Invasion = path of ranged again

"
Hilbert wrote:
"
do GGG's playtesters have characters with 200 hp and 75 res all at level 1??

Based on their promovideos all Gems are 20% all items are max linked and the characters are overleveled.

My guess on the 200 HP level 1 kill would be: Frost Wall Snake?
Even with the nerf it might still one shot at early levels.

But I agree that so many mobs are poorly designed, they will always wreck melee characters.

Such as shotgun crits still not being removed. Enjoy GMP Artic Breath on Point Blank,

I don't know what rules,regulations and so forth Alpha has these days,but I do know that in the past that Alpha was heavily played with the tilde key up to a certain level of content and that it was encouraged to do so.
Last edited by Temper on Mar 10, 2014, 5:04:33 AM
Invasion upped the off-screen range from which bosses engage you (and in some cases oneshot you :/), so I say fight fire with fire.

Old skool Split arrow + RoA FTW

Melee might be viable when you have GG items, but as a starting build? lol...
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
"
Temper wrote:
"
Hilbert wrote:
"
do GGG's playtesters have characters with 200 hp and 75 res all at level 1??

Based on their promovideos all Gems are 20% all items are max linked and the characters are overleveled.

My guess on the 200 HP level 1 kill would be: Frost Wall Snake?
Even with the nerf it might still one shot at early levels.

But I agree that so many mobs are poorly designed, they will always wreck melee characters.

Such as shotgun crits still not being removed. Enjoy GMP Artic Breath on Point Blank,

I don't know what rules,regulations and so forth Alpha has these days,but I do know that in the past that Alpha was heavily played with the tilde key up to a certain level of content and that it was encouraged to do so.

wut (does that do?)
more like "path of skip and log-out".
you will get one-shot as ranged too.

you don't suck. GGG's approach to "difficulty" and sad excuse for "balance" do.
god knows I've tried to put it in less harsh terms so far, but it just has to be said bluntly.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Mar 10, 2014, 6:18:57 AM
Anc, I started with a full-on-survival mode melee Marauder. Invasion bosses were actually easy in the beginning. Killed the frost wall boss pre-nerf and all that good stuff. I overgeared and overleveled my way with 0 damage nodes at an extremely sluggish pace. Entered Cruel with 77 all resists and ~1700 hitpoints. Facetank Dominus without even feeling his damage.

I thought the Invasion bosses were easy and didn't understand why people were complaining so much, guessed they weren't tanky or careful enough. That was, before I met Ch'aska in normal and almost got 1-shot with the same guy who facetanked Kole an Domimus without any worries.

Then I saw videos of streamers RIP-ing in 1 second with overcapped resists and high-hitpoint characters. Yes, Hellman got shock-stacked, some other guy who died by the Vaal Ripper didn't cleanse the curse, but it still happened in 1-2 seconds.

My point is: the invasion bosses are NOT easier in later difficulties. Yes, some of them might be laughable, but others have 1-shot mechanics and you can never know. Some bosses seem to deal next to no damage and then activate some skill that rapes you (like Bladeback Guardian - if you try to melee him, he shotguns you with a new skill).

But I don't think it's path of ranged, because you need to be absurdly tanky even with a ranged character just to have a 1-2 seconds survival window and be able to escape when something like the Devourer or the flicker-spider jumps at you or when something shoots you from offscreen.

I don't consider searing bond as a ranged skill, it's more of an abuse - you deal excellent damage with 0 investment and can just run around, evading almost all hits.

So, I'd say it's more like Path of Evasion.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Mar 10, 2014, 6:26:22 AM
"
Bars wrote:
Anc, I started with a full-on-survival mode melee Marauder. Invasion bosses were actually easy in the beginning. Killed the frost wall boss pre-nerf and all that good stuff. I overgeared and overleveled my way with 0 damage nodes at an extremely sluggish pace. Entered Cruel with 77 all resists and ~1700 hitpoints. Facetank Dominus without even feeling his damage.

I thought the Invasion bosses were easy and didn't understand why people were complaining so much, guessed they weren't tanky or careful enough. That was, before I met Ch'aska in normal and almost got 1-shot with the same guy who facetanked Kole an Domimus without any worries.

Then I saw videos of streamers RIP-ing in 1 second with overcapped resists and high-hitpoint characters. Yes, Hellman got shock-stacked, some other guy who died by the Vaal Ripper didn't cleanse the curse, but it still happened in 1-2 seconds.

My point is: the invasion bosses are NOT easier in later difficulties. Yes, some of them might be laughable, but others have 1-shot mechanics and you can never know. Some bosses seem to deal next to no damage and then activate some skill that rapes you (like Bladeback Guardian - if you try to melee him, he shotguns you with a new skill).

Bladeback was my 3rd rip in submerged passage before I got my new character :)

These bosses are crazy yeah, but at least now we have a true hc league ... OS sucked and nemesis was meeh. Storm call, corrupted blood and volatile were the only scary things.
I wouldn't call it "true HC" since everyone is quickly learning to just avoid Invasion content. You also have to be extremely fat to have some small survival window just to run away from some bosses and not get 1-shot.

So, in reality, Invasion is currently full with players who faceroll everything since they are overleveled, overgeared and very tanky, and do their best to avoid all the unique bosses. The others, well, I guess they spend a lot of time re-rolling.

It would be playable if we actually had reliable information on all bosses and what they do at all difficulty levels. You would be able to plan and prepare and to know which bosses to fight, how to fight them and which you can't, depending on build and gear. The problem is, there is no information and it is absolutely not worth it to try to "research" the bosses because this leads to RIPs.

There is nothing "HC" in dying instantly without any chance to prevent it if you haven't been in the same situation before and no way to have information from other sources.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Mar 10, 2014, 6:36:16 AM
"
Bars wrote:
I wouldn't call it "true HC" since everyone is quickly learning to just avoid Invasion content. You also have to be extremely fat to have some small survival window just to run away from some bosses and not get 1-shot.

So, in reality, Invasion is currently full with players who faceroll everything since they are overleveled, overgeared and very tanky, and do their best to avoid all the unique bosses. The others, well, I guess they spend a lot of time re-rolling.

It would be playable if we actually had reliable information on all bosses and what they do at all difficulty levels. You would be able to plan and prepare and to know which bosses to fight, how to fight them and which you can't, depending on build and gear. The problem is, there is no information and it is absolutely not worth it to try to "research" the bosses because this leads to RIPs.

There is nothing "HC" in dying instantly without any chance to prevent it if you haven't been in the same situation before and no way to have information from other sources.

Theres actually info on bosses: most of them offscreen curse/oneshot you...
Yeah, I know. I skip all of them with a quicksilver flask just on general principles.

My point was, it would be nice to at least know which ones you CAN kill without having to play Russian Roulette in an attempt to find out.
I certainly agree with Bars here, information on what bosses do should be readily available. Achieving difficulty through information hiding is just a cheap & cheesy thing.

The best strategy for non-competitive players like me is to wait and learn from other's RIPs. Eg. my char would be dead now, if I didn't read on the forums that Shivershell does vaal corpse explode when near death. I bet those who found this the hard way, weren't really amazed by the challenge offered.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info