Stop spreading the Evasion vs Armor fallacy

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
anubite wrote:
2. Armor is actually more prone to spikes in damage taken than Evasion.
Close enough. Proof time.

First off, if you haven't read about how evasion entropy works, stop quoting me and read the mechanics thread. Thank you.
Maths

*ahem* Let's try 60% armour reduction vs 100 damage (zero evasion rating) vs 50% evade (zero armour) with 10% enemy crit chance, 200% enemy crit multiplier, 100 enemy physical damage, 30 enemy elemental damage, and 50% elemental resists on both. Each takes 4000 hits.

Armour vs "criticals"
400 critical attacks
20 attempts evaded (base 5% chance)
380 critical attacks pass first evasion roll
19 attempts evaded second roll (become normal attacks)
361 critical strike pass both rolls

Armour vs "non-crits"
3600 attacks
180 evaded
3420 hits

Armour totals
200 evasions
3420+19=3439 normal strikes at 40 physical 15 elemental = 137560 phys 51585 elem 189145 total
361 critical strikes at 114 physical 30 elemental = 41154 phys 10830 elem 51984 total
3800 combined strikes at 178714 phys 62415 elem 241129 total damage

Evasion vs "criticals"
400 critical attacks
200 attempts evaded
200 critical attacks pass first evasion roll
100 attempts evaded second roll (become normal attacks)
100 critical strike pass both rolls

Evasion vs "non-crits"
3600 attacks
1800 evaded
1800 hits

Evasion totals
2000 evasions
1900 normal strikes at 100 physical 15 elemental = 190000 phys 28500 elem 218500 total
100 critical strikes at 200 physical 30 elemental = 20000 phys 3000 elem 23000 total
2000 combined strikes at 210000 phys 31500 elem 24150 total damage

So point 1 is that evading 50% of attacks is roughly equivalent to having 60% mitigation from armour, at least in the situations that are actually kind of scary (who cares about the ones that aren't?)

Now damage spikiness. Let's say a critical attack that hits, 1 attack before and 2 after,the two after are with shock status...
Maths

With armour, let's assume no evades, that would be
40 + 114 + 2*1.3*40 = 258 physical
15 + 30 + 2*1.3*15 = 84 elemental
342 total damage

With evasion, the first and third attacks are always evaded, the second is still the crit:
200 + 1.3*100 = 330 physical
30 + 1.3*15 = 49 elemental
379 total damage

So compared to 60% armour mitigation, 50% dodge is a little bit spikier. A little. About 11% more if you want to pull out percentages.

However, I should point out that evasion in this case has crits occur less than a third as often as armour. So yes, you'll be at a 11% disadvantage about 28% of the time, and at a huge advantage the other 72% of the time with evasion.

If you were arguing with anubite over the technical detail of whether evasion is spikier than armour... well okay. You might have had a point. But a review of this thread indicates it's mostly evasion whiners and some sophistry regarding the definition of random. So no, anubite's more right than you, you can proceed to the apology phase now. Thank you.

I have no idea who you are addressing with this otherwise wonderful post, Scrotie. :(

___

Math. So much math. Never was any good at it. And yes, I'm Asian. Well, half.

Life is king. We all know it. With enough life, you can probably go either all armour or all evasion. I prefer all evasion supplemented with A/PA/AD, good block chance and of course resists. Because that elephant someone mentioned earlier is precisely the point: evasion will handle all incoming attack damage; armour only handles the physical component.

This is what I experienced when I switch from high (65% or so) evasion to IR (resulting in some stupidly insanely high damage reduction %) -- I was getting hit a lot more (DUH) and those hits were far more often crits. And a lot of them were elementally-augmented, which meant I was being frozen/shocked/set on fire a LOT more than were I evading.

The C screen, in which far too many people place their faith, does not take the effect of this status debilitation into account at all. It's also why some people have no idea why Sporking is so good because the listed DPS is crap -- gee, you're shocking the whole room into 120% extra damage, what do you think? Same issue here. The numbers for armour shit all over evasion, and for the longest time I fell for that too.

I have Zakaluka to thank for showing me (very slowly, because he speaks a funny language with lots of numbers in it) that evasion isn't as easy to 'read' and thus judge as armour. I mean, I always knew that because when I play evasion, I just feel more durable than when I play armour. Seriously. As Scrotie has pointed out, 50% evasion chance is roughly equivalent to 60% damage mitigation -- that alone is hard for some players to get their heads around.

What tipped it for me was this second roll for crits that evasion gets. When Chris told me about it I was like, well, we'll see. And in initial testing, I didn't see much change.

