Stop spreading the Evasion vs Armor fallacy

"
anubite wrote:
Stop convincing new players that evasion is "RNG" - it's not. You will not take some random burst of damage under evasion that kill you any more often than if you were using armor. If you're being one-shot in evasion gear, you would have been one-shot in armor - Brutus landing a crit on either defensive spec is going to hurt massively. Make sure you have a sufficient amount of maximum life.

Evasion's basic effect is not random, but its critical protection is.

Then again, Armour gives no special protection against crits, so as you say, either way it's going to hurt if the crit lands (it's just that good Evasion makes that far less likely). The 'reduced enemy crit multiplier' nodes near the Marauder starting area look like a very good idea to me.

For a proper comparison of Armour and Evasion, you really have to throw in the interactions with other defences. For instance Endurance charges are MUCH more effective if you already have heavy armour soaking up a lot of the damage, whilst Evasion builds have the advantage of keystones like Acrobatics and Arrow Dodging.
"
AhlenS wrote:
This post is seriously incorrect. I'm at work or I would take the time to vigorously debunk it. Perhaps later.

I would like to see you back this up. As it stands all you are doing going "your wrong" which is rather silly.
Beyond_Bow_BobMKIII Level 80 Tornado Shot Scion
Anubite's post is correct.

For terminology though, you say "Evasion has psuedo-RNG.". This is a misuse of the term "pseudo". All RNG made by man is pseudo-random. They're all numbers you can predict, if you know the generator's function and initial seed. Only in nature you find true RNG.

I think what you mean is "Evasion has deterministic, or entropic RNG". The generated sequence of numbers is still RNG, but the chance for success changes according to your previous success/failures.
Last edited by Thalandor on Jan 31, 2013, 4:58:15 PM
"
Thalandor wrote:
Anubite's post is correct.

For terminology though, you say "Evasion has psuedo-RNG.". This is a misuse of the term "pseudo". All RNG made by man is pseudo-random. They're all numbers you can predict, if you know the generator's function and initial seed. Only in nature you find true RNG.

I think what you mean is "Evasion has deterministic, or entropic RNG". The generated sequence of numbers is still RNG, but the chance for success changes according to your previous success/failures.

You're right. But I was trying to keep things simple.

Maybe psuedo-psuedo-random is the easier phrase? lol

I guess your answer is more helpful. Evasion is more or less determined based on previous rolls, though to the casual eye you could not tell what hit was going to be an evade and what was not.
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282
Last edited by anubite on Jan 31, 2013, 5:31:36 PM
The important thing to bear in mind is that the Damage Reduction & Chance to Evade figures given in the Character panel are estimates based on imaginary scenarios. Your actual Damage Reduction & Chance to Evade differ with virtually every mob type depending on how much damage they do pre-reduction & how much accuracy they have.
99% of suggested changes would make the game easier. Thats why only 1% of suggested ideas are even worth considering.
"
anubite wrote:

Your example is a poor one, because there are no monster packs in the game that do 100 damage a hit (Brutus is a boss and does not come in packs) when you have sub 400 life.

The amount of armor required to get 50% damage reduction is much harder to get than the amount of evasion required to get 50% evasion chance, by the way. It is common even for pure-armor users to be sub 35% damage reduction, even with incredible gear. This is especially true end-game. Of course, endurance charges and granite flasks can bring you up to a high amount of damage reduction, you can also use those things with evasion, although to a lesser extent.

My point is, that armor and evasion are comparable. Neither is necessarily better than the other and both are weak to "spike damage" under unfavorable circumstances. Burst damage is only countered by having a sufficient amount of maximum life.

If monsters are doing 1/3 of your life per hit, you do not have enough life and you will never have enough evasion or armor to mitigate that particular fact.

If you want to disprove my point, use real numbers, like how much life YOU have at level 50, with how much armor you have at 50, with how much damage you do/would take from a common level 50 monster. And then ask, "What if I dodged half the time instead?" That is a more fair analysis.

I was ~25-30 level with something more than 50% evasion chance. I had the best evasion gear possible for that level (foxshade white leather) and still died pretty frequently to a small pack of mobs. My max hp was shit (not more than 400 or 500 hundred coupled with ES) though.

Still, you are saying that armor and evasion are comparable, which is false. Evasion REQUIRES you to stack a lot of hp. It's not a matter of choice or preference. If you go the evasion route you HAVE to stack hp's. If you go the armor route, hp is great but its not an absolute necessity. Early on and extremely late evasion is probably better than armor, cause that point you already have tons of hp. But mid game (cruel difficulty for example) evasion is outclassed by armor a lot
"
AhlenS wrote:
This post is seriously incorrect. I'm at work or I would take the time to vigorously debunk it. Perhaps later.

Can't wait to hear it. Its always fun to listen to people who think they know what they are talking about (but are actually clueless).
"
arual wrote:
The important thing to bear in mind is that the Damage Reduction & Chance to Evade figures given in the Character panel are estimates based on imaginary scenarios. Your actual Damage Reduction & Chance to Evade differ with virtually every mob type depending on how much damage they do pre-reduction & how much accuracy they have.

Chance to evade is obviously "random", since its based on the enemy's accuracy. But how is armor just an estimate? Damage reduction , in every single game I have played is exactly that. How much %less dmg you will take. Is the mechanics here different ?
The only random part of evasion is the monster starting roll (or is it your starting roll, anyway).

If you fight 1 monster, and your evasion rating against that particular monster is 20%, you will evade 1 hit out of 5, no randomness, no luck. The random part is only when that streak starts, will you evade the 1st hit, 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th. Once you evade that hit, the next 4 will hit, and then you will evade another 1.

Anyway that's how I understood the mechanic thread explanation.

Also, your starting roll gets randomized if you dont get into a fight for a bit, so you can't go and count your hit, and when you are supposed to evade next, go see a hard hitting monster.
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/11707 -- Game Mechanics thread, answers to most of your questions.
Last edited by Blackened on Jan 31, 2013, 5:41:46 PM
"
fevgatos wrote:
"
arual wrote:

Chance to evade is obviously "random", since its based on the enemy's accuracy. But how is armor just an estimate? Damage reduction , in every single game I have played is exactly that. How much %less dmg you will take. Is the mechanics here different ?

Yes its different, Mechanic thread is an interesting read. Hard hits will not get as much dmg reduction as light hits.
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/11707 -- Game Mechanics thread, answers to most of your questions.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info