Barrage Wonder Wanderer – how to DEMOLISH maps (1.3.X)

Am I doing something wrong?

The build says "cheap" but i found that the item required are not so cheap for my standards.
I see in poe.xyz that all the item we need are above 1-2ex.

Tabula rasa 3ex other 6-link are above 4-5ex
maligaro 1ex
rat nest's 2ex and above

The only thing affardable for me are white 5 link armor and even this will cost all my chaos that i have now.

In chat trade nobody would ever bother to buy my poor equipment, so i'm trying harldy to stash some chaos.
Note that i'm not complaing or crying, simply i don't get how to get medium wealth (not rich).
I know that the only way is play, that there are no short road... but any advice would be welcome.

Im at the end of cruel, before facing dominus.
So far i leveled with flameblast + trap.

Do you think i should buy a 4-link voll's? only thing that is stopping me is that it will halves my mana pool. Or as the op said spare all the currency for buying a 6link or tabula?
My build so far:
http://goo.gl/1AL0hR

(sorry in advice for my poor english)
"
Bars wrote:
"
feyith wrote:
Eh. I wouldn't. Voll's halves your mana, takes hundreds of chromatics to color right and has so little defense you may as well go with the 6 white sockets and PCoC.

I tend to disagree, Voll's lets you use Cold Snap which is an awesome skill and permafreezing almost everything is actually a huge survivability boost. I'd definitely prefer it to Tabula. A good rare or unique chest piece will have advantages to Voll's, but not a Tabula.

As for the halved mana, this build spends very little of it anyway - if you have enough unreserved mana left to cast barrage, you're good to go.

"
Fangs wrote:
Is the build good for killing bosses efficiently? Merci Dominus, 74 map bosses? I have a build that is built to clear packs rather nicely, but against bosses is where it struggles.

Edit: Also, if the build cannot handle phys reflect, why even bother getting Vaal Pact then? Unless what I'm reading in your main OP is out of date, since you still have lightning coil with 2 ek's in it...

And thoughts on EB? Would it be useful for anything?

When I was still playing, I went up to level 72-73 maps and killed everything pretty quickly with this setup.

For survivability against the tougher bosses:

as supporting attack.

And, yes, this build is a complete faceroll against packs and struggles against some bosses, but if you cheese them with skeletons everything is doable. For example, I could do the Museum bosses with rather mediocre gear and no chaos resist whatsoever by pulling them one by one. The chaos damage boss would almost one-shot me, but he would never hit me more than once anyway because of the skeletons and I healed up pretty quickly.

About VP: I stopped playing with the CoC shadow just before the VP changes, so I don't know how the new VP will work, but I can tell you leech alone was quite good pre-1.1 and I could handle phys reflect packs easily with a granite flask. I would swap around some gems and run phys maps with LMP+Fireball just to avoid the occasional double reflect pack and having to spam the granite flask all the time.

EB: it's always nice with Cloak of Defiance, but one of this build's main advantages is that it uses very little mana so you can run with 3 auras + clarity on life and not worry about mana at all.

About the OP's build: yes, it's a bit outdated and I think he's not playing it either.

So, you are following a build by a guy who stopped playing it long ago and are being given advice by another guy who is playing a new build in the new patch :D

I see. So VP isn't really worth the 10 points then? Not until they un-nerf the hell out of it (max should be 40% reduction, not freaking 60), or raise % leech in general. Mainly interested in the build since it seems decently powerful while staying relatively cheap, unless you can recommend something similar in terms of price/power :)

Otherwise, might give it a try. This is a tree I came up with:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYA_5MeGtIZ1tEqW9531U-1SG17VUsmlYw2UEJabSQ8p1xJUZ2j_KsOSMBRcNVwUvPqbWxTNZu1GYotg5cGBfkV8OdUJP06WAR-hxn5Yxrb7g4j9u_wWkhW-vzFZ6CHdkp9napirNadxKLdDVuvTioppasLcsPMBtDu96NieRX2AAaiLhGWLOkVIKEi9PiiQAHRXfLjhGND-wn22hqPcLuD2_xLznFsFq_r2RMvb8M6Vi2sf176j_pJOzZ7tKPsGLZBapPV7cAP0k2-p82Y

