GGG Please Figure out how to stop Boosting (screenshots included)

Bad solution

Because friends would not be able to help other friends complete quests that they've already done.

This also does absolutely nothing to stop boosters in a month race or general leagues btw.
An easy way to stop boosters is to make increased rarity/quantity on party work as exp: only applies if you are close to the monster killed. It also helps with the problem of spliting parties.

Ofc the solution will be gone once real botting is working.
Because life is short, you shall make rains of all sort - Amarena, the Iron Man
-
My IRON MAN witch build video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJOUcu0ioL4
-
Do you want your witch wearing PANTS? check
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/19769
That's not how exp works in groups.
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
That's not how exp works in groups.

Do I have to be explicit on everything? If I say 'only applies to the ones close" I am saying (shared) exp:

"
Malice wrote:
CombatEffect on experience
For a description on how experience is shared between players, see the level scaling section above. Only party members actually in the instance count toward getting XP. If one member is in town he gets no XP.
Experience is only shared with other players who are near you (roughly two screens). Monsters are still made harder by players elsewhere on the level.
Being in an are with a party member grants you a 30% experience bonus.
Monsters give +50% base XP for every party member after the first.

Make this work for any bonuses from partying up.

I hope I got myself clear for ya now.
Because life is short, you shall make rains of all sort - Amarena, the Iron Man
-
My IRON MAN witch build video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJOUcu0ioL4
-
Do you want your witch wearing PANTS? check
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/19769
I think that would be a terrible solution. Like you eluded, that punishes legit players that team and stray from the pack and rewards those with bots that just have the pack follow 2 screens behind, or so.

When it comes to exp, the problem is the "bonus" for being leveled higher than your teammates isn't capped. Cap it at a 10 level advantage (or something like that) and boosting no longer is worthwhile.

When it comes to loot, you can't punish the boosters without punishing those that are legit, and even worse, the boosters with bots will become stronger.
How Fusings Work: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/38585/page/3#p1451934

IGN: TheHammer
"
TehHammer wrote:
I think that would be a terrible solution. Like you eluded, that punishes legit players that team and stray from the pack and rewards those with bots that just have the pack follow 2 screens behind, or so.

When it comes to exp, the problem is the "bonus" for being leveled higher than your teammates isn't capped. Cap it at a 10 level advantage (or something like that) and boosting no longer is worthwhile.

When it comes to loot, you can't punish the boosters without punishing those that are legit, and even worse, the boosters with bots will become stronger.

I dont think 10 (or whatever random number you use) levels is the issue here.

I boost right now, its very easy to do. I can get a toon to level 60 in about 12 to 13 hours (yes Ive timed it).

This will simply make it so people will level up alts (or have friends do it) and then boost.

What they should do (as I said in the other 2 threads on this) is limit the exp cap to even share of the exp.

IE. 4 players in a party, the max exp anyone in the party can get is 25% of the exp from the monsters. So if I solo kill a monster in a 4 man group, I get 25% of that exp, the other 75% is lost.

About the level difference bonus/venality. Again, the exp is capped. So if I'm level 60, on a level 60 map, with level 1 players, with total of 4 man group.
I will get 25% of what a level 60 monster gives me. The other guys will get 0% (As they do now)
Instead of how it is now where, I will get 100% of the exp of a level 60 monster.

About the added loot drop. I think its fine.

If you want to solo monsters with 3.5x HP for extra loot drops, then where is the problem? You still getting only getting a small part of the exp for high HP monsters, I dont see a problem with giving more loot.

If people "boost" for more loot only, I dont see it being much different than running the instances 3.5x as many times instead. In fact from my numbers you would be better off running the instance 3.5x times for loot due to how loot drops are semi capped at high IIQ.
Easy, simple

Perfect.
The real benefit to boosting it the increased IIQ. The XP is just gravy. Once you get to farm mode it's all about the drops.

Before the last migration to legacy I always logged in my alt to boost my main. Initially, it helped during the mid 50s and 60s for the xp but the extra 50% IIQ helped and really shined on maps. Even running a white map with an alt gave you rare quality IIQ. The extra mob HP was insignificant for my build. I’m happy with it the way it is. At present you really, can’t get the IIQ from gear that you can with boosting. In the end running a 0% IIQ map with a booster is much easier than running a 50% IIQ map solo.

So in todays game I miss my 50% IIQ boost but don’t want to put in the time p/l an alt to get to end game knowing there is a wipe coming. Once OB comes it won’t be so much of chore since I have several alt/ builds I want to play and it’s easier to space them on separate accounts because you can rush content.

A lot of the proposed solutions will cause more harm than good and just upset the players.
"
Cacia wrote:
The real benefit to boosting it the increased IIQ. The XP is just gravy.

Depends on context. Are you trying to win races, or have the biggest stash in default/hc? One actually does go with the other. If you want wealth, you should consider the XP aspect very important - race winners come away with lots of wealth! Ironically, if you're just a racer, wealth in default/hc don't matter one whit.

Quite a lot of people would consider the XP abuse a bigger issue.

Anyway, my jab at the IIQ thing goes like this. Make per-player quant bonuses only apply for players in range to gain XP from the kill. That's a bit of a mouthful, I know. IE: with 5 players in an instance, but only 3 in range to gain XP when a monster dies, that monster only drops loot for 3 players.

Someone on the other side of the fence (preserve group play or defeat botting forever?) will say that my fix doesn't do enough to close the door on bots. How long does it take to develop something like Etal? Took them something like, 8 years? I don't think it's time to stifle group play quite yet. Leave that until we see said super-bot, because I think there are already enough roadblocks in place for the rudimentary ones.
Let a man walk alone -
Let him commit no sin.
Let him bear few wishes,
Like an elephant in the forest.
Last edited by Zakaluka on Oct 31, 2012, 1:11:14 AM
"
Cacia wrote:
The real benefit to boosting it the increased IIQ. The XP is just gravy. Once you get to farm mode it's all about the drops.

Before the last migration to legacy I always logged in my alt to boost my main. Initially, it helped during the mid 50s and 60s for the xp but the extra 50% IIQ helped and really shined on maps. Even running a white map with an alt gave you rare quality IIQ. The extra mob HP was insignificant for my build. I’m happy with it the way it is. At present you really, can’t get the IIQ from gear that you can with boosting. In the end running a 0% IIQ map with a booster is much easier than running a 50% IIQ map solo.

So in todays game I miss my 50% IIQ boost but don’t want to put in the time p/l an alt to get to end game knowing there is a wipe coming. Once OB comes it won’t be so much of chore since I have several alt/ builds I want to play and it’s easier to space them on separate accounts because you can rush content.

A lot of the proposed solutions will cause more harm than good and just upset the players.

The increased IIQ/IIR is not as big of an issue.

You can kill 3x the monsters to get more items. Just run more instances. So you kill monsters with 3x HP. I kill 3x instances full. Same item chance drop. Or at least very close.

Its the XP thats the issue. If you want better item drops, you could easy just farm Thicket over and over. It takes about 2 mins at high level to clear that.

If botting is an issue for IIQ/IIR you cant fix it. They could all bot their own instances and get loot.

Botting is also bannable. Unlike boosting.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info