ES, GS, or GTFO

I suppose I could run clarity if I gave up discipline, but I can't run both of those. I'd be forced to use freezing pulse then... which is akin to using ground slam (freezing pules is super mana effecient for whatever reason, compared to spark or fireball).
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282
Last edited by anubite on Sep 25, 2012, 11:28:49 PM
"
anubite wrote:
I suppose I could run clarity if I gave up discipline, but I can't run both of those. I'd be forced to use freezing pulse then... which is akin to using ground slam (freezing pules is super mana effecient for whatever reason, compared to spark or fireball).

Discipline is fairly useless on a life build.
Former player moderator, valued poster, and early-adopter responsible for The Blood Dance.

GGG has forgotten where they came from. As a result, I no longer support the deceitful, corporate Tencent slave sellouts running this game.
Attempting to work out a Physical bow build that would utilize Poison Arrow's added Chaos effect along with Burning Arrow possibly augmented like this:

Burning Arrow
-Added Fire
-Weapon Elemental
-Chance to Ignite

Obviously Vulnerability would be the curse-of-choice here...

I considered Puncture as well, but Burning Arrow seemed superior due to higher "on-hit" damage and not having to rely on a moving enemy.

My line of thinking here is that I may not be able to hit the crazy high amounts of damage per attack that I want, but maybe with DoTs, I can come close enough that it won't matter. Having a single attack get a mob low then letting DoTs finish it off seems like a decent option.

I'm having the same issues I was having before, but not as badly - I'm getting closer to the desired goal of this build without ever actually reaching it. If someone has an idea for a tree, post it up. In the meantime, I'll be brainstorming. The hardest part so far seems to be the attributes - 124(?) INT is needed for a max level Vulnerability while 185 or 212 (preferred) DEX is needed for the highest level Physical bows. Iron Grip seems like it would be a fantastic choice here, but there's not much Strength near all of the bow stuff. It seems like I can artificially boost my phys damage by going with a Marauder and taking appropriate nearby passives + Iron Grip or go with a Duelist/Ranger and forget about Iron Grip but take more Physical bow passives. Either way, I'd prefer to stay away from BM so that Hatred would be a possibility.

EDIT: Perhaps Astramentus would alleviate the stat issues...~120 added STR would translate to ~24% increased physical damage if I picked up Iron Grip. I'll look more into that tomorrow.

EDIT: Unable to settle on anything tonight. I might give this idea another go tomorrow. Tentative tree - (Astramentus required for it, 81 PT = LvL 70 with Oak Rewards) - feedback appreciated. It's got slightly more life than my old HP Archer had (although no regen). It also has potentially a far higher armor rating with Grace and Evasion gear (which I'll have to roll, if I decide to run with something like this).
Former player moderator, valued poster, and early-adopter responsible for The Blood Dance.

GGG has forgotten where they came from. As a result, I no longer support the deceitful, corporate Tencent slave sellouts running this game.
Last edited by MonopolyLegend on Sep 26, 2012, 11:16:37 AM
It is nice to hear you are getting near to your goal monopoly :)

BTW have you thought about a Wand Templar. In a reasonable amount of passives you could get more than doubled both physical and elemental damage on wands (i know that their base damage isn't that big, but when ou double it and add all the poassible doubled elementa damages - also you could dual wield them, even without any additional dual wield block it is still more defensive than a bow)

Again theorycrafting, but i might try this when i find some time for PoE: Link Since you need a lot of int for the wands there is no real reason to go for BM, sorry, but IMHO the int would be wasted without mana...
Proud 5th duelist in the Jul 1 2012 Ladder Race and in the Nov 3 2012 Solo Turbo Race :D
And even prouder 4th Templar in the Nov 10 Four-hour Party Hardcore Race :P
Current OB success:
top 20 Ranger in 105 Minute Turbo Solo (S4E9)
I still don't think my overall goal of 10k+ DPS on a life build is going to be possible - by getting closer to my goal, I meant fitting everything I wanted into that build above. It shouldn't be hitting the ludicrously high amounts of DPS others are seeing (at least not in the tooltip), but the DoTs should help out plenty enough that it'd be a worthwhile build to play, especially in situations where it's difficult to kite a fast enemy.

And yea, I realize you can dual wield wands and still be more defensive than bows (arguably - bows use quivers with life/resists that you generally won't see on a wand), but shields are so under-rated, even without any shield passives.

As for that tree, a wand build would generally want 124 DEX for LMP/Faster Attacks (unless using a spell of some sort for AoE damage). Also, I've never seen the point in going with physical damage on wands when the elemental perks are so much stronger (Elemental Hit is a dealbreaker, really) and wand physical damage is so low. Physical damage mods don't get that high, either. Seems like a waste to sit in that region up there and not take advantage of criticals, especially when using wands where you have easy access to Power Siphon! Finally, it's 86 points which would mean level 75 (assuming Oak Rewards are taken, which they generally should be with a life build).

The last thing is the fact that Shadow gets so much more projectile damage + attack speed, both of which are important to elemental builds.

