Improved Hailrake Fight in 1.1.3

Game difficulty based on 1shot surpise deaths that players cannot prepare wothout a priori knowledge is a flawed concept.

Good that something is being done
Well, if only I didn't desync while dodging dem spaerz, it could be easy : - D Dat permafrezee tho was annoying, so I approve.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
"
Antilogy wrote:
This ruins the "fun" of dying the first time playing this game. It makes for an interesting experience.

Also what others have said, there are other areas of the game that need improvement. There is a growing feeling of a lack of direction and taking the community feedback into consideration from the devs.

new players doesnt know about element resist or anything like that.

The game wont be still alive without new players . the difficulty must be pretty easy at the start to lure those players , think before you criticize the game .
I always thought that normal Hailrake is a great learning experience, especially the "figuring out the ice spear" part. ;-) :-D
"
Antilogy wrote:
"
Chris wrote:
"
Antilogy wrote:
This ruins the "fun" of dying the first time playing this game. It makes for an interesting experience.

Also what others have said, there are other areas of the game that need improvement. There is a growing feeling of a lack of direction and taking the community feedback into consideration from the devs.

The fight will still be challenging, but in a way that allows a new player to work out how to avoid death. The change may look somewhat arbitrary, but the first half an hour of gameplay is a very important period for initial player retention. There have been and will continue to be many changes aimed directly at improving the very start of the game.

I'm sorry that you feel there's a "growing lack of direction" - this must be poor communication on my part. I understand this news post calls out a change that you don't feel is necessary, but it's part of 1.1.3 that we are already able to talk about. There are lots of other important changes on the horizon, but they're not quite firm enough to promise for this specific patch. I was trying to avoid making today's news post just "Remember to try the 48 hour cut-throat event this weekend!" and decided to reveal this small change in 1.1.3.

Are you saying people quit the game because they die a couple of times within the first half hour of this game?

If they don't learn at the start that this game is punishing if you just "yolo" it into a fight they will only learn it later on.

I don't want to seem entitled or ungrateful, because I am not trying to make potshots at you or the team, but it just seems you guys are making changes that no one has asked for or understand why they are necessary.

I dont know whats your problem , this is a free for play video game , and the developers have to analize all the parts of the game including this .
There is a lot of casual players and all the games that are free NEED casual players . if the game work to help them at the start we will probably have a better game .
If you dont know it there is a way to send PM to chris and there are players that ask for these kind of things .

Last edited by sufferthegestalt on Apr 11, 2014, 4:42:48 AM
maybe question has been asked but does it s also affect the shore map's boss?
Not sure how this was a priority? ...
well maybe this is hard for you to understand but the problem with him is DESYNC
Why do I think GGG will release a stand-alone version of PoE one day? New players are not infinite and getting some money out of what will fail sooner or later is better that nothing. The only thing I beg them to incorporate is the ability to fine-tune every aspect of the game, so that a player will be able to play any version of any league. :)
Is that right? Didn't have any issues with desync that made Hailrake more difficult.
I died to him with my first character because I had no cold res and didn't know about IS being more dangerous when you're far away from the caster. Didn't die since then except perhaps on Merciless with 0 or negative cold resist.
I think the fight was fine as it was, but I'm eager to try the new fight, too.
Someone mentioned the lack of info you had beforehand. This is something I think needs some improvement. Look at the Vaal Oversoul. Perfect fight (and quoted to death) if you know what can hit you. I mean, I don't want spoilers here, just perhaps some hints what is to come. Some inscription somewhere, rumours NPCs tell you, paintings or whatnot.
It's not such a problem in Standard and derived leagues, where you can just try again.
Hailrake is not so much trouble IMO in HC leagues, since you won't have lost much time if you die to him. But somehow I feel that some more info on certain aspects should be accessible so you don't, for example, walk up to dominus and get killed by his blood rain that was a totally new mechanic. The touch of god and light of divinity are fine, since you should have your resistances up anyway, but blood rain was a nasty surprise you couldn't have prepared for.
Same goes for corrupted area bosses and invaders probably.
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info