[Official] WINE info thread

Works in gentoo perfectly with this fairly current setup:

wine 1.5.4 (wine 1.4 also works fine.)
openal 1.13 (wine USE flag openal)
nvidia drivers 295.40
gentoo sources 3.3.5 (have not tried 3.4 kernel yet)
profile: amd64/10.0/desktop (multilib)

Issues (fixed):
PulseAudio with wine/openal causes crashes from lightning/burning arrows and other things, so I call wine with WINENOPULSE=1 in the environment. You might be able to disable winepulse.drv in winecfg, but I'm lazy so I just set up this alias in the bottom of my ~/.bashrc

alias poe='cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Grinding\ Gear\ Games/Path\ of\ Exile/; WINENOPULSE=1 wine Client.exe'

The following error/disconnect is from not having samba support compiled in to wine. (wine USE flag samba)

err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path.

Issues (not fixed):
It takes a while on a black screen with PoE cursor when loading the game.

The in-game font has a slight glitchy feel to it, extra bits of lines where they shouldn't be. Wine is throwing fixme:font:get_nearest_charset and TCI failing on 20000000 messages and tells me "(Resource temporarily unavailable)" though it clearly accessed the correct fonts before (I grabbed them with 'winetricks allfonts' and strace shows they are being accessed). Either due to a lack of something I need to compile in, or a bug in wine, the look of the text isn't a problem to me enough to look at it more right now.

What I tested: beta 0.9.9e, different characters and difficulties

What works: everything I expect. Beautiful graphics and sound, fun game.
Last edited by ionface on May 26, 2012, 4:26:40 AM
I'm having sound-related crashes, I'm using the winealsa.drv sound driver, using --nosound has fixed it but I'd like to play with sound if possible.

What workaround do you suggest? thanks.

UPDATE: The crash happens on lightning and fire arrows, as reported. Using the commands pasuspender and WINENOPULSE isn't fixing it. So far, the only way to prevent the crash is to play without sound.

Any way around it? Thanks!
Last edited by Falcord on May 22, 2012, 10:59:57 AM
"
Falcord wrote:
I'm having sound-related crashes, I'm using the winealsa.drv sound driver, using --nosound has fixed it but I'd like to play with sound if possible.

What workaround do you suggest? thanks.

UPDATE: The crash happens on lightning and fire arrows, as reported. Using the commands pasuspender and WINENOPULSE isn't fixing it. So far, the only way to prevent the crash is to play without sound.

Any way around it? Thanks!

If it's available to you, try updating OpenAL to 1.14 (32-bit libs). To me it sounds like your wine is still trying to use PA... The winehq people say pasuspender does bad things, so perhaps look further into not using that to turn off PA.

Tell us more about your system if 1.14 doesn't fix the thing.

Edit:
~~~~~
If you already posted the info previously in the thread, please quote it again here or link the post for me.

Are you in a 64-bit multilib environment? Which distro, which kernel? Stable or unstable? More details please. How is PA set up, system-wide?

If you ARE in gentoo, do an emerge --info and pastebin it.

The package containing my /usr/lib32/libopenal.so.1.13.0 is emul-linux-x86-sdl. Since 1.14 is so recent, it's not in portage yet. If I couldn't shut down PA from wine, I would have to make a 32-bit chroot for wine so that I could build the appropriate openal (version 1.14 in 32-bit). That's basically installing a barebones base system in a new directory/partition for x86-only sofware.

Last edited by ionface on May 22, 2012, 10:11:36 PM
Have you tried what I posted a few pages back? A few people including myself tried it and it seemed to fix the audio issues.

"

Just as a heads up to anyone interested, there is way to get the sound working. Someone posted this on the appdb page:

To solve the audio freeze when using active skills I added openal32 native under winecfg libraries tab.

ok... i had to tread through enough headache to make it work, and TBH, the sound is glitchy, which to me is irrelevant, but I got it to live.
Note to others that may prove helpful.
if your wine prefix is located in/under your home path under linux, be REALLY certain you have enough drive space given to the OS to install the game which may prove a difficulty if you have the stock Precise 12 space allocation, or the install WILL Fail upon attempting to allocate space.
If this occurs, you WILL need to delete Content.ggpk and start again.
"
apocolypse600 wrote:
Have you tried what I posted a few pages back? A few people including myself tried it and it seemed to fix the audio issues.

"

Just as a heads up to anyone interested, there is way to get the sound working. Someone posted this on the appdb page:

To solve the audio freeze when using active skills I added openal32 native under winecfg libraries tab.

Wow, dude.

This has to be on a sticky, or pasted bold in every page. I love you.

Not only this did fix the crashes, but the game actually runs much better now! I don't get the slight FPS delays I had before, and I'm sure it's not my imagination.

Now I can use (and hear) those skills without worrying.

Thank you very, very much.
"
Falcord wrote:
"
apocolypse600 wrote:

"

Wow, dude.

This has to be on a sticky, or pasted bold in every page. I love you.

Not only this did fix the crashes, but the game actually runs much better now! I don't get the slight FPS delays I had before, and I'm sure it's not my imagination.

Now I can use (and hear) those skills without worrying.

Thank you very, very much.

No worries, it's not like I actually did anything :)

I just keep monitoring the thread, and if anyone posts an audio issue, I'll refer them to that. As a heads up, if you are having issues with something through wine you should always check out the appdb page.

Another post on the appdb pages says that updating openal to 1.4 should fix the issue with no config required, but it's probably just easier to over-ride the dll in winecfg.

If anyone doesn’t know what I'm talking about: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=25078
Last edited by apocolypse600 on May 24, 2012, 5:24:42 PM
So i can play this on Ubuntu for example? That would be amazing. Only reason i even use windows is because thar are more games for it. Really hope they come out with a native linux client.
Cant wait to play PoE :P
first post updated
Can someone post a guide on how to update OpenAL or PulseAudio?
私は日本語がわかりません。
Ich kann kein deutsch.
I don't speak english.
Eu não falo português.
Non parlo italiano.
Je ne parle pas français.
(☆ゝ☆)♪♪♪

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info