But once I switched to armour and started getting all those crits, holy crap. GGG be clever, yo.

I dunno, I probably haven't added anything to this thread other than to say, 'I get this, and I have no idea why or now.' Experience backs up the theory, so to speak.

Predecessor! Paragon is BACK.
Finished Dragons Dogma 2 at 327 hours, 9 playthroughs. Loved every minute.
Holy shit, Assassins Creed ARPG trilogy isnt shit. 3D titan quest with better writing?
Dungeon Encounters is brilliant. Square Enix should stop banking on bloatjunk like ffxvi and ff7r.
Anyone care to post a summary?

Is Pure Evasion a viable way to survive? :D
Alexis
*smiles*

=@[.]@= boggled
=~[.]^= naughty wink
Pure Evasion with Life so you have a pool for those hits you will take yes.
Beyond_Bow_BobMKIII Level 80 Tornado Shot Scion
"
anubite wrote:

The only two games I know of to use biased-deterministic-RNG are POE and LOL.

Not sure if anyone pointed it out... but Blizzard has also implemented this in Warcraft III. I know because I play DoTA a long time ago, the ancestor of LOL.

edit: oops, I guess someone did mentioned it. Oh well. Just feel uneasy every time when I see someone mentioned LOL, but not DoTA. Don't get me wrong, I love them equally.
Alice_of_Wraeclast - Dagger CI Witch
Alice_MadnessReturns - Molten Strike AoF witch
Flavour Build concept taken from Alice: Madness Returns
Last edited by wxyjac on Feb 1, 2013, 1:09:10 AM
"
1. Armor is no less prone to "RNG" than Evasion.

Armor is not a flat damage reduction. Armor is significantly less effective versus critical strikes. Monsters critically strike randomly. It is possible to take random spikes of damage while in armor.

This is incorrect. The existence of some minor, indirect (via crits) random element in armor does not make it just as RNG-prone as evasion. The effects of armor are completely static and the randomness of critical hits does not make armor random by association.

"

Evasion has psuedo-RNG. The same monster CANNOT hit you in long consistent strings, if a monster hits you X times, your evasion rating will FORCE a miss after a certain number of landed hits. Go read the mechanics thread. Evasion also has a hidden mechanic of reducing enemy critical strike chance.

Considering PoE's design, which leans towards instances of insanely high damage that threatens to one-shot you, evasion is by definition more prone to spike damage. Armor partially evens out incoming damage while evasion does nothing except stagger the rhythm of incoming hits. The same logic applies here as in all other games with separate mechanics for avoidance and mitigation.

"
3. Evasion is not a substitute for life. Neither is armor.

I'm tired of people saying that evasion sucks and that all dex classes must go iron reflexes. If you have a decent enough maxmimum life, evasion and/or armor are good. Evasion is best against single hard-hitting targets, like rares and bosses. Armor is best against swarms of enemies, where you're frequently surrounded and struck many times in a short time.

If you have no/little armor, there are many things in the game that will one-shot you guaranteed. Many things. Like entire classes of mobs. It isn't realistically feasible to get enough life that these things become survivable with zero mitigation. A build without armor has an expiration date and will die sooner or later - probably sooner - from a hit that just isn't survivable. One can choose to accept this and play that way, but that doesn't really change anything.

"
Stop convincing new players that evasion is "RNG" - it's not. You will not take some random burst of damage under evasion that kill you any more often than if you were using armor. If you're being one-shot in evasion gear, you would have been one-shot in armor - Brutus landing a crit on either defensive spec is going to hurt massively. Make sure you have a sufficient amount of maximum life.

This is simply in stark opposition to the truth. If you ignore armor and build for evasion, you are more prone to dying from a random burst of damage. You aren't necessarily more prone to dying in general, though I think that's also the case, but it is self-evidently true that the chance of dying to spike damage is increased when building in a way that makes you take more spike damage.

Armor is not reduced to zero effectiveness just because a mob hits hard, and if you build correctly, you can have enough armor to fairly easily tank Brutus, Vaal-smash, or pretty much anything else. In fact, you can build so that the only thing that has a high chance of killing you quickly is chaos damage. If you do the opposite and ignore mitigation in favor of avoidance, you are guaranteeing that something will eventually instakill you.

Evasion's randomization mechanic is artificial, like Warcraft III's, but is still relatively random. More importantly, avoidance by definition does not affect single-instance damage. It only affects your chance of getting hit, and as such it makes absolutely no sense to claim that it can prevent spike damage. Since this game is specifically designed to have a "sponge" damage model - much like Everquest had, in fact - it becomes doubly important to maximize mitigation, even at the expense of avoidance. Getting hit many times is not what's likely to kill you, getting hit once for all your life is the real danger. Look at what almost all the HC players die from: one- and two-shots. This is precisely why they're pouring everything into armor, trying to prevent that.

