Legacy items

Full fledged pvp will do nothing but bring the sewage festering in the depths to light and it will not be a pretty sight for neither GGG or the player base.

Im referring to rampant rmt and third party trading if it was not clear.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
PvP in a loot based game will never be balanced, legacy items or not.
who cares about how fast ppl can clear maps in a SC league?

in every hc league those builds wont work since you wont get past lvl 92 with them.

and talking about aegis and stuff... i dont care if ppl make a build that needs about 20 minutes to clear a lvl 77 map....
"Path of nurfs" - LVL 100 + LVL 100 + LVL 100 ENDGAME REAVER
"1.3.0 Path of nurfs 3. expansion"
Shops: 1031762,774343,883462,371756,1091096,1099789,1260674
Reaver Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/velo1337/videos
Last edited by danisonxtc on Feb 10, 2014, 1:46:24 AM
"
danisonxtc wrote:
who cares about how fast ppl can clear maps in a SC league?

in every hc league those builds wont work since you wont get past lvl 92 with them.

and talking about aegis and stuff... i dont care if ppl make a build that needs about 20 minutes to clear a lvl 77 map....

The game isn't balanced around HC, so I have no idea why you are arguing as if your opinion is more valid than others
So what is poe balanced around?

the 4 month soft-core league?
"
Rhys wrote:
"Legacy" items are a natural consequence of our implementation of the mod system. When a mod is rolled, the result is stored in the item. The maximum and minimum values are never used except for the initial roll and any subsequent rerolls (Blessed Orb, Divine Orb, etc).

This means that if we change the max/min values for a mod, e.g. the +life mod on Kaom's Heart, this does not directly effect any existing items, only new ones that drop or old ones that are rerolled. Another way to create legacy items (at least for Uniques) is if we add or remove entire mods from the item.

This also means that we do not have legacy items of skill gems or currency, because they do not have mods. We do not have legacy passive skill trees because we do not support multiple trees.

So legacy items only happen when we make numerical changes to min/max values of mods, or if we add/remove entire mods from a unique. We do not create legacy items when we change what mods do (this is fairly rare, though).

If we really wanted, we could painstakingly go through every item on the realm and perform an "item migration" to update legacy items to their modern equivalents. However, this is something of a last resort; it has several downsides:
-it requires substantial downtime of the entire realm for an unknown-but-lengthy period of time.
-it requires manually looking at every individual item we wanted to update and writing a custom upgrade script for each one.
-any mistakes or reversals of balance affect the entire realm's items, rather than a handful of new items dropped between patches.
-pissing off often long-time players by (potentially) destroying significant wealth right out of their stash.
-we'd have to do it all again every time we made changes that would result in a legacy item.

I'm not saying legacy items are all sunshine and rainbows, but they are at worst a necessary evil.

I would rather accept 1-day downtime of PoE servers, than accept imbalance, caused by legacy items.
You can fix legacy items on serious content patches only, like 1.1, to minimize downtimes.
And what about wealth, that got "destroyed" by other updates?
For example, some players invested TONS of exalted and eternal orbs for crafting rare Thicket bows with 6 perfect (or close to perfect) roll. Then, suddenly, Harbinger Bow received implicit +30-50% local crit chance, and it became an obvious best choice for crafting. Thicket bows lose a bulk of their value with that update, similar to how owner of powerful unique loses a bulk of value if it got nerfed and rerolled.

Legacy items are like a cancer, that ruins the game balance from within. You decided to buff Life node, and nerf Kaom's heart, to avoid stacking too high HP. But since legacy Kaom exists, ridiculous HP pools are possible to gain...

Voll's Devotion (i think) was removed not because it was powerful for discharger, but because it allowed a build that was IMMUNE to any damage all the time, while attacking and dealing high DPS. Yet, those amulets still exist....

And why you cant a make a SINGLE script, to search whole database and fix legacies? Why do you need a script for every single item?
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
considering a 1 hour downtown was enough for their systems architect to formally apologize for, 1 day is far far beyond question.
"
nexuscz wrote:
The game balancing consist of SKILL GEMS + PASSIVE TREE + ITEMS balancing while all of these things are in close synergy.

Your reasoning is wrong, because then we would have legacy skill gems and skill trees don't you find this idea totally laughable?

Running one query in your db is a lot less production cost it just take time for machine to do, not for actual people.

By the same "logic" that it can't be done anymore, all characters should be erased completely every time they change the skill tree because it is impossible for other players to level using the old skill tree. Would that make any sense? No, all it would do is hurt the players who have already leveled.

What follows is not about you - or any specific poster:

The general theme of this thread, and others like it that cry "Legacy items must be nerfed posts", seems to be people who think that current owners of legacy items should suffer, because other people can't have what they have.

This is Jealousy.

Jealousy is akin to Hatred. People who are jealous of others who are successful are just a subclass of haters.

Jealousy is caused by ignorance, vanity and selfishness. When a person is afflicted with jealousy they become confused and irrational. They are ruled by the dark emotion of hate.

A simple example - someone who continued to play D3 for 2 years while their best friend moved on to Path of Exile. The one who stayed with D3 becomes bitter and angry that his best friend is having fun while he is not. The one who stayed with d3 makes the "logical" suggestion that his best friend should have to go back to Diablo 3 and suffer for 2 years so that things will be fair and equal.

This is what jealousy is, and this is exactly what people who want legacy nerfs are asking for.