Last edited by MonopolyLegend on Sep 26, 2012, 11:16:04 AM
I have a dual wand life shadow. I should have mentioned it, but he's not in mericless yet. Works really well. He basically just spams power siphon with LMP. He has mana issues, but that's it really.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAQYAAzkrzA3wYAUw6WYSNbUq6za4SjA8SGJLTPtiQU0zvqtPQ1l9UY1KKmPyeo9nQ2ppbE8gYoRadRqHnkkHiSxID4u_Ct-MKoh2j7uWdZgRiHOdMLjXob0q2Km_B2Kxirh6u4z0573PbQDDsg2CyDkwAdJUN_TXhdBa4uLXheTogyP05Gpm9yMgufc8b3v40jJt-z4jqA==

At level 80, I'd hope he'd look like this:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAQYAAzkrzATr_Y0MsYUIDfBgBREO6MsX4RQPF-8Y3hi6bYQhS5TFLNfCCy1Iu-Ew6WYSMx-ViTTKwik1tSrrNrhKMDxIYks-7QSxP55fTUg8KYlIwy3UTPtiQU0zvqtO1--RT0NZfVGNSipTCTjVV80qoFnPxsNa_2xYXefGv2Pyeo9nQ2ppZ-ky1GxPIGJtBxL5dwAWCXxXuaB8hsoZfppk04RadRqHnkkHiSxID4u_Ct-MKoh2j7uWdZgRiHOdMLjXob0q2Km_B2Kxirh6u4z0573PbQDDsg2CyDkwAdJUN_TXhdBa4uLXheTogyP05Gpm9yMgufc8b3v40jJt-z4jqNszIrj0bpC364vb2Jtu4LbHTFYT8KVpEOSomGa6-PZ8hcp3reqO6pjIX5TtxkOMPbNkZUr5hona7ehNW_VwKvrHH2EfsKYR7OoW_b_3BRDOk86mt_iTG5yJzUoCvnTQ1_8_eiP_KKUO
Last edited by anubite on Sep 26, 2012, 11:28:29 AM
Just about anything works well at level 37, but that tree is definitely along the right lines. I'm curious what your 'final' build is planned to look like - will you have enough Accuracy for the later stages of the game? Armor? Attributes for skill gems?

EDIT: Using Evasion it looks like? Will that be enough life given you don't have resistance from armor? I've never run an EV build high enough to see how well it works without armor. Also, what will you do about DEX reqs?

Last edited by MonopolyLegend on Sep 26, 2012, 11:32:25 AM
The 'final' build I just edited in would have just enough dex/str that after an onyx amulet with +to all attributes (have a few of these in my stash, as well as astramentus if necessary0, I could probably utilize most support gems to suffient levels.

If you count my life nodes, I have a decent amount. I also have a few +ES nodes taken so I imagine I'd use ES+EVA armor with high life, giving me a fairly decent amount of defense; I haven't used armor in months, by the way. The build I linked probably would be a 'life with ES/EVA buffer' build, so it's still kind of life-focused, since I'd get the most defense out of stacking life, with a little buffer from dodge and ES, but since wands have great range, you don't need a lot of defense I think. The free culling strike on power siphon is just great, really. Combine that with a high crit attack and things keel over.

I would have excellent DPS with 5 power charges up I think, would be awesome if I could run wrath, anger and hatred but I dunno if my mana regen would be sufficient for that. I have pretty darn good attack speed.

The best thing is if my DPS is really high I can just substitute some damage for the nearby +curse passives; enemies are easy to deal with if you projectile curse + temporal chains them, or temporal chains + some other defensive curse.
Last edited by anubite on Sep 26, 2012, 11:38:30 AM
I use the offline skill tree to check exact numbers - unless it's calculating things incorrectly, you've got 110% increased life which would normally be a sufficient healthpool, but it sounds like you're not taking Oak Passives and you won't have armor. With EV + ES armor, you're more of a hybrid build (like the last one I posted) which could ideally work. It's not quite what I'm looking for, but I don't see any easier way to do a wand build (besides going pure ES with CI, anyway).

Wrath + Anger shouldn't be an issue, though I'm not sure how much they'll help you since you focused more on physical damage than elemental. Hatred would probably be the better option if you had to pick between the pair of Wrath + Anger or Hatred.

Last edited by MonopolyLegend on Sep 26, 2012, 11:38:50 AM
110% sounds about right, I haven't counted since the shadow in question is basically on hold for now; and yes, I also never take the bandit rewards, always get +1 passive point

If you want someone using both life and energy shield, there just aren't enough passive points to support getting equal/balanced amounts of both. You have to min/max one or the other, supporting life or es with dodge and/or armor.

"

Wrath + Anger shouldn't be an issue, though I'm not sure how much they'll help you since you focused more on physical damage than elemental. Hatred would probably be the better option if you had to pick between the pair of Wrath + Anger or Hatred.

Well, if you notice, I do get +% wand elemental damage passives, I'll also be using +weapon elemental damage passives since Iron Grip isn't really worth a support gem slot; 10% of my physical damage is converted into each kind of element too. Using all 3 auras would give me a good damage boost, though not amazing.
Last edited by anubite on Sep 26, 2012, 11:42:02 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info