ES, GS, or GTFO

"
The most fun, and the most OP setup i've played and continue to play is a bow shadow.

Its level 50 at the moment and has mediocre damage due to the fact that im still using the same bow i had at level 28 (also has some very shitty gear):

Spoiler
Unavailable
Unavailable

Unavailable
Unavailable

Unavailable
Unavailable

Unavailable
Unavailable

Unavailable

I use lightning arrow as aoe dmg and currently yields about 550 dps (with Lesser multiple projectiles)

I use elemental hit for strong single target dps, it currently does about 850+ dps.

I use: clarity, disc, wrath, anger, grace auras.

I still have 40% of mana to play around with.

I have 12 points wasted in the witch ES nodes as i'm making the switch to evasion.

Let me tell you about my experience with CI and evasion.

i had over 2k ES and about 20% evasion and i was getting my ass handed to me in ruthless, i had no idea what i was going to do to fix the problem.

After much Passive skill tree planning i decided to switch to evasion, i only had enough regrets + respec points to redistrubte 10 skill points.

Those 10 points where enough to get to me 50+ evasion and i immediately felt the effects, i lasted a considerable amount more, and i still kept disc aura on (gives + 400 ish ES atm)

with more regret orbs and upgraded gear i feel as if i could take anything on in the game.

As it stands i 1 one shot normal monsters in merciless.

Havent done Merveil yet (being busy with UNI) but let me tell you about Brutus (merciless):

Step 1: ran to within 1/2 screen away from brutus.

Step 2: Projectile weakness + 3 stacks of frenzy

step 3: ran back a little so i was 1/2 screen away still

Step 4:Hold elemental arrow,

Results: he died before he could cover 1/2 the distance that was between us, never got a hit off on me at all.

- i got that with below mediocre gear, non-melee, no CI, no ground slam, life + evasion (with Disc aura on top)

I'm telling you my little anecdote to show you that ES isnt the be all and end all of defense and that there is an alternative non-melee damage that doesnt rely on CI and or ground slam.

500-800 DPS isn't much. I used to run lightning arrow as well and broke 2k DPS with it; it was incredibly weak (the DPS, not lightning arrow).
Former player moderator, valued poster, and early-adopter responsible for The Blood Dance.

GGG has forgotten where they came from. As a result, I no longer support the deceitful, corporate Tencent slave sellouts running this game.
Last edited by MonopolyLegend on Sep 21, 2012, 7:09:05 PM
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
"
aimlessgun wrote:
Well you can get high DPS on an elemental bow ranger that doesn't have CI, but you probably already know that and are talking about marauders. (also even bow rangers really like using EV/ES gear and Discipline to get some of that sweet sweet ES, so they're not really 'life based').

PS: who the hell is getting 25k DPS without diamond up. I call bullshit unless it's like the most ludicrously well geared witch in the beta or something.

If anything, I like Templars and Shadows the best, but Marauders tend to work the best for life builds. And yes, you can get relatively high DPS on an ele bow ranger that uses life, but it's inferior to the ES variants because of how much more you have to focus on life nodes (thereby giving you less offensive passives). As for the 25k DPS, I know at least 3 people right now - all are CI elemental/crit builds. Flasks are important to that, I believe (would have to double check with them), but they're still easily hitting 15k+ without.

The closest I can get with a life build that has halfway decent survivability is 14k, and that's with flasks up (6.5k without).

Another issue is I like taking Blood Magic when possible, but it's just so far from any realistic damage. :(
Former player moderator, valued poster, and early-adopter responsible for The Blood Dance.

GGG has forgotten where they came from. As a result, I no longer support the deceitful, corporate Tencent slave sellouts running this game.
Last edited by MonopolyLegend on Sep 21, 2012, 8:29:57 AM
"
"
tramshed wrote:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAQEAANTk5gJlKoYHa5TVB4wTLAr8Kq8SIY8jFqmfNhcVF9YX7NacIP7-jikZ4xMphsCPMZNJ9zeXCEQ3xCN_PSq--EcSK3RHPIy5SVDK3VDjAjBTT2zCVgyrrVs8BoxbecGXXVWy5mibpftyleineE0Bun3biS6ECf4phNccEomDkySKhXQ9k4cffpbVBHqY9Yarm29CSpyDYtuh5oQ1ojeodqgveomodrQ9qg4KMKoWdgaqQzF8qkgB86tlVdKysMcxt6LQarnWRGG7r9-gvEfe4MDmWG_Jeg_6ygGufcvVF8_NEqyOzbEgV9E0PdfRSC0o0z_we9SLxKvUth9U1YyD9NYrD7jZbENg3SNReN20fxHfAxXU5K_cDuaQpHDw3Uh080d3GPf0myj6zqWa_KU1FA==

This works pretty damn well.

2h melee physical damage = melee. I know that works well; I'm looking for non-melee, non ES.