Less life because scrubcore, but should do more damage at the loss of a 40% effective VP.
-[2.0] Tokyo's CoC Hybrid Damage Frostblader ---> view-thread/1401907
-[2.0] The Samurai (2H Crit Katana Wild Striker) ---> view-thread/1368690
-[2.0] Dyadus Elemental Wild Strike - Cheap and Beginner friendly! ---> view-thread/1394595
"
Fangs wrote:

I see. So VP isn't really worth the 10 points then? Not until they un-nerf the hell out of it (max should be 40% reduction, not freaking 60), or raise % leech in general. Mainly interested in the build since it seems decently powerful while staying relatively cheap, unless you can recommend something similar in terms of price/power :)

Otherwise, might give it a try. This is a tree I came up with:

Less life because scrubcore, but should do more damage at the loss of a 40% effective VP.

I don't know about new VP. Might be good, haven't tested it, can't say. Your tree looks good.

Since you seem well-versed in the game, I think you'd appreciate my personal twist of the barrage wander. It's what I found to work best over time. I'll just ask you to not write in my guide, it's pointless to bump a guide with almost the same passive tree. Just write here so we can keep things in one thread.

guide to my build

p.s. have it in mind that barrage's attack speed post-patch is great as it is. Getting even more will force you to go for higher-level clarity on life, so basically more attack speed = less life. I'm referring to that Acceleration node you've taken.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Mar 12, 2014, 5:19:00 AM
"
Fangs wrote:
Is the build good for killing bosses efficiently? Merci Dominus, 74 map bosses? I have a build that is built to clear packs rather nicely, but against bosses is where it struggles.

Edit: Also, if the build cannot handle phys reflect, why even bother getting Vaal Pact then? Unless what I'm reading in your main OP is out of date, since you still have lightning coil with 2 ek's in it...

And thoughts on EB? Would it be useful for anything?

I played a modified non-VP build of it (so I could run grace hatred and low clarity on mana, and easily switch out into purity of X for extra max res on hard map bosses) that consistently runs dom in 4 minutes, skipping most mobs cuz evas are pricks. piety takes 4-5 minutes, killing everything in the way. this was before barrage buff, so times should be quicker now. been playing new leagues though, so I can't give you data on it

temple piety requires surgeon's topaz. finding her early is recommended so you can run away and refill flasks on regular mobs and come back fully loaded. switch out clarity for purity of lightning helps a lot too of course

never did 76+ maps, cuz map progression is bullshit. but pre 76, the only boss I'm terrified of is villa caliga. he just kites you all day and there's nothing you can do about it cuz desync + barrage's small cone of fire = you're just never touching him ever

other maps is pretty standard stuff for ranged. enfeeble, run away, get skel totem up, then turret mode the boss to death when it's busy fighting your infinitely replenishing skel army

original build probably couldn't handle reflect cuz he used 3 unis and had 150% life from tree... I used full rares, and could handle up to double reflect + vuln, though just barely. any more than that I probably would've killed myself...so I just pretend to be a regular wander until I can confirm there's no reflect rare there if I'm doing a phys reflect map in a pug, cuz of course, people like to do dumb things. like vuln and shock stack reflect packs

VP is better now than ever, imo. being able to use flasks and it not being in the middle of nowhere is huge. 60% reduction is nothing compared to reduction of regular life leech. so in a way, VP was actually massively buffed

"
alex_gio1983 wrote:
Am I doing something wrong?

The build says "cheap" but i found that the item required are not so cheap for my standards.
I see in poe.xyz that all the item we need are above 1-2ex.

Tabula rasa 3ex other 6-link are above 4-5ex
maligaro 1ex
rat nest's 2ex and above

The only thing affardable for me are white 5 link armor and even this will cost all my chaos that i have now.

