Flameblast

Hello everyone.
I'm working on the calculater to see the relation between flameblast base damage, burning dmage and fire resistance of mobs. Please see the followings:

minimum damage on tooltip= x * (1+(C1+C2+C3+C4)/100)*(1+C5/100)
maximum damage on tooltip= y * (1+(C1+C2+C3+C4)/100)*(1+C5/100)

where x is the minimum base damage of flame blast while y is the maximun one
where C1 is increased spell damage from equipment, gems and pasive skills
where C2 is increased elemental damage from equipment, gems and pasive skills
where C3 is increased fire damage from equipment, gems and pasive skills
where C4 is increased area damage from equipment, gems and pasive skills
where C5 is more damage from equipment, gems and pasive skills (such as concentrated effect)

---Part 1, confirm gem description---

The above calculation is easy and confirmed by the tooltip damage of my character. However,
it's the very base damage.

According to the description on this gem, it states that "110% more spell damage for each stage", which is confusing to me.

1.How does the mechanics of "110% more spell damage for each stage" work? Is it applied to the first stage? According to the tooltip, it seems not. So if my character channels 10 stage of flameblast, there should be "990% more spell damage. Am I correct?

2.Does the "110% more spell damage" applied to the C1(increased spell damage) or it is just a multiplier?

Case_1 (modify the increased spell damage only)
damage = x * (1+(C1'+C2+C3+C4)/100)*(1+C5/100)
where C1' = C1*(stage - 1)*110

Case_2 (it's a multiplier)
damage = x * (1+(C1+C2+C3+C4)/100)*(1+C5/100))*(1+C6/100)
where C6 = (stage - 1)*110

Pleas help me figure out the mechanics of this description.

---Part 2,does concentrated effect have impact on burning---

Burning damage = Fire damage * 1/5 * 4(second)
The fire resistance is applied both to the fire and burning damage.

So the actual fire damage and burning are as following:
fire damage = damage on tooltip * (1-C7/100)
burning damage_1 = fire damage * (1+(C2+C3+C4)/100) * (1+C5/100) * (1-C7/100) * 1/5 * 4
burning damage_2 = fire damage * (1+(C2+C3+C4)/100) * (1-C7/100) * 1/5 * 4
where C7 is the fire resistance of mobs

The difference between of burning damage_1&2 lies in the concentrated effect. Which one is correct? Dose the concentrated effect multiplier apply to the burning calculation?

---Part 3,elemental weakness and penetration---

I assume that "decrease elemental resistance" is applied to "total resistance" while "penetrates resistance " is applied to the "resistance cap".

Example_1
If a mop has 150% fire resistance. I curse it with elemeantal weakness and flammability, its fire resistance is reduced to 62 (150 - 88 = 62). And then my flameblast supported by fire penetration cause the mob's fire resistance from 62 to 25 (62 - 37 = 25).

fire damage = damage on tooltip * (1 - 25/100)

Burning_1 = fire damage * (1+(C2+C3+C4)/100) * (1 - 25/100) * 1/5 * 4 (or multiplied by concentrated effect)

Burning_2 = fire damage * (1+(C2+C3+C4)/100) * (1 - 62/100) * 1/5 * 4 (or multiplied by concentrated effect)

Example_2
If a mop has 200% fire resistance. I curse it with elemeantal weakness and flammability, its fire resistance is reduced to 112 (200 - 88 = 112). Due to the cap, the real fire resistance of mob is 75. And then my flameblast supported by fire penetration cause the mob's fire resistance from 75 to 38 (75 - 37 = 38).

fire damage = damage on tooltip * (1 - 38/100)

Burning_1 = fire damage * (1+(C2+C3+C4)/100) * (1 - 75/100) * 1/5 * 4 (or multiplied by concentrated effect)

Burning_2 = fire damage * (1+(C2+C3+C4)/100) * (1 - 38/100) * 1/5 * 4 (or multiplied by concentrated effect)

Which example and which burning damage calculation is correct? Does the fire penetration allied to the burning damage?

---Part 4,if elemental equilibrium applied ---

According to the description of this passive skill, it states "Enemies you hit with Elemental Damage temporarily get +25% Resistances to those Elements and -50% Resistances to other Elements".

So if I hit mobs with ball lighting, say that the fire resistance of the mob is reduced from 150 to 100. I curse it with elemeantal weakness and flammability, its fire resistance is reduced to 12 (100 - 88 = 12). And then my flameblast supported by fire penetration cause the mob's fire resistance from 12 to -25 (12 - 37 = -25). And then the EE triggerd by flameblast, the fire resistance of the mob is increased from -25 to 0.(-25 + 25 = 0).

And the fire and burning damage are calculated as following:
fire damage = damage on tooltip * (1 - 12/100)
Burning = fire damage * (1+(C2+C3+C4)/100) * (1 - 0/100) * 1/5 * 4 (or multiplied by concentrated effect)

Am I correct about the above calculaiton?

