Barrage Wonder Wanderer – how to DEMOLISH maps (1.3.X)

Welcome Exile,
If you are looking for chip, extremely fast, endgame build with insane DPS and not bad survivability you are in good place :)

Is this build dead after 1.3.0 nerf ?
Spoiler

Short answer: Not at all :)

What was changed?
“Cast on Critical Strike's cooldown has been increased from 0.01 seconds to 0.05 seconds”

This is terrible nerf but for other CoC bilds like Spectral Throw or low life Barrage with insane attack sped from Blood Rage. This build uses GMP + Barrage (8 projectiles per attack) so unless you attack faster than 2,5 times per second this change with CoC don’t matter.

Videos:
Spoiler

Easy 76 map with 7 unlocated skillpoints and Ice Spear on 17 level :)
http://youtu.be/Ugu34Mrcqos

Old videos.
PHYSICAL damage with EK (Level 71 yellow map with cool fractured mod)
http://youtu.be/V6gKMiiAZp0
ELEMENTAL damage with Fireball and Arctic Breath (Level 73 map)
http://youtu.be/9AtdDYBiWfw
Map
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQDzI42eF0Q&feature=youtu.be
Double boss fight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRSYTBY_-QM&feature=youtu.be

The concept:
Spoiler

I’m experienced but lazy player so I like simple cookie-cutter builds. With HUGE damage and at least decent survivability. Preferably with 1 button and without annoying charges timer or constant granite flask drinking. I made a build better then expected.
Cast on critical strike (CoC). This is the base of the build. When you make a critical strike this gem gives 86% chance for instant cast of every single spell connected with it. When you critically hit one monster few times even with one attack or hit multiple monsters CoC can trigger for EVERY critical hit. And can trigger all different spells attached.
All you need is fast attack which can hit multiple enemies connected with CoC and good damage spell. THE WEAPON DAMAGE IS NOT IMPORTANT. DAMAGE COMES ONLY FROM THE SPELLS.

The best spell for CoC?

1)Ethereal Knives. It is fast, AoE and have the good damage. Huge mana cost is irrelevant because spells cast with CoC did not drain mana. This spell was nerfed for CoC users so I don’t recommend it now.
2)Fireball, Arctic Breath, Ice Spear has been buff a lot. They are really powerful spells now especially with GMP

The best weapon?

Fast, with high crit chance preferably with a lot of spell dmg. Only daggers and wands are perfect for that. So what to choose?
1)Daggers can be used as melee or range. Cyclone is not good skill for CoC after 1.3 nerf and we need much better gear/defense to go melee. We can also use spectral throw but it is so slow and not good for single target.
2) Wands can be used with new superfast skill Barrage. It hit 4 times so it is good for single target and most important it is range. Can be linked with LMP/GMP but much better choice is Chain gem because it has much better synergy with EK. This is the best choice for CoC!

Pros and Cons
Spoiler
PROS:
• Insane damage
• Ultra high clear speed
• Chip equipment
• Leech max health with almost every hit
• No problems with reflect
• Good for almost all maps mod
• 80-95% chance to crit with power charges up.
• Range not melee

CONS:
• Can’t go AFK like with aegis aurora/armour/block char
• Single target damage is lower. You can sometimes one-shot only few low level map bosses.
• Survivability is only decent.

Skill gems, auras and and links
Spoiler
6L is only one expensive item what you really need. Tabula Rasa will be good, 6L with evasion will be much better and defence from Lighting Coil or offence from Voll’s Protector will be the best.
If you have only 5l it is also good.

Link your games like this:

First thing to consider is what will be the power charges source. There are 3 options:
1) From Volls protector armour (good lazy way – best in dps)
2) From Power Charge on Critical Hit gem in your 6 link (good lazy way but less dps)
3) Additional 4 link: Barrage – PCoCH – Curse on Hit – Projectile Weakness (good way for max dps in main 6L and cursing but not so easy to keep power charges max)

Main 6 link
Barrage – CoC –Life Leech – GMP – Fireball – Arctic Breath/Ice Spear/other spell
(Power charge source must be in different 4L or from Volls Protector)

Auras
I decided to go with AgentKay suggestion to drop haste and aura nodes
• Grace (on mana) – A lot of armour thanks to Iron Reflex
• Herald of Thunder – nice way to apply shock on monsters. Have to be linked with mana leech! No problems with mana anymore :)
• Herald of Ice - we have some free mana so why not?
For bosses/harder fights
There are few useful vall gems to use. Vaal Summon Skeletons and Vaal Grace are the best IMO

To increase defense:
• CwDT – Frost Wall – Projectile Weakness - Summon Skeletons – Decoy Totem
(Frost Wall is really good because it push back all melee mobs and protect you from rengers. Much better for range char than enduring cry + immortal call combo)

