[Official] WINE info thread

Tried it under Fedora 17 on an IBM Core Duo laptop with 3 Gigs of RAM, with default desktop and with whatever Wine it gets by default, the game does not seem to start, I see the "checking resources" window, then the following errors pop up:

The D3D device has a non-zero reference count, meaning some objects are not released.

Failed resetting Direct 3D device objects.

DXUTCreateDevice failed.

These messages appear in three consecutive dialogs, after each is dismissed. After the final one is dismissed the system partially freezes for a minute, then returns to normal.
Cpu cores hit 100% together for a few seconds, then drop to 60% for a minute, then spike again one after the other, then drop to nothing.
Memory never goes past 60%.

I've pulled in all the D3D stuff with winetricks, to no effect.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be interested.
Last edited by GuyOnEarth on Jun 13, 2012, 6:14:30 PM
would help to know what version of Wine you're using.
Also what drivers you're using.

You say this is running on a laptop... if I had to guess, the video card is not sufficient to run the game.
It probably wouldn't even run in Windows.
私は日本語がわかりません。
Ich kann kein deutsch.
I don't speak english.
Eu não falo português.
Non parlo italiano.
Je ne parle pas français.
(☆ゝ☆)♪♪♪
i would make sure you're running a recent version of wine. use playonlinux and install it in it's own virtual drive using wine 1.5 or higher.

from my earlier posts... i actually mispoke... i am using a Zotac Geforce GT 520 1gb. There is a massive difference between running it natively on windows 7 64bit and wine in linux.

in wine, when new monsters appear on the screen, there is a jump in server frame time and a drop in fps. it is much more dramatic when shadows are turned on or resolution is at max.
however in windows that problem is non-existant. if my old-ass equipment is ever stressed (like with max shadows, max resolution in the forest levels in act 2) my fps drops, but there is never any stuttering in the gameplay like there is when using wine.

the only difference in setups between my windows drive and linux drive is that i'm using the 301.42 nvidia drivers in windows and the 295 drivers in linux.
"
eg0e wrote:
would help to know what version of Wine you're using.
Also what drivers you're using.

You say this is running on a laptop... if I had to guess, the video card is not sufficient to run the game.
It probably wouldn't even run in Windows.

Wine version was wine-1.5.3-1.fc17.i686.

Video driver is Fedora default for Intel 945 chipset.

It was more an experiment to see if the game would run in WINE than a serious attempt to play it on this hardware. It seemed to install OK.
Last edited by GuyOnEarth on Jun 13, 2012, 11:16:14 PM
First off, thank you to everyone here. I got POE to work fairly well in Linux Mint 13 with MATE. I'm curious though about one thing. The feature to compare equipped items by pressing ALT does not work for me under Linux (works in Win7). Is this common for everyone?

Edit: Nevermind, figured it out. In the Wine configuration, if 'Allow the window manager to control the windows' is checked then pressing alt affects window functions, but not item comparison in game. Disabling that option allows the game to compare items with the alt key.
You can also just remap the 'highlight items and objects' key, but Alt seems like a good choice.
Last edited by jumpingcow on Jun 15, 2012, 12:12:18 AM
Since this is the whine tread. I am waiting for me key far too long!!!
So after long time again, i wanted to ask whether or not someone was able to figure out a workaround, which would solve this weird particle problem in whine, that since version 1.5 i beleieve caused certain skills and the usage of a wand to crash the game. Haven´t been able to play ever since and so far there seem to be only performance relatet posts lately. How have you, who obviously can play the game, managed to get it working?

greetings M3ph
"
M3phisto wrote:
So after long time again, i wanted to ask whether or not someone was able to figure out a workaround, which would solve this weird particle problem in whine, that since version 1.5 i beleieve caused certain skills and the usage of a wand to crash the game. Haven´t been able to play ever since and so far there seem to be only performance relatet posts lately. How have you, who obviously can play the game, managed to get it working?

greetings M3ph

Have you tried what was posted on the winedb page? It seems to fix the wand crash for most people. It's been edited onto the bottom of the first post aswell (although, to be fair, that would be very easy to miss if you'd read the post before).

"
To solve the audio freeze when using active skills I added openal32 native under winecfg libraries tab.

If you're not sure what that means, I did a little walk-through on page 21 of this thread.
Great thread, always forget how to handle *.msi files
was quite shocked tbh, thought they were all dead and gone nowadays
Almost thought this was the thread to go in for whining... then I realized....

DOH and LOL /facepalm "damnit Riker"

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info