.

are there some .dlls from the windows driver i can force in wine?

like the cuda dll for example?
Has anyone had issues with effects lag? I get ~40FPS relatively stable on FC17 with the Catalyst beta12.6 drivers (on my RadeonHD5850), which is fine, but whenever I use a skill with crazy effects on it (lightning strike, for instance), I lock up for 0.5-2 seconds. It seems to be longer the first time I use the skill, but other than that the delay really seems to vary.

I'm assuming that it's to do with the beta Catalyst drivers, but that's all I can use unless I want to downgrade my Xorg (FC17 comes with 1.12 which doesn't play nice with Catalyst12.4). Is there any chance it's not that? Or is it possible to simplify the effects graphics to maybe help?

Also, I am running with --nosound.
Last edited by Topknot on Jul 2, 2012, 10:10:21 PM
So i want to know does any1 here useing linux for this game haveing any errors like unable to map or out of memeory etc and are u able to play with current patch etc
"
So i want to know does any1 here useing linux for this game haveing any errors like unable to map or out of memeory etc and are u able to play with current patch etc

This game runs perfectly in 64-bit linux and wine, though it needs a few tweaks in the wine config. The only problem I have which seems to be linked to my platform is the font being slightly wrong. From installer to end-game, it plays normally.
Last edited by ionface on Jul 6, 2012, 5:12:38 AM
"
ionface wrote:
"

This game runs perfectly in 64-bit linux and wine, though it needs a few tweaks in the wine config. The only problem I have which seems to be linked to my platform is the font being slightly wrong. From installer to end-game, it plays normally.

What are those tweaks? The game is running fine although sometimes the framerate stutters and skips a few frames, which can be pretty annoying.
"
Distress3 wrote:

What are those tweaks? The game is running fine although sometimes the framerate stutters and skips a few frames, which can be pretty annoying.

I think these may be caused by shader [in]efficiency. I have PoE installed on both my wife's desktop as well as mine. Hers has a 9600 GSO 512, mine has a 9800 GT. The rest of the hardware is pretty similar. She gets the slowdowns on some effects if post-processing is enabled, I don't. The biggest difference between our cards is the video memory amount (512 vs 1gb) and number of stream processors.

See if disabling post processing helps your situation.

--

About the OpenAL thing. I wasn't experiencing it until I played on my wife's Ubuntu 12.04 system. I dug around in this thread and saw that OpenAL was the culprit (though pulse can also be craptastic). I looked on my gentoo box, which I haven't updated in a while because everything is very stable with my current build, and the openal version is 1.11.753. It's working fine with the game and I copied it over to the Ubuntu machine and linked libopenal.so to it and all is well now.
Last edited by crl775m on Jul 11, 2012, 4:44:31 AM
"
crl775m wrote:
"
Distress3 wrote:

I think these may be caused by shader [in]efficiency. I have PoE installed on both my wife's desktop as well as mine. Hers has a 9600 GSO 512, mine has a 9800 GT. The rest of the hardware is pretty similar. She gets the slowdowns on some effects if post-processing is enabled, I don't. The biggest difference between our cards is the video memory amount (512 vs 1gb) and number of stream processors.

See if disabling post processing helps your situation.

I already had to disable post processing because the fetid pools was bugging out and was all black when i had it enabled.

I later ran in to a bug in the Rocky Climb area where it crashed about half a minute after i entered the area, no matter what I did. I now dual boot windows and the game runs so much more smooth.

Claiming that the game runs perfectly in 64-bit linux is a bit optimistic.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info