Last edited by Birdyyy on Nov 17, 2014, 10:57:05 PM
most of this information is available on a proper search, and the wiki correctly.

part 1 : case 2 is the correct.

part 3 : "burning 2" in both cases. however penetration does not apply to burning damage, only the hit that the burning damage is based off of. also note that negative resistance values is a positive multiplier to damage.

i might have missed something but this is a large step in right direction.
Thank you for the reply.
I did search in the forum for the same topic such as flameblast, penetration and resistance. Though there's always more than one answer to the question. It's hard to tell which one is correct since official site doesn't offer the explicit mechenics from the official site like some other games do. I'm afraid that players have to discuss more often to get the right answer.
Also, I visited the wiki_site as following, no satisfactory information there. Is it the specific POE wiki website you referring to? Anyway, thank you again for the help!
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Path_of_Exile_Wiki
I checked the support skill feed back - elemental proliferation, and saw there's enough information.

Modify the calculation as following:

Damage on tooltip= gem damage * (1+(C1+C2+C3+C4)/100)*(1+C5/100)*(1+C6/100)* (1 - C7/100)

where C1 is increased spell damage from equipment, gems and pasive skills
where C2 is increased elemental damage from equipment, gems and pasive skills
where C3 is increased fire damage from equipment, gems and pasive skills
where C4 is increased area damage from equipment, gems and pasive skills
where C5 is more damage from equipment, gems and pasive skills
where C6 is ( stage - 1 )*110, specific for flameblast damage mechanics
where C7 is fire resistance of mobs

Burning damage = fire damage * (1+(C2+C3+C8)/100) * 1/5 * 4 * (1-C7/100)

where C8 is increased damage over time from equipment, gems and pasive skills

---elemental weakness and penetration---

I assume that "decrease elemental resistance" is applied to "total resistance" while "penetrates resistance " is applied to the "resistance cap".

Example_1

If a mop has 150% fire resistance. I curse it with elemeantal weakness and flammability, its fire resistance is reduced to 62 (150 - 88 = 62). And then my flameblast supported by fire penetration cause the mob's fire resistance from 62 to 25 (62 - 37 = 25).

Fire damage = damage on tooltip * (1 - 25/100)

Burning damage = fire damage * (1+(C2+C3+C8)/100) * 1/5 * 4 * (1 - 62/100)

Example_2

If a mop has 200% fire resistance. I curse it with elemeantal weakness and flammability, its fire resistance is reduced to 112 (200 - 88 = 112). Due to the cap, the real fire resistance of mob is 75. And then my flameblast supported by fire penetration cause the mob's fire resistance from 75 to 38 (75 - 37 = 38).

Fire damage = damage on tooltip * (1 - 38/100)

Burning damage = fire damage * (1+(C2+C3+C8)/100) * 1/5 * 4 * (1 - 75/100)

there you go, found answers on your own =p

corrections: "C5" are multiple separate instances. like if you used con effect while under low life with pain attunement. "more" based modifiers apply separately.

resistances is the second example, while both are "correct", its the second example that needs to be focused on.

also try to note that vs mob of no resistances, all the foe's negative resistances will be a positive damage boost for you. can't just plug into a linear formula for that as far as i'm aware. =p
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
resistances is the second example, while both are "correct", its the second example that needs to be focused on.

Why should the 200% Resists example be the focus? Monsters aren't going to hit 200% Resists unless they have innate Resistances, an allres modifier and an allres Aura. The worst-case scenario is worth considering, definitely, but it shouldn't be the sole focus.
meant like, it shows the difference for penetration not helping DoTs.

duh nothing will have that much res XD
in dia-doto 2; ice very stong matter.. you must wear “ray frost” all time! but lightning power also - when you see wisp and friends you all die fast every. also... fire no weak – kill pet second.... but in poe fire power overwhelm = “melts”
sorry my english no good.. i am australian. please no break flameblast... cause its strong like hammer xDDD – thx ggg your support xD
kids https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbFE90QKJIw
vs
adults https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzysxHGZCAU
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 business a-blazing but no more t-shirts
Flameblast is still the strongest skill in this game, too overpowered perhaps?, starts the strongest and stays the strongest... They nerfed the crit, but boosted the damage? I play with my friend that uses it, all I do is follow him around, and finish the almost non existent mobs that stayed alive after the ignite. In a party of 6, he'll one shot the mobs, he carry the all team leaving the rest of the party unimportant.
This skill is quite ok. Powerful enough but rather tedious to use from the moment you can use it (level 10)

It's slow as hell without cast speed which you won't have until later on and not worth using without it.

I'd probably give it a bit of casting speed for early levels to make it less tiresome to use.
Takes forever to charge it up at those levels. Might as well just blast whatever is in the way with fireballs or something.

That's my feedback and feelings of this skill.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info