Legacy items

"
Real_Wolf wrote:
"
deteego wrote:
"
linkstatic wrote:
I fail to see how someone having a legacy item affects you in any way. There's no PvP worth doing, and it's on Standard. You die in Standard you just try again.

Well PvP is an interesting point in itself (like why should GGG even bother with PvP when things like this exist)

However ignoring pvp, legacy items (at least the OP ones) do indirectly harm other players because they cause inflation in the economy. OP items cause you to farm much faster than you should, which inflates the economy

This wouldn't be an issue if PoE wasn't so economy centric, but thats the way it is

Thats kind of a fallacy.

It might effect some people, but it doesn't effect the majority of players.

Take me, I don't trade very often.

When I trade I am not buying BiS items, but rather 'good->godly' items.

This means that because of their availability, these items are ridiculously cheap. I can buy a ring that would go for about 10 chaos for 2 in std, because these rings aren't as rare, there are a ton more on the market.

So how is that inflation? Sure, you can't SELL things as efficiently in standard, but its a buyers market for sure when there is so many people farming and trying to sell. And it has always been a buyers market in the new leagues aswell, as if no one wants your item its not going to sell.

Its not fallacious at all, even if its not effecting you directly, its effecting you indirectly. GGG balances the drop rates around the economy as well, so whether or not you actually trade, you will still be effected.

Heck if you map with someone that has a legacy unique, the legacy item is indirectly benefitting you, because the increase in map clearing speed due to the legacy unique is benefitting you (indirectly)

You are using a false dichotomy in your reasoning. The only way you can actually state that legacy uniques don't effect other players is if PoE had no trading at all, and no multiplayer as well.

Last edited by deteego on Feb 9, 2014, 11:18:59 PM
There are 2 categories of nerf-worthy items:

overpowered - either allowing you to far exceed the defensive power curve of the game or too strong for the cost or exceed the power of a rare in the same slot:

*some examples are : aegis aurora and koams heart - I whole heartedly believe these are not worthy of nerfs because you can not tank monsters to death. you are wholly reliant on essentialyl leeching your way to 100 in group rotations. I honestly do not care if youre immortal if you cant even contribute dps in a 6p party. Koams heart is essentially giving you 10-14 life nodes that can be placed into dps nodes at the cost of 6 links, 45 45 45 resists and about 2500 armor or evasion.

For the same reason, soul taker should not have been nerfed because its generally paired with aegis and the dps is nothing to write home about.

gamebreaking - allowing you to far exceed the offensive power curve of the game
examples are old RF, COD gem abuse, and now crown of eyes when paired with low life:

*these items (or skils) allow you to completely shit all over game balance and instant kill mobs in 6 player parties with nearly no risk or downside due to vaal pact. these items and skill should and must be retroactively nerfed to the ground and i would utterly appalled if crown was not mechanically nerfed in 1.1.

You can make a case for the latter case allowing players to 'farm' faster, but honestly these players are already so fat from rmt that they couldn't care less about loot. they only want to obliterate the game in the most efficient way possible. If such a build archetype exists, the price of said items (shavs) will double or triple basically overnight and create an unimaginable disparity between it and every other build.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
No, defensive items are always going to be more problematic than offensive items. Carl explained why this is so in a recent Diamond newsletter. Offensive or defensive excess are both worthy of adjustments in order to strengthen the impact of player choices.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
iamstryker wrote:
I do not care about having a new economy.
Then I fail to see what your complaint regarding Standard is.

I don't care about starting from scratch and the economy being new. That has absolutely nothing to do with my dislike of OP legacy uniques. They aren't even a little bit similar.
Standard Forever
Last edited by iamstryker on Feb 9, 2014, 11:48:17 PM
"
Uvne wrote:
No, defensive items are always going to be more problematic than offensive items. Carl explained why this is so in a recent Diamond newsletter. Offensive or defensive excess are both worthy of adjustments in order to strengthen the impact of player choices.

youre telling me an immortal aegis tank with essentially zero dps contribution is going to be more problematic than one of these idiots spewing 60,000 (100,000 in groups) DPS spectral throw with uncapped life leech or worst CHAINED power siphon for 60,000? Why on earth people would envy playing as a toothless giant door is beyond me.

