Content Update 1.1.1 has been Deployed!

I prefer unannounced updates.
My little tribute to Diablo 1 aka why Diablo 3 is the worst part of the series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP2ejhudUlU

ig: Witchfire_The_Unholy
Personally I liked the surprise patch. OOOOOO patch notes ;p

However, maybe the surprise patch with a tad more notice. An hour maybe in which to ensure that everyone has plenty of time to finish up what they are doing and for people who are logging in between those patch notices to have time to finish as well.

ie. I logged in just after a 20 minute patch notice. Went directly to the map I had in my invent and started the run. Only to get a 15 minute notice a couple mins later.

Possibly put a little countdown timer somewhere in the top corner of screen. so anyone just logging in can not be caught out by logging in between those patch notices

Another possibility is a patch countdown on load screen. Same as you did with the SotV countdown. There is no way to miss the patch notice that way.

This might not be the best place to add this comment, but I wanted to comment on the thread but also make a suggestion. I would prefer to just know a day ahead if there is going to be an update that requires a large download. It's not like I'm going to say no to the update, ever, I just like to schedule the update to all my systems. Which brings me to my suggestion. I heard at one point that you were trying to make the update process more modular and therefore having users need to download much smaller update packages. I have been wanting to say that you should be taking that further and designing the software for the game in a way that would allow the download of the entire game or any update as a standalone package. This would allow the download of the file once, and then be able to update multiple local systems at the same time, without having to download the same files for every machine. I personally have 3 systems I use at home, and have friends who visit and play as well. Having to download or update each machine individually just doesn't make sense. This process is sometimes referred to as an "Administrators" version. It might be desirable for other people who might have more than one computer at home, and might not have the luxury of a super high speed Internet connection. Just a thought. :)
so when finally my mage was useful bam!, nerf flameblast

gg
Once during last race season I missed the start of the race when I tried to log in at the last minute and found out I need to download a client update before I can play. My fault, I just didn't remember an update was scheduled since the last time I had played. I really wouldn't like the same to happen with a patch I didn't even know about beforehand.

For this reason alone I'd prefer patches announced at least a day or two beforehand.

Nice, now summonners will get some love...
Good patch!! I really like it.

Keep up the good work GGG =D
I'd say it's situational:

Minor patches (tweaks/bug fixes/etc): Take your time. As another user pointed out, you might feel rushed to deliver.

Significant changes (skill changes/passive balancing): Your player base is heavy into theory craft. I spent the better part of a day theorizing a leveling build based on flameblast then this patch nerfed the strategy. I would have preferred to know about that in advance.

Letting us know sooner allows us to influence the course of action as well (man to be a part of a round table discussion!)! Gives us that feeling of being involved.

This game is great because you put us at the helm of the ship (login screen, anyone?). You really make us feel like we have a say around here! Even if our comment is on the 10th page (I'm hoping it gets seen, anyway).

Thanks for asking for our feedback!
Last edited by TheGreatDivider on Mar 14, 2014, 2:51:56 PM
"
TeknoSoCa wrote:
This might not be the best place to add this comment, but I wanted to comment on the thread but also make a suggestion. I would prefer to just know a day ahead if there is going to be an update that requires a large download. It's not like I'm going to say no to the update, ever, I just like to schedule the update to all my systems. Which brings me to my suggestion. I heard at one point that you were trying to make the update process more modular and therefore having users need to download much smaller update packages. I have been wanting to say that you should be taking that further and designing the software for the game in a way that would allow the download of the entire game or any update as a standalone package. This would allow the download of the file once, and then be able to update multiple local systems at the same time, without having to download the same files for every machine. I personally have 3 systems I use at home, and have friends who visit and play as well. Having to download or update each machine individually just doesn't make sense. This process is sometimes referred to as an "Administrators" version. It might be desirable for other people who might have more than one computer at home, and might not have the luxury of a super high speed Internet connection. Just a thought. :)

You can already update multiple local systems, simply copy C:\Program Files (x86)\Grinding Gear Games\Path of Exile\content.ggpk from the updated computer to your non-updated computers
A day or so ahead of time would be best IMO. Enough notice to get excited and prepared for the downtime, and short enough time for you guys to be sure it's ready.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info