Stop spreading the Evasion vs Armor fallacy

"
Emphasy wrote:
"
Torin wrote:
OK, let me repost my suggestion here from another thread:

"I want evasion to give some evasion chance against stuns as well.
Pure armor chars can take keystone, we evasion chars don't have a real option for this. And it would help CI or high ES melee chars as well since they suffer from stun problems even more even with ES giving 50% chance to avoid stun."

And to add, it would also help hybrid AR/ES chars survive stuns. Those guys avoid hits less often and absorb a lot less and stun is probably the biggest problem.

Although Stun is a problem, you are not very likely to get stunlocked. First you should have tons of HP making Stuns less likely and second hard hitters will barely hit you enough to perform a stunlock.

Also a funny thing most people seem to forget is that Evasion protects you from elemental damage too. A lot of enemies in the game attack with at least partial elemental damage which isn't reduced by armor. So even if armor can reduce the amount of physical damage delivered with such a hit evasion is able to also nullify the elemental-part of the attack.

So in general evasion is in a very good shape, it might be true that considering pure physical damage armor would allow for less max-hp exspecially with endurance-charges, but since there are a lot of other threats you need sufficient HP with both builds if you want to avoid death.

I'm not totally sure, but constructs and snakes should use projectile-attacks which makes evasion-builds with arrow-dodging very efficient against them.

Although HP does give you a chance to avoid stun, you would need an absolute shit ton of it to give you much of a chance to avoid the stun through just hitpoints.
"
The formula used for determining whether or not a stun occurs is:
stun_chance = 200 * damage / defender_effective_max_life

Armour reduces the damage considerably for every hit (barring spike hits). Strength and armour based characters generally will have just as much if not more life as dex characters.
"

If the stun chance would be less than or equal to 25%, it's ignored, so you need to deal more than 12.5% of effective maximum life to have a chance to stun.

You need a BIG life pool for that with a dex character. If you're running endurance charges then it's pretty easy to do but then again you don't have access to any more than 4 practically.

I think I'm sold on hybrid at the moment. With endurance charges and a little armour you should have enough damage reduction to avoid stuns for the most part and you should have enough evasion (and with arrow dodging) to mitigate big hits and projectile attacks.

What irks me is that armour users get Unwavering Stance when their defence is already inherently the best form of protection against getting stunned.
Last edited by Brussel_Sprout on Feb 8, 2013, 5:15:47 PM
"
Ropetus wrote:
Actually it appears they have changed the Vaal Construct projectiles into attacks. I tested this with my Arrow Dodging Duelist and he could stand next to a bunch without getting hit at all. This would not be the case if they were spells.

Huh, that wasn't my experience. My pure Evasion Ranger can generally ignore archers and so on, but she was taking a pounding from Vaal Constructs.

Brussel_Sprout: One reason to take US is that some attacks have a chance to stun that is not based on damage. For instance (Shield) Charge auto-stuns if you get any sort of run-up, and Vulnerability curse gives every attack a chance to stun.
Last edited by Incompetent on Feb 8, 2013, 5:33:26 PM
I just started playing PoE so take what I say with a grain of salt.

My first MMORPG was City of Villains, and if there's one thing that game taught me about creating survivable heroes, its layered mitigation. No single stat or style will trump well layered mitigation, short of temporary god-mode boosts.

all i can say is when i had only 10k evasion with enfeeble and blind i pretty much never got hit by an attack in merciless.

if i stuck with the character i could have easily reacher 15-20k evasion. downside was my dps was horrible =(.
ign = ultrahiangle
Does evasion have an equivalent to a granite of iron skin that gets improved by +armor nodes? No? Then this thread is wrong and YOU should stop telling new players how to make their gameplay experience worse.

The point at which evasion can even compete with armor due to the aforementioned flask comes so late that by then the person knows very well when, why and how they should use evasion.

"
Cronos988 wrote:
The fact that evasion is very good on paper, yet is underused ingame might point to the fact that the Problem isn't evasion itself, but something that is commonly associated with evasion builds.

By the looks of it, what really makes armor more powerful is that armor gear and passives are all associated with strength, which in turn is associated with HP (str gives HP, armor nodes are closer to good HP nodes).

HP is what everyone needs, so while mechanically, evasion is stronger, the meta-interaction of armour and strength gives the false impression that evasion itself is weak. In fact it is Dexterity that is weak both as a stat and as an area in the passive tree.

The problem with evasion is the aforementioned paragraphs by me AND the fact that there are certain undodgeable monster attacks in the game that will deal a medium to high amount of damage, which evasion does not help against. Eg chargers.
@Aelloon
Last edited by Aelloon on Feb 21, 2013, 10:32:47 PM
There are plenty of flasks that give quite strong evasion buffs. Like this one for instance
When I use that flask my average evasion rating jumps up to around 90%.

Also all attacks are dodgeable in an evasion build to some degree or another. A great way to avoid chargers is to take one step out of the way.
HAIL SATAN!
Last edited by tramshed on Feb 21, 2013, 11:58:31 PM
"
tramshed wrote:
There are plenty of flasks that give quite strong evasion buffs. Like this one for instance
When I use that flask my average evasion rating jumps up to around 90%.

Also all attacks are dodgeable in an evasion build to some degree or another. A great way to avoid chargers is to take one step out of the way.

Yeah, I don't think you quite know what you're talking about from experience, particularly when linking that flask when I mentioned iron skin. And about charger: no, you won't dodge them every time.
@Aelloon
You didnt examine that flask very closely then. Your claim was that there were no flasks to compete with the granite flask, I showed you an example of exactly what you implied didnt exist.

"
Aelloon wrote:
Does evasion have an equivalent to a granite of iron skin that gets improved by +armor nodes? No? Then this thread is wrong and YOU should stop telling new players how to make their gameplay experience worse.

As for not knowing what im talking about, im currently playing a pure evasion build with arrow dodging, acrobatics, and phase acrobatics. My previous build before this was pure armor running unwavering stance. Id say Im at least reasonably familiar with how both systems work.

And yes, you can dodge those damn chargers every time if you pay attention. Heres a handy graphic how.
HAIL SATAN!
Last edited by tramshed on Feb 22, 2013, 6:26:50 AM
"
tramshed wrote:

Result: You still take damage since Rhoas don't play nice with the game's netcode.
Lag uses resolute technique, it is known.
HAIL SATAN!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info