Carl needs to load up some of these profiles in the test sever and have a run on /player 6 reflect 78 maps because I can not believe how out of touch that comment is. If they both need to be nerfed fine, but at the very least pay more attention to the gross offensive imbalance generated through crown.

"

IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
Last edited by Nephalim on Feb 9, 2014, 11:59:14 PM
"
Nephalim wrote:

youre telling me an immortal aegis tank with essentially zero dps contribution is going to be more problematic than one of these...

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. At a certain point, you have adequate DPS, and in endgame gear, you can get well over "adequate" even while invested heavily into some of the more overpowered defense setups. Whether or not you choose to acknowledge it, the devs take the balance of the hardcore modes into account as well. Being unable to die is far more gamebreaking from a hardcore perspective.

From Qarl's newsletter:
"
Offence for Defence With Hardcore leagues in PoE, an item that trades offence for defence is a very dangerous one to introduce - We try to keep these away from end game, or have the defensive bonus be one that doesn’t compound with other defensive bonuses. Blood Reaper is one of the few examples of this design type in the game.

Utility for Defence or Offence These are hard to do right, and again we see very few of them in the game. The most notable example is Kaom’s Heart; Giving up the possibility of your biggest source of linked gems doesn’t necessarily reduce the damage of the character, but it reduces their flexibility and perhaps even the enjoyment the player may have. Not all characters are negatively impacted giving this up, but we still have to be careful with these.

This is not to say that Crown of Eyes (and perhaps by extension, lowlife mechanics) don't need further balancing.
Last edited by Uvne on Feb 10, 2014, 12:13:55 AM
"
Rhys wrote:
"Legacy" items are a natural consequence of our implementation of the mod system. When a mod is rolled, the result is stored in the item. The maximum and minimum values are never used except for the initial roll and any subsequent rerolls (Blessed Orb, Divine Orb, etc).

This means that if we change the max/min values for a mod, e.g. the +life mod on Kaom's Heart, this does not directly effect any existing items, only new ones that drop or old ones that are rerolled. Another way to create legacy items (at least for Uniques) is if we add or remove entire mods from the item.

This also means that we do not have legacy items of skill gems or currency, because they do not have mods. We do not have legacy passive skill trees because we do not support multiple trees.

So legacy items only happen when we make numerical changes to min/max values of mods, or if we add/remove entire mods from a unique. We do not create legacy items when we change what mods do (this is fairly rare, though).

If we really wanted, we could painstakingly go through every item on the realm and perform an "item migration" to update legacy items to their modern equivalents. However, this is something of a last resort; it has several downsides:
-it requires substantial downtime of the entire realm for an unknown-but-lengthy period of time.
-it requires manually looking at every individual item we wanted to update and writing a custom upgrade script for each one.
-any mistakes or reversals of balance affect the entire realm's items, rather than a handful of new items dropped between patches.
-pissing off often long-time players by (potentially) destroying significant wealth right out of their stash.
-we'd have to do it all again every time we made changes that would result in a legacy item.

I'm not saying legacy items are all sunshine and rainbows, but they are at worst a necessary evil.

why is it that i think the bolded part is the most important? economy rules them all in poe

the 'downtime' play is a weak one - for your own sake you should EXACTLY know how much this downtime would take and probably practice it on your test realms. if you havent done so - it will backfire on you BADLY sometime. writing scripts etc takes as long as several minutes! calling it painstakingly is a stretch and 'downtime' is a scapegoat to cover the real reason: legacies 'fuel' the economy

in short - Crown of Bad Balance is here to stay
I wonder if there is a way for the game to determine if the item is legacy or not. I think pvp on standard will be dead if legacy items will be freely allowed there.
"
DarkTl wrote:
I wonder if there is a way for the game to determine if the item is legacy or not. I think pvp on standard will be dead if legacy items will be freely allowed there.

Just don't allow it to be used in PvP, problem solved.
IGN : Ericaa
My Store! /108685
My Rain of Arrows Evasion build guide! https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/791798
Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/samfishersam
Yup. But I'm not sure if it's possible for GGG from a technical standpoint.
Last edited by DarkTl on Feb 10, 2014, 12:30:12 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info