"
Spreading misconceptions is toxic

Then stop doing it.
Welcome to the thread, Jakabov. I take it you didn't read my post. Might want to scroll up to it. Probably also a good idea to familiarize yourself with evasion entropy over in the Mechanics thread if you haven't done so already.

For a quick summary:
1. The evasion entropy mechanic almost completely mitigates randomness; there is almost zero RNG involved with evasion. Also, it's not wise to underestimate criticals.
2. If you mean literally getting one-shot, of course evasion is worse, it would have to be. If you mean getting two-shot, they're surprisingly close; I proved this mathematically above.
3. Remember that closed beta CI build that everyone was always whining about? Lots of "life," no armour, no dodge. And everyone thought it was hideously overpowered. If you have a LOT of life or ES, you don't really need other defenses, although it's optimal to get them anyway because defenses are good.
4. Regardless of whether spreading misconceptions is toxic or not, I think we can all get behind reading the thread before posting a wall of text emphatically claiming that someone is wrong. Might save some embarrassment.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
anubite wrote:
"
fevgatos wrote:
"
anubite wrote:

The only two games I know of to use biased-deterministic-RNG are POE and LOL. I don't think it's widespread at all. But that's besides the point - Qarl assures us that evasion protects against "randomness" - which is the completely wrong argument use to justify not using evasion. Evasion is not random, you should not experience random spikes in damage with evasion. Evasion IS poor against swarms of monsters and thus is poor if you're going to go into melee range against a swarm of monkies or squids, but it is not poor because of some erratic, random nature.

Evasion is a consistent mechanic. It is not random.

DotA uses the same system. Anyways, back to evasion.

Its not about being unlucky and not getting evades. I know that's out of the question. Thing is, no matter how much evasion you have, your HP always need to be at least 4 to 5 times more than the enemy's damage, else you'll die.

But that simply isn't true. Because when Brutus hits you with a critical strike, you basically have no armor. The damage done by enemies like Brutus (and certain rare monsters, like bears) is so large your damage reduction from armor is pitiful; easily less than 10 to 15% (that is not 4 or 5 times). You need similar amounts of life for evasion and armor, you cannot, absolutely cannot tell me that armor builds can work with less life than an evasion build. Both kinds of builds need significant amounts of life.

Taking 4 or 5 hits from Brutus is probably death! If you're dying in four or five hits from a monkey, then you have a life problem, not an armor or evasion problem.

With the way % life regen works, armor builds get just as much life as evasion builds. There's no reason even to have a smaller life pool with armor because you're just hurting the synergy of % life regen and endurance charges. Evasion doesn't have % life regen (or that much of it potentially), so it in theory is less reliant on life than armor...

The main problem is that too many players have this incorrect idea about evasion/armor because when they play a ranger or a shadow, they get all those juicy offensive nodes INSTEAD of life! This is why they blame evasion. Listen, there are LOTS of life nodes for both of those classes and you NEED to take them, you cannot say, "Well, I'll just dodge more." Because getting over 60% evasion chance is pretty much impossible.

400 life (even with 100 ES) is not enough survivability for level 30; Piety will CRUSH you, CB Vaal would tear you apart with his chaos minions; you cannot build glass cannon in this game and you need to keep increasing your life. In HC, the minimum cut-off is 3k life at 60, unless you're doing a crazy wacky build, but for the common player, you cannot be under 3k life. You need to linearly increase your life to this amount by constantly upgrading the +life on your gear and the +life% from your tree.

Bull shit. I solo'd vaal Merciless in CB with 470HP and 0 ES.
IGN: TsuruyaNyro
"
Jakabov wrote:
"
1. Armor is no less prone to "RNG" than Evasion.

Armor is not a flat damage reduction. Armor is significantly less effective versus critical strikes. Monsters critically strike randomly. It is possible to take random spikes of damage while in armor.

This is incorrect. The existence of some minor, indirect (via crits) random element in armor does not make it just as RNG-prone as evasion. The effects of armor are completely static and the randomness of critical hits does not make armor random by association.

"

Evasion has psuedo-RNG. The same monster CANNOT hit you in long consistent strings, if a monster hits you X times, your evasion rating will FORCE a miss after a certain number of landed hits. Go read the mechanics thread. Evasion also has a hidden mechanic of reducing enemy critical strike chance.

