1.0.2 Microtransaction Videos and Damage Over Time Changes

I was waiting with my puncture build for the changes, but seems I can just go ahead with my plans, good :) Solid balanced changes I think.
So this does not affect puncture at all then? since the wording on the gem is:
Bleeding targets take (10 to 29)% of the Physical Damage Dealt per second
Or will increased physical damage (and also phys dmg from bow/one hand/two hand etc if that weapon did the puncture) increase both the first hit damage and then the puncture damage as well? If not then puncture for players is still the same as before and not realy usefull :/
Last edited by SpaceOgre on Nov 26, 2013, 3:50:42 AM
"
decompose wrote:
So I read through all the responses, and a lot of people are confused.

What I expect from this patch is that "x% Increased Fire Damage" will continue to affect a fire skill but also the fire damage over time from ignition will now benefit from this increase.

I was under the impression it always affected the fire damage over time, being as the burn is a product of the initially increased damage amount - the change seems that it will not only affect it indirectly as before, but directly now as well.

I think this is why the change seems unclear to us.

After the patch if I understand this correctly, with 50% Increased Fire Damage if I deal x damage to a monster with fire damage which if ignited they immediately begin to burn - the initial hit will remain unchanged but instead of burning for x damage over 3 seconds (for the sake of example they have 0% increased burning damage) they will now burn for x*1.5 damage over 3 seconds.

I also assume that this will work retroactively with things that reduce fire resistance, the fire damage over time should now be increased as well.

What remains unclear

1. Will increases to "Elemental Damage" increase the fire damage over time now.
2. can proliferated status affects such as fire damage over time be considered "area damage"

A clarification on some of our concerns would be amazing :)

Thanks for your work and the interesting patch, once I concur the realm of burning I plan to dive into a hard hitting puncture flee combo build. I've loved the majority of changes since release, great work.

I think most people realize this is how it did and will now work. Fire damage made your skill hit harder which increased the burn. The question is though... is there going to be a nerf to the initial burn damage since you can scale it even higher now? I hate to bring that up but it would soon become obvious anyway. Burn damage is already good... and if unchanged, it will become insanely powerful. I would just rather see the nerf now, rather than later after everyone jumps on the burn wagon. How OP would it be tho? It would do insane dmg from throwing an arc totem up for shock stacks and using EE... but it also takes time to setup that combo which balances it out.

It still leaves a lot of questions though... like the aoe. If AoE passives affected the burn. I would assume concentrated effect on fireball would too, which would be pretty awesome.

I think it can be assumed elemental damage would increase burn as well. Elemental damage just seems like an easy way of saying it is fire, cold, and lightning all combined. Cant be positive though i guess.
Last edited by PhreEkGarden on Nov 26, 2013, 4:05:29 AM
Chris: Does this affect the support gems that could be linked to the skills. Could you now link; Increased Burning, Fire Penetration, Concentrated Effect etc to Righteous Fire?

sounds like we will see alot of unbalance stuff next patch.
IGN: kReiZy
Something else came to mind....

Can poison arrow now work on totems? I would think so since it would scale damage... just like melee splash and viper strike.

If so... would increased totem damage apply to the cloud?

Seems interesting..... ;)
"
Chris wrote:
Magic, Rare and Unique monsters have a damage bonus built into their rarity - this will now also apply to any damage over time they cause.

How high is this damage bonus, sounds like some rares/uniques will deal alot of damage (corrupted blood / viper strike rogue exiles).

will armour work against the bleeds now?
"
ShinoRagnar wrote:
Chris: Does this affect the support gems that could be linked to the skills. Could you now link; Increased Burning, Fire Penetration, Concentrated Effect etc to Righteous Fire?

Exactly the same question I was left with!
Will Le Heup of All work with DOT's like poison arrow?
INGAME: Savanity
So what exactly can possibly increase Viper strike dot now? from the way this thread is announced and the current state of VS one can assume the goal was to buff it, but now melee splash with its penalty isnt worth trying, and multistrike goes 180 degrees weather to use it or not.

Maybe if each crit can affect its dot stack then viperstrike will suddenly becomes like the first good melee/physical skill to optimally use crits to increase its dps. and it gives a reason to keep attacking on a 4 stacks VS target, in hope of refreshing non crit stacks for crit stacks.

But I doubt crit is in the equation now, they need to change the skill for this.

It's also possible that they are planning to buff its base dot this patch or soon to compensate.
IGN:-@Ekolite
------@Krilian
Last edited by Ekolite on Nov 26, 2013, 5:03:38 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info