One Week Nemesis Race Infographic

"
Imo everything work just fine. Spell defences need some love in this game. If you think about it , the only mechanic that actualy work in high lvl maps is block/spell block. You can deal any kind of attacks but when you think about spells there is only spell block.

Agree, and there is a perfect opportunity to both address this and buff evasion by making evasion apply to spell damage to some extent, some percent of your evasion applies to spell damage, creating the possibility of builds that combine evasion, phase acrobatics and spell block and resists to really create a solid defence against spell damage.
"
Qarl wrote:
"
Xeon8 wrote:
$50 says it was the ridiculously over powered trap boss that killed them all on Sceptre 2. Even with max lightning resist that boss is a pain in the ass.

Caliga is in the Lower of Sceptre of God (that is, Sceptre 1). You can send us your $50 using the shop button above (and we'll give you some stuff in return!).

haha! Amazing!
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
In my semi-educated opinion, the problem is not that Iron Reflexes is not overpowered, or necessarily even overpowered in a short race. The problem is the idea that you are trading nothing for everything. Many players see the randomness of evasion as far too deadly, because the game's RNG hates us all equally, and given the choice between not taking half the hits or taking half from all hits, safety and consistency will always win in a one death setting. As long as evasion looks bad, IR is going to look great, regardless of actual play.

Also, props to Hailrake for taking down 6% of the racers by himself.
BreakingHearts/RhoaHood/BackAndVeryLate (Standard) | HushtailSweep/HushtailWeeps (Ancestor)
"
bitV wrote:
"
Imo everything work just fine. Spell defences need some love in this game. If you think about it , the only mechanic that actualy work in high lvl maps is block/spell block. You can deal any kind of attacks but when you think about spells there is only spell block.

Agree, and there is a perfect opportunity to both address this and buff evasion by making evasion apply to spell damage to some extent, some percent of your evasion applies to spell damage, creating the possibility of builds that combine evasion, phase acrobatics and spell block and resists to really create a solid defence against spell damage.

Excactly! I already mention that on page 9 , can be challenging on PvP aswell.
"
In my semi-educated opinion, the problem is not that Iron Reflexes is not overpowered, or necessarily even overpowered in a short race. The problem is the idea that you are trading nothing for everything. Many players see the randomness of evasion as far too deadly, because the game's RNG hates us all equally, and given the choice between not taking half the hits or taking half from all hits, safety and consistency will always win in a one death setting. As long as evasion looks bad, IR is going to look great, regardless of actual play.

Evasion is not random.

Players take IR because they're beguiled into thinking it's safer than Evasion. Well, there is one legit benefit - you can use armor and +eva gear with IR, increasing item options.
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282
"
anubite wrote:
"

Evasion is not random.

Players take IR because they're beguiled into thinking it's safer than Evasion. Well, there is one legit benefit - you can use armor and +eva gear with IR, increasing item options.

In my experience it's most certainly safer than evasion, that one big hit that you don't dodge will instagib you, as opposed to leaving you on a fraction of your HP, I'd confidently state that I have been in many situations where the additional armour from IR was the difference between life and death.

This is especially true for builds that don't venture near % increased armour nodes, being able to pick up %evasion nodes and convert it to armour can make a substantial difference to the outcome of a build.
"
bitV wrote:
"
anubite wrote:
"

Evasion is not random.

In my experience it's most certainly safer than evasion, that one big hit that you don't dodge will instagib you, as opposed to leaving you on a fraction of your HP, I'd confidently state that I have been in many situations where the additional armour from IR was the difference between life and death.

This is especially true for builds that don't venture near % increased armour nodes, being able to pick up %evasion nodes and convert it to armour can make a substantial difference to the outcome of a build.

Armor is not good against hits that can instagib. Read up on how armor works. If a hit will instagib you, high evasion with blind and ondar's guile or temporal chains and enfeeble is your only hope. Oh, and max life. It's expected that you will stack life to the ceiling.
"
anubite wrote:
Evasion is not random.

Evasion using the entropy is one of things I dislike about evasion actually, and if I understand the mechanics correctly it gets 'worse' if you go for stretches of getting hit, so really kind of worse than random for some melee evasioneers.

Your next sentence is my point and the last is a legitimate benefit, but my post was that regardless of its benefits, a big chunk of its popularity stems from evasion aversion. No that number wouldn't be 500 if evasion looked less suicidal, but it wouldn't be 1000 either.
BreakingHearts/RhoaHood/BackAndVeryLate (Standard) | HushtailSweep/HushtailWeeps (Ancestor)
i got bored around lvl 25 Scion, supposed to be Trapper. Poor build selection. Also not possible to invest enough time to reach lvl 60+

"
Evasion is not random.

maybe, but it's much easier to predict how much dmg you will take with armour, rather than getting 4/5 hits no dmg and then receive full no-mitigation melee phys crit, which might stun you for a long period of time.
With armour, you just will get reasonable amount of dmg that will usually tell you that you should get the fuck out of there.
The calculated risk with armour is much lower than with evasion. It doesn't mean that right build in skilled hands based on evasion might not be much better than Armour.
I represent only myself, my own thought and believes. I am individual, not a representative of the community.
I am not speaking on behalf of someone else and I don't get offended by things that have nothing to do with me.

3.13 was the golden age.
"
"
anubite wrote:
Evasion is not random.

Evasion using the entropy is one of things I dislike about evasion actually, and if I understand the mechanics correctly it gets 'worse' if you go for stretches of getting hit, so really kind of worse than random for some melee evasioneers.

Your next sentence is my point and the last is a legitimate benefit, but my post was that regardless of its benefits, a big chunk of its popularity stems from evasion aversion. No that number wouldn't be 500 if evasion looked less suicidal, but it wouldn't be 1000 either.

Right, it stems from aversion to evasion, which stems from bad building in general, not that armor is better than evasion.

Armor is almost never going to reduce a hit more than 30-40% against hits you'd actually care about. If you don't have a life pool that can take 33% more damage, you have problems that armor won't save - if a hit is going to kill you instantly, armor will let you survive one additional hit, maybe two - this is seldom enough to make a difference. Burst damage is best mitigated with blind and temporal chains and evasion, you can buy time to drink flasks. Armor doesn't buy you much, if any time.

Evasion doesn't get "worse the longer it goes on" - if you have 50% evasion and your opponent strikes ten times, you will evade 5 hits, gauranteed. When those 5 hits occur are spaced in such a manner that it's not streaky, either.

Evasion is deterministic.

Evasion also reduces enemy crit hit chance - which is what any HC player probably fears most of all.
Last edited by anubite on Jan 14, 2014, 6:49:07 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info