Legacy items

"
Do you think WOTC would have physically recalled all the precious, coveted Black Lotuses, Moxes and Time Walks people owned by then if they could have, instead of just making them Type II illegal?

This is how it is. You want to compete with the 'current' crowd, you play the new leagues, where everything has been balanced based on past experience and stuff-ups. Type II, or whatever they call it now.

You want to have fun with your Power Nine? Play type I, or with friends -- legacy, I believe they call it now.

They certainly don't call it 'garbage' or 'dumpster', mainly because the most expensive cards are still legal there. If anything, Type I was/is the opposite of garbage of dumpster.
Real Magic players draft — which is the Magic equivalent of racing. If you're familiar with Hearthstone, Arena is pretty much the same thing.

Also, Type I isn't Legacy (which is its own format); you're thinking of Vintage.

But I digress. Good analogy.
"
iamstryker wrote:
"
Don't like legacy uniques in PoE? Don't play Standard.
To be fair this is a pretty useless thing to say to someone who chooses to play standard because he or she would hate a temporary league.
Your hatred is either not properly expressed or, more likely, irrational.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Feb 9, 2014, 7:19:55 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Your hatred is either not properly expressed or, more likely, irrational.

What are you talking about? My personal dislike for temporary leagues?

I assure you that I would never enjoy a temporary league. I never stop playing the characters that I make so therefore I will play them in standard. I do not have the time to play my characters in standard AND start from scratch in a temporary league. Starting from scratch is completely unappealing to me, I do not compete with other players on the leader boards and I do not care about having a new economy. Finding the same stuff over and over again that I already have on standard sounds boring and unnecessary to me.
Standard Forever
Last edited by iamstryker on Feb 9, 2014, 8:55:00 PM
"
Don't like legacy uniques in PoE? Don't play Standard.

Your MtG analogy fails in the most important area: your stash. In MtG I could use any standard, non-legacy card in any type of tournament; it's only the legacy cards that are restricted. With a fresh new league in PoE, my entire stash of both standard and legacy items is restricted to Standard and I start out with nothing in the new league. Four months later, it all reverts to Standard. The net result is that all the gear I collect is eventually restricted to the Legacy League. That makes the temporary league litle more than a brief period of self-imposed scarcity.
"
iamstryker wrote:
I do not care about having a new economy.
Then I fail to see what your complaint regarding Standard is.
"
RogueMage wrote:
Your MtG analogy fails in the most important area: your stash. In MtG I could use any standard, non-legacy card in any type of tournament; it's only the legacy cards that are restricted.
You don't actually play MtG's Standard format, do you?
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Feb 9, 2014, 9:52:11 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
You don't actually play MtG's Standard format, do you?

No, but I heard about a tournament from a friend who watched one in a movie.

So i am an expert on the subject, and your analogy fails!
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
You don't actually play tournament-level MtG, do you?

Never more than local tournaments, and not for years. I liked Legacy format, where only the broken OP cards were banned. That's one solution to the type of problem we're dealing with in PoE.

Ha! Grabbed the original quote before you went back and edited it!
Last edited by RogueMage on Feb 9, 2014, 10:02:17 PM
I fail to see how someone having a legacy item affects you in any way. There's no PvP worth doing, and it's on Standard. You die in Standard you just try again.
IGN : Ericaa
My Store! /108685
My Rain of Arrows Evasion build guide! https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/791798
Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/samfishersam
"
linkstatic wrote:
I fail to see how someone having a legacy item affects you in any way. There's no PvP worth doing, and it's on Standard. You die in Standard you just try again.

Well PvP is an interesting point in itself (like why should GGG even bother with PvP when things like this exist)

However ignoring pvp, legacy items (at least the OP ones) do indirectly harm other players because they cause inflation in the economy. OP items cause you to farm much faster than you should, which inflates the economy

This wouldn't be an issue if PoE wasn't so economy centric, but thats the way it is
"
deteego wrote:
"
linkstatic wrote:

Well PvP is an interesting point in itself (like why should GGG even bother with PvP when things like this exist)

However ignoring pvp, legacy items (at least the OP ones) do indirectly harm other players because they cause inflation in the economy. OP items cause you to farm much faster than you should, which inflates the economy

This wouldn't be an issue if PoE wasn't so economy centric, but thats the way it is

Thats kind of a fallacy.

It might effect some people, but it doesn't effect the majority of players.

Take me, I don't trade very often.

When I trade I am not buying BiS items, but rather 'good->godly' items.

This means that because of their availability, these items are ridiculously cheap. I can buy a ring that would go for about 10 chaos for 2 in std, because these rings aren't as rare, there are a ton more on the market.

So how is that inflation? Sure, you can't SELL things as efficiently in standard, but its a buyers market for sure when there is so many people farming and trying to sell. And it has always been a buyers market in the new leagues aswell, as if no one wants your item its not going to sell.
"Legacy" items are a natural consequence of our implementation of the mod system. When a mod is rolled, the result is stored in the item. The maximum and minimum values are never used except for the initial roll and any subsequent rerolls (Blessed Orb, Divine Orb, etc).

This means that if we change the max/min values for a mod, e.g. the +life mod on Kaom's Heart, this does not directly effect any existing items, only new ones that drop or old ones that are rerolled. Another way to create legacy items (at least for Uniques) is if we add or remove entire mods from the item.

This also means that we do not have legacy items of skill gems or currency, because they do not have mods. We do not have legacy passive skill trees because we do not support multiple trees.

[Edit]Of course, if we stop an item dropping entirely, any existing copies of that item are essentially "legacied" too, regardless of the item's type.

So legacy items only happen when we make numerical changes to min/max values of mods, or if we add/remove entire mods from a unique. We do not create legacy items when we change what mods do (this is fairly rare, though).

If we really wanted, we could painstakingly go through every item on the realm and perform an "item migration" to update legacy items to their modern equivalents. However, this is something of a last resort; it has several downsides:
-it requires substantial downtime of the entire realm for an unknown-but-lengthy period of time.
-it requires manually looking at every individual item we wanted to update and writing a custom upgrade script for each one.
-any mistakes or reversals of balance affect the entire realm's items, rather than a handful of new items dropped between patches.
-pissing off often long-time players by (potentially) destroying significant wealth right out of their stash.
-we'd have to do it all again every time we made changes that would result in a legacy item.

I'm not saying legacy items are all sunshine and rainbows, but they are at worst a necessary evil.
Code warrior
Last edited by Rhys on Feb 16, 2014, 7:37:28 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info