In chat trade nobody would ever bother to buy my poor equipment, so i'm trying harldy to stash some chaos.
Note that i'm not complaing or crying, simply i don't get how to get medium wealth (not rich).
I know that the only way is play, that there are no short road... but any advice would be welcome.

Im at the end of cruel, before facing dominus.
So far i leveled with flameblast + trap.

Do you think i should buy a 4-link voll's? only thing that is stopping me is that it will halves my mana pool. Or as the op said spare all the currency for buying a 6link or tabula?
My build so far:
http://goo.gl/1AL0hR

(sorry in advice for my poor english)

op played in standard, where currency falls from the sky. none of those unis are core though. you really just need a 5l chest and 2 good wands. you can level with 4l barrage-coc-ek-pcoc if you really want and happen to have some low level crit wands. my suggestion is to just keep power leveling til 60ish til you have all the major crit nodes and a 5l for life leech so you can survive
@Alex_gio: what Bowser said. The only item that is actually required is either a 4-link voll's or a 5-link random armor.

about Voll's Protector:
1. Main advantages:
- you can treat it as having one additional link
- you can use Cold Snap and permafreeze anything but high-hitpoint bosses
- this build isn't really affected by the halved mana. The passive mana regen is insignificant and you will use Blood Magic + Clarity to sustain your barrage with or without Voll's. Also, when you start using Hatred + Purity + Grace in Merciless, you won't have enough unreserved mana to cast anything but Barrage anyway. This is circumvented by casting spells with blood magic or with Barrage + CoC + 2 spells as a secondary support attack in a 4-link item. The only difference between using Voll's and using anotehr armor is that you will need to be level 70+ and to have a high-level reduced mana gem to have enough unreserved mana to cast Barrage. That means that getting a white 5-link armor is better than a 4-link Voll's in the earlier stages of the game. However, if you want a significant boost to your power after level 70, a 5-link Voll's protector is hands down the best option in terms of cost/efficiency.

2. Disadvantages:
- I already discussed the halved mana, it's not an issue when you level up
- it can't compare to a good 6-link rare or unique chest, but they are very expensive
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Mar 12, 2014, 6:47:15 AM
Thanks for the replys. I will do my best to get voll's or a cheap 5-link.
Im tired of flameblast/fire-trap mobs! :-)
Hey guys, I have a question.

Right now I am using a tabula rasa, with EK, CoC, PCoC, Barrage, LL and Faster Attacks/Chain/Summon Skeletons

I normally run purity + hatred, but I finished getting all mana nodes so I can start using haste too.

This is my helm:

I get 23 mana left to use barrage, and my barrage costs 18 mana. So it is like 1 hit, "no mana left", 1 more hit and repeat.

What I would like to ask is:

1. Right now I have a level 17 non quality reduced mana on my helmet. Aura costs are %36, %36, %24. Should I quality it so auras will cost like %33 %33, %22 so I can get like 50 on my mana pool? (which is enough to sustain barrage)

2. Can I get rid of vaal pact and use LS + LoH and get 4-5 more points on HP nodes? Bad idea?

3. I plan on buying an 6L but I have no idea what to do. I can buy 5L voll for cheaper but when my mana will be like 16. I can buy 6L eva chest but I don't know what should be the 6th gem.

So far with my tabula, I tried:
- Summon Skeletons: Spawns skeletons too quick, eventually destroys my pc.
- Faster attacks: Looks good and I can sustain it with no problems.
- Chain: Mob packs get destroyed, I swap to faster attacks for bosses but can't sustain mana. (Need to level my clarity to 7 or 8)
- Cold snap: Didn't try.
- Fireball: Didn't try.
- Dual EK: Doesn't work I think?

4. Should I get dual res 6L to cap my resists and get rid of purity? My stats without purity: cap fire, 46 cold and 14 lightning. (and I can use purity on -ER maps)

IGN: Aristona
"
aristona37 wrote:
Hey guys, I have a question.