Passive tree
Spoiler

https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgYAl5dFfPv15Rm0OIw2VUth4iaVFr8HY8u9Ax4fQXBScNWJ013yY0MOSBGWlS4HHvDV6_WP-mSd8h0vb9kTcLvsGAYj44Q2PWyMnapirLTFwuw6Qkt43agwcdQjBbWNv1FH_94k_edUMHxNkiP2jX1_K9aKUUzKSsM6m7VTNQ-rdweHE5ykb56DCaxHfVsqTSo4qW618m6qSsg_J9i9NZKmV03j_o8IsT_86GZ4Df4KOuHyRcDjS1fxsypbefZDNlLsgl65fIwL7LDljp1jpLE=

About the leveling trees:
1) I recommend to level with different skill like Flameblast/Ice spear/whatever spell you like (for elemental way) and migrate to barrage CoC when you reach level 60-70!
2) I will not post leveling trees because it should look different depending what gear you have. I give only one suggestion: fulfil the tree taking first that nodes you like to have. If you lack survi – get life and evasion if you lack offence – get phys/elemental damage and crit chance/multi, if you lack int/str get some +30 node and respec it later.

Items:
Spoiler
1)Weapons

Look for wand with:

Fast attack speed (1.5are the best), High crit chance (min10%), Spell damage (min50%). Very good mods are: +accuracy, +crit multi and +critical chance for sells.
You can use 2 wands if you are looking for higher dmg but more attack speed from dual wielding and some spell dmg is not worth life and ress from using shield IMO.

2) Chest

Any 6L is good. 6L eva or eva/arm is perfect but Lighting Coil or especially Volls is the best option.

3) Helm
The best option is rat nest: huge crit chance and 15% attack speed is most important.

4) Glows
The best option is Maligaro’s: nice crit chance, good crit multi and attack speed.

5) Belt
Rare belt with life and res will be the best.
6) Boots
Rare belt with life movement speed and res will be the best

7) Amulet and rings
I strongly recommend crit chance on all 3 items. Just take diamond rings and amu with global crit chance. Very important is additional life, resists and crit multi. Best with +accuary +spell dmg.

8) Shield
Chose ES with spell dmg, life and resists. For better survi use high evasion shield.

My equipment

Is the Shadow the best/only option?
Spoiler
I made this char by full respec my old dagger shadow. The other option is Ranger. They are very very similar as but Shadow will have slightly better damage and Ranger slightly better survival

Bandits:
Spoiler
Normal - Help Oak for 40hp or take 1 skill point
Cruel - kill all for passive
Merc – Get the power charge!!!

Acknowledgements
Special thanks to The_x_ile for help with theorycrafting this build
Thanks to Bars, iBoudoux and The_x_ile for anvsering questions in this threat :)

My new guide :) http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1158397

ing: Storm_Gaze
Last edited by LeMing on Jan 5, 2015, 3:13:02 AM
Have you experimented with other spells?
"
Chiliconkarma wrote:
Have you experimented with other spells?

im at the moment trying to work that with storm call
my builds:
- COLB (Cast On Last Breath) first ever build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1632595
- the Flash: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1367774
- the oro's bridle build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1409823
How about arc?
really interesting build.

how about curses? wouldn't projectile weakness be better? reducing the chance to miss from the initial barrage hit also knock-backing mobs?

I made some adaptations for the build for self use, what do you think of it?

I will be using tabula rasa and the triple dodge nodes without iron reflexes, without vaal pact, i would play only solo with this build, pretty much

and i'll be starting as ranger instead of shadow

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIAAAYAXgR-BbUF-QguEZYV8BX2F9gZihmOGo8a2xzcJDwk_SaVJ6ktRy2DL28wcTB8NJM6QjpYSVFKfUt4TipQQlFHUzVVS1b6Wm1br13yXvpieWNwZ6BtbG17cFJwu3DVdEF3138rf8aHGYd2jDaNv5cGm42btZ2joi6nXK7PtUi2Qb6nwA_AUcSixqLQOdDu0k3TftQj1QDWitkT3Q3dqOdU647tg-4O73rv4_F28-r22vej-WP7Cfyr_MU=
IGN: Wanderoux
Last edited by iBoudoux on Dec 20, 2013, 1:48:19 AM
I really like this build, will definately give it a shot, since the tabula version is quite cheap.

However, I noticed there are a few possible improvements to the build. You don't need pressure points near the ranger start, since the crit multi would only apply to your barrage. You'd need global or spell crit multi for EK. Also, the one point in 1h attack speed is wasted too, wands aren't melee weapons. You should take the 10dex node instead.