Lorena Bobbit decided to "Nerf" her husband out of jealousy.

Here's another one for you:

Christine P----- was befriended by Tiffany R--- and Rachel K--, two popular girls at her school. They helped Christine change her style, dress, makeup and transformed her from an ugly duckling people made fun of into someone who was voted 'Miss Irresistible' by her class.

But she was still jealous that they were better than her. So Christine went with her boyfriend and they used a 9mm and a .38 to shoot her two former best friends. Christine shot her friends in the buttocks. Christine shot them in the crotch. When one of her former best friends wouldn't die after being shot 12 times, Christine used the butt of the gun to bash her skull until she died.

This is what jealousy/envy/coveting does. It is a smoldering fire that can flare up and engulf a person's mind and blind them to what they are actually doing.

It is why it is the 10th commandment : "Thous shalt not covet thy neighbor's goods."

Let me put it another way - if I had a legacy Kaom's heart I would gladly give it to you.

The only benefit the items in the game have is the momentary happiness they can bring. Most of that happiness depends on the player's expectations.

You don't need any of the big legacy items to succeed in the game. If you prefer to play on a completely level field in all aspects, GGG has created temporary leagues where no legacy items exist and everyone has a fresh start.

So - if you are seeking a "fair" game experience - it is already there - in Domination/Nemesis. It was there before in Anarchy/Onslaught. It will be new, fresh and fair again in just over a month (March 5th if everything goes as planned).

From what I have seen, the players that aren't angry about what other players have generally seem to enjoy Path of Exile far more than those whose existence revolves around having the mostest and the bestest.

If you see an item you really want for a character - by all means- go for it, but don't ask for something to be taken away from others out of your own bitterness. Those who live jealousy fueled lives never know what they might find missing when they wake up.

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
Last edited by DalaiLama on Feb 10, 2014, 4:36:29 AM
"
deteego wrote:
OP items cause you to farm much faster than you should, which inflates the economy

?

Should GGG put a cap on how much currency, items or experience a player should be able to gain per day? Say 3 uniques, 1 exalts worth and 20 million XP max per day?

Or do you mean a player should only be allowed to make/join a certain number of instances per hour - say one joined or made every 20 minutes?

If you are NOT suggesting there "should" be a cap, than what do you mean about farming faster than they "should"?

From what I can tell, the fastest way to acquire wealth in PoE doesn't require a single legacy item. You can flip currency and items without a Shavronne's, a Kaom's or a Soul Taker.
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
"
DalaiLama wrote:
Spoiler

By the same "logic" that it can't be done anymore, all characters should be erased completely every time they change the skill tree because it is impossible for other players to level using the old skill tree. Would that make any sense? No, all it would do is hurt the players who have already leveled.

What follows is not about you - or any specific poster:

The general theme of this thread, and others like it that cry "Legacy items must be nerfed posts", seems to be people who think that current owners of legacy items should suffer, because other people can't have what they have.

This is Jealousy.

Jealousy is akin to Hatred. People who are jealous of others who are successful are just a subclass of haters.

Jealousy is caused by ignorance, vanity and selfishness. When a person is afflicted with jealousy they become confused and irrational. They are ruled by the dark emotion of hate.

A simple example - someone who continued to play D3 for 2 years while their best friend moved on to Path of Exile. The one who stayed with D3 becomes bitter and angry that his best friend is having fun while he is not. The one who stayed with d3 makes the "logical" suggestion that his best friend should have to go back to Diablo 3 and suffer for 2 years so that things will be fair and equal.

This is what jealousy is, and this is exactly what people who want legacy nerfs are asking for.

Lorena Bobbit decided to "Nerf" her husband out of jealousy.

Here's another one for you:

Christine P----- was befriended by Tiffany R--- and Rachel K--, two popular girls at her school. They helped Christine change her style, dress, makeup and transformed her from an ugly duckling people made fun of into someone who was voted 'Miss Irresistible' by her class.

But she was still jealous that they were better than her. So Christine went with her boyfriend and they used a 9mm and a .38 to shoot her two former best friends. Christine shot her friends in the buttocks. Christine shot them in the crotch. When one of her former best friends wouldn't die after being shot 12 times, Christine used the butt of the gun to bash her skull until she died.

This is what jealousy/envy/coveting does. It is a smoldering fire that can flare up and engulf a person's mind and blind them to what they are actually doing.

It is why it is the 10th commandment : "Thous shalt not covet thy neighbor's goods."

Let me put it another way - if I had a legacy Kaom's heart I would gladly give it to you.

The only benefit the items in the game have is the momentary happiness they can bring. Most of that happiness depends on the player's expectations.

You don't need any of the big legacy items to succeed in the game. If you prefer to play on a completely level field in all aspects, GGG has created temporary leagues where no legacy items exist and everyone has a fresh start.

So - if you are seeking a "fair" game experience - it is already there - in Domination/Nemesis. It was there before in Anarchy/Onslaught. It will be new, fresh and fair again in just over a month (March 5th if everything goes as planned).

From what I have seen, the players that aren't angry about what other players have generally seem to enjoy Path of Exile far more than those whose existence revolves around having the mostest and the bestest.

If you see an item you really want for a character - by all means- go for it, but don't ask for something to be taken away from others out of your own bitterness. Those who live jealousy fueled lives never know what they might find missing when they wake up.

This might get removed by support, as my statement was.

But in fact, that's the truth beyond all this.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info