Right now I am using a tabula rasa, with EK, CoC, PCoC, Barrage, LL and Faster Attacks/Chain/Summon Skeletons

I normally run purity + hatred, but I finished getting all mana nodes so I can start using haste too.

This is my helm:

I get 23 mana left to use barrage, and my barrage costs 18 mana. So it is like 1 hit, "no mana left", 1 more hit and repeat.

What I would like to ask is:

1. Right now I have a level 17 non quality reduced mana on my helmet. Aura costs are %36, %36, %24. Should I quality it so auras will cost like %33 %33, %22 so I can get like 50 on my mana pool? (which is enough to sustain barrage)

2. Can I get rid of vaal pact and use LS + LoH and get 4-5 more points on HP nodes? Bad idea?

3. I plan on buying an 6L but I have no idea what to do. I can buy 5L voll for cheaper but when my mana will be like 16. I can buy 6L eva chest but I don't know what should be the 6th gem.

- Summon Skeletons: Spawns skeletons too quick, eventually destroys my pc.
- Faster attacks: Looks good and I can sustain it with no problems.
- Chain: Mob packs get destroyed, I swap to faster attacks for bosses but can't sustain mana. (Need to level my clarity to 7 or 8)
- Cold snap: Didn't try.
- Fireball: Didn't try.
- Dual EK: Doesn't work I think?

4. Should I get dual res 6L to cap my resists and get rid of purity? My stats without purity: cap fire, 46 cold and 14 lightning. (and I can use purity on -ER maps)

Quality reduced mana doesn't affect auras, only the normal effect from the gem
About barrage: you need clarity at about level 10 (might be more or less depending on attack speed) + blood magic + reduced mana to sustain its mana cost. I spent a part of the game with 20 unreserved mana and could still spam barrage without interruption.

1. Right now I have a level 17 non quality reduced mana on my helmet. Should I quality it?
- No. Quality reduces the mana cost of spells which are actually cast, not the mana reserved by auras.

- As I've said, I played without VP without problems, but I used skeletons as a meatshield for some bosses, so your situation might be different. What is LS + LoH?

- When I finally 5-linked my Voll's, I used some respec points and got the three life and mana passive nodes. That should do the trick (with clarity + blood magic at a sufficient level!).

- Cold snap: Didn't try. >>> It's awesome, but only with Voll's.
- Fireball: Didn't try. >>> It's pretty good, but only with LMP/GMP as projectile support.
- Dual EK: Doesn't work I think? >>> It doesn't.

- Not having to use purity for capped resists is always nice, but it's more of a luxury. Having only 14 lightning resist, however, is a disaster, with or without purity. Do something to get lightning resist ASAP.

Last edited by Bars on Mar 12, 2014, 11:43:59 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I'll buy my 6L chest today and will replace
with more resistant one (120 hp+capped LR) and get remaining resists on my chest with a high life if I'm lucky.

I leveled my first clarity to 16 but I was using it on mana so I could run only 1 auras. Right now my clarity is level 3, and it sustains well 6L if I use faster attacks. However, chain requires more mana regen. If I calculated correctly, it should be around level 8 when it can sustain my chain too.

Thanks for explaining spells, but you missed my question. Is there anything else I can use as my 6th gem? Skeletons work really great but sadly they slow down my pc alot. What are my options here?

LoH is life on hit, so I thought about using Lifesteal + Life on hit with EK and remove vaal pact to get some more HP nodes. Not sure if it's better.

Also, what should I use on my "unused" 4L boots or gloves?

Wand 1: Lightning Warp, Red. Dur, Faster C.
Wand 2: Clarity, Red. Mana, Blood M.
Chest: Offensive spells
Helm: Hatred, Haste, Purity, Red. Mana

Gloves: CWDT, Molten Shell, Critical Weakness (last green spot is empty, dunno what to add)
Boots: Armor type, 4L and completely unused.

What should I add there? Spell totem skelly combo?

IGN: Aristona

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info