And how about frenzy with PCoC for even more attack speed and crit chance? You'd have to spend a few seconds building up charges, but it might be worth it if you want to hassle with charges.
i've tried that as low life version. problem is though that you need to be quiet close to your enemies. when you fight dominus he can hit you with his touch of god attack when you are in ek range. i like vaal pact and started as scion so i can go both ways. imo projectile weakness is the better curse because you hit more often to proc ek, all your proj (ek and barrage) pierce and knockback and add way more dmg. your crit chance is already high enough and the little crit dmg isn't that big a deal imo.
IGN: Perz | Reaver: view-thread/523959 | Wander: view-thread/742525 | Cycloner: view-thread/804489
"
Chiliconkarma wrote:
How about arc?

I don't have many high level spells. I was trying 20level sparks. 18 level EK was better than 20 sparks. That is all I can say.
"
iBoudoux wrote:
really interesting build.
how about curses? wouldn't projectile weakness be better? reducing the chance to miss from the initial barrage hit also knock-backing mobs?
I made some adaptations for the build for self use, what do you think of it?
I will be using tabula rasa and the triple dodge nodes without iron reflexes, without vaal pact, I would play only solo with this build, pretty much
and i'll be starting as ranger instead of shadow

Thx for the post. I will try Projectile Weakness curse. Knocking back could be useful but I have feeling that Critical Weakness is the best. This is the best offensive but also defensive curse. My only option for fast full heal is to make critical strike with EK and this curse improves my chances.
Your adaptation looks good. I have only 2 concerns. 1)Without Vaal Pact reflect is deadly. You will oneshot yourself. Use Conversion Trap for reflect mobs. 2)There is HUGE difference between 65-70-75 crit chance. 5 crit chance nodes near Conduit helps a lot.
"
maladeth wrote:
I really like this build, will definately give it a shot, since the tabula version is quite cheap.
However, I noticed there are a few possible improvements to the build. You don't need pressure points near the ranger start, since the crit multi would only apply to your barrage. You'd need global or spell crit multi for EK. Also, the one point in 1h attack speed is wasted too, wands aren't melee weapons. You should take the 10dex node instead.
And how about frenzy with PCoC for even more attack speed and crit chance? You'd have to spend a few seconds building up charges, but it might be worth it if you want to hassle with charges.

Wow, Thank you for the post. I really did rookie mistake with the tree. Thanks you a lot for pointing it. I will make change to the tree. But I think Pressure Points appleies to spells???
About the charges: I was using other attack: Frenzy-Power Charge on Crit-Add Crit Chance-GMP and it works. But honestly I'm to lazy for that. Everything dying fast so collecting charges slows me. I need simple build but It helps when your level is not high or crit chance is low.
"
Perz wrote:
i've tried that as low life version. problem is though that you need to be quiet close to your enemies. when you fight dominus he can hit you with his touch of god attack when you are in ek range. i like vaal pact and started as scion so i can go both ways. imo projectile weakness is the better curse because you hit more often to proc ek, all your proj (ek and barrage) pierce and knockback and add way more dmg. your crit chance is already high enough and the little crit dmg isn't that big a deal imo.

Thanks for post. I have to try projectile weakness. I have q18% Critical Weakness so it gives 72% MORE damage from critical strike. That is a lot. I'm hardly trying to make EK go further: Ballistic Mastery gives 20%, 20q chain = 20% and both wands can have faster projectiles. If you max all EK should be offscreen.
ing: Storm_Gaze
Last edited by LeMing on Dec 20, 2013, 8:33:01 AM
I have re-done my adaptation of your build with the dodge passives + vaal paact.

I have went another route getting more aura nodes + getting more crit.

LMk what you think of it

PS: I dropped the 3 block passives with DW, it is great, but in this route imo there are more important nodes.

- The remaining nodes would go into life nodes, so many options such as 8/8/12 and 8% 20 str ones

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIBAAYAXgR-BbUF-QguEZYV8BX2F9gY2xmKGY4ajxrbHNwdqiFgJP0otSoLKjgtRy2DL28wcTB8OkI6WECgRnFKfUt4UEJRR1O4Vvpbr13yXvpieWegaA5qP2-ecFJwu3DVdEF08XfXfyt_xoMJhVWHE4cZh3aJ04w2jb-TJ5cGm42btZyknaOeuaIutAzAUcM6xKLGospK0DnQ7tN-1CPVANaK2RPdDd2o4YjnVO2D7g7vTu968Xbz6vba96P5Y_sJ_Kv8xQ==
IGN: Wanderoux
Hello! Cool build its a very good way to farm up currency and transform into phys wander
In hardcore/nemesis since the skelleton suits wells for alot of crit based builds in hardcore.
But could u add level progression 20-40-60 and when to start playing with coc+ek. Would be nice for new players.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info