Considering PoE's design, which leans towards instances of insanely high damage that threatens to one-shot you, evasion is by definition more prone to spike damage. Armor partially evens out incoming damage while evasion does nothing except stagger the rhythm of incoming hits. The same logic applies here as in all other games with separate mechanics for avoidance and mitigation.

"
3. Evasion is not a substitute for life. Neither is armor.

I'm tired of people saying that evasion sucks and that all dex classes must go iron reflexes. If you have a decent enough maxmimum life, evasion and/or armor are good. Evasion is best against single hard-hitting targets, like rares and bosses. Armor is best against swarms of enemies, where you're frequently surrounded and struck many times in a short time.

If you have no/little armor, there are many things in the game that will one-shot you guaranteed. Many things. Like entire classes of mobs. It isn't realistically feasible to get enough life that these things become survivable with zero mitigation. A build without armor has an expiration date and will die sooner or later - probably sooner - from a hit that just isn't survivable. One can choose to accept this and play that way, but that doesn't really change anything.

"
Stop convincing new players that evasion is "RNG" - it's not. You will not take some random burst of damage under evasion that kill you any more often than if you were using armor. If you're being one-shot in evasion gear, you would have been one-shot in armor - Brutus landing a crit on either defensive spec is going to hurt massively. Make sure you have a sufficient amount of maximum life.

This is simply in stark opposition to the truth. If you ignore armor and build for evasion, you are more prone to dying from a random burst of damage. You aren't necessarily more prone to dying in general, though I think that's also the case, but it is self-evidently true that the chance of dying to spike damage is increased when building in a way that makes you take more spike damage.

Armor is not reduced to zero effectiveness just because a mob hits hard, and if you build correctly, you can have enough armor to fairly easily tank Brutus, Vaal-smash, or pretty much anything else. In fact, you can build so that the only thing that has a high chance of killing you quickly is chaos damage. If you do the opposite and ignore mitigation in favor of avoidance, you are guaranteeing that something will eventually instakill you.

Evasion's randomization mechanic is artificial, like Warcraft III's, but is still relatively random. More importantly, avoidance by definition does not affect single-instance damage. It only affects your chance of getting hit, and as such it makes absolutely no sense to claim that it can prevent spike damage. Since this game is specifically designed to have a "sponge" damage model - much like Everquest had, in fact - it becomes doubly important to maximize mitigation, even at the expense of avoidance. Getting hit many times is not what's likely to kill you, getting hit once for all your life is the real danger. Look at what almost all the HC players die from: one- and two-shots. This is precisely why they're pouring everything into armor, trying to prevent that.

"
Spreading misconceptions is toxic

Then stop doing it.

If you die to 1 or 2 shots, you should be stacking LIFE not armor or evasion.
In this game, 1 life is more or less equal to 1 effective life due to the natural variance of evasion (Even if it's a psuedo-random distribution evasion) and the damage spikes due to crits on armor. In order to maximize EHP, one should just stack life because the mitigation from armor is pitiful on some hits which is how people get one or two shot, while the "randomness" of evasion also hurts when one could be one or two shot.
IGN: TsuruyaNyro
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Welcome to the thread, Jakabov. I take it you didn't read my post. Might want to scroll up to it. Probably also a good idea to familiarize yourself with evasion entropy over in the Mechanics thread if you haven't done so already.

For a quick summary:
1. The evasion entropy mechanic almost completely mitigates randomness; there is almost zero RNG involved with evasion. Also, it's not wise to underestimate criticals.
2. If you mean literally getting one-shot, of course evasion is worse, it would have to be. If you mean getting two-shot, they're surprisingly close; I proved this mathematically above.
3. Remember that closed beta CI build that everyone was always whining about? Lots of "life," no armour, no dodge. And everyone thought it was hideously overpowered. If you have a LOT of life or ES, you don't really need other defenses, although it's optimal to get them anyway because defenses are good.
4. Regardless of whether spreading misconceptions is toxic or not, I think we can all get behind reading the thread before posting a wall of text emphatically claiming that someone is wrong. Might save some embarrassment.

I take it you didn't read his post either.

He clearly knows about the evasion entropy mechanic.
Alice_of_Wraeclast - Dagger CI Witch
Alice_MadnessReturns - Molten Strike AoF witch
Flavour Build concept taken from Alice: Madness Returns
I would like to point out that the devs has said that evasion is the best option in endgame, provided you have the hp to survive a crit or two. Most people dont bother to read or understand the mechanics behind any of the three defense choices. If you stack massive evasion with acrobatics you become sick nasty unhittable. All you need is enough hp to survive the hits that make it through, and its amazing.
HAIL SATAN!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info