So you dont want to attack them directly, or use spells? What class are you going for?, teletubby?

On a more serious note, if you dont devote something to a type of defense and you dont have minions, youll just get destroyed.

EDIT: A thought, albeit an obvious one, play a shadow.
HAIL SATAN!
Last edited by tramshed on Sep 21, 2012, 8:54:44 AM
"
tramshed wrote:
"
"
tramshed wrote:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAQEAANTk5gJlKoYHa5TVB4wTLAr8Kq8SIY8jFqmfNhcVF9YX7NacIP7-jikZ4xMphsCPMZNJ9zeXCEQ3xCN_PSq--EcSK3RHPIy5SVDK3VDjAjBTT2zCVgyrrVs8BoxbecGXXVWy5mibpftyleineE0Bun3biS6ECf4phNccEomDkySKhXQ9k4cffpbVBHqY9Yarm29CSpyDYtuh5oQ1ojeodqgveomodrQ9qg4KMKoWdgaqQzF8qkgB86tlVdKysMcxt6LQarnWRGG7r9-gvEfe4MDmWG_Jeg_6ygGufcvVF8_NEqyOzbEgV9E0PdfRSC0o0z_we9SLxKvUth9U1YyD9NYrD7jZbENg3SNReN20fxHfAxXU5K_cDuaQpHDw3Uh080d3GPf0myj6zqWa_KU1FA==

This works pretty damn well.

2h melee physical damage = melee. I know that works well; I'm looking for non-melee, non ES.

So you dont want to attack them directly, or use spells? What class are you going for?, teletubby?

On a more serious note, if you dont devote something to a type of defense and you dont have minions, youll just get destroyed.

EDIT: A thought, albeit an obvious one, play a shadow.

I played life-based, non-melee builds a few patches ago with great success. They don't work anymore. I'm not sure what you're trying to get at, exactly, but Melee isn't the only offensive option in this game. When I say life based, I'm assuming Armor (and possibly Block) as well. I'd settle for a caster if I had to, but even that's not a viable option for competitive DPS right now if you want any measure of non-ES survivability.

Last edited by MonopolyLegend on Sep 21, 2012, 9:22:09 AM
my bow marauder with blood magic is doing alright (lvl 73). My Meelee duelist 1hand+shield, 56% block and 90%dmg reduction and 80% all res (12k armor) is soloing maps alright at lvl 63, his 1.7k life are not a problem (lightning strike as attack skill). However i agree that some skills are underpowered (anyone been using glacial hammer efficiently?).
So basically you want Marauders to be the only class to play? You want them to have best survivability, best melee and best ranged. Lol.
My marauder blood magic caster is already better then my witch/shadow casters. Yes he will not do as many criticals with frozen pulse but I didn't notice that many of them with my CI cold caster shadow as well. And I can always turn on Righteous fire for massive damage both around him and as a bonus to his spells.

Last edited by Torin on Sep 21, 2012, 10:34:21 AM
"
Torin wrote:
So basically you want Marauders to be the only class to play? You want them to have best survivability, best melee and best ranged. Lol.
My marauder blood magic caster is already better then my witch/shadow casters. Yes he will not do as many criticals with frozen pulse but I didn't notice that many of them with my CI cold caster shadow as well. And I can always turn on Righteous fire for massive damage both around him and as a bonus to his spells.

You're putting words in my mouth. I never said I want Marauders to do anything - I said life based builds. In fact, I'd prefer if Shadow/Templar had these capabilities for a life based build, but generally a Marauder's a better option. Marauder is actually my least favorite base character, in terms of looks.

I also never said I want them to be the best...I do, however, want them to be competitive. As it stands, they don't come near the ES variants unless they go melee with Ground Slam, Heavy Strike, Lightning Strike, etc.

Last edited by MonopolyLegend on Sep 21, 2012, 10:44:03 AM
I think one of the biggest problems is moving Blood Magic to the corner of the tree, rather than center where it used to be. That was when I started having issues doing anything but a melee BM build. There simply is not enough passive variety near the skill now, and it's so isolated from all of the other things (wands, spells, bows, elemental, critical) that there's no variation available. The biggest one right now is Criticals as they are the key to high DPS currently. There are basically no noteworthy critical nodes in that region...stretching across the tree wastes far too many points.

I suppose it would be possible to do a life build in the shadow to templar region, but then you'd have no option for BM or Life Regen, both of which are extremely important to life builds imo. Blood Magic is arguable, but Life Regen is just ridiculously good for life builds. Then there's the issue I brought up before, which is ES based builds can get a much higher healthpool for a far lower cost (in terms of passives). This allows them to spend more offensive passives and generally reach higher DPS.

Anyone else confused about what OP means by "life-based, non-melee"?

Do you mean a ranged combat char (i.e bow user)? As you don't seem to mean a caster.

I do agree the str area of the tree is pretty barren of global crit nodes. The few that do exist are weapon or 1h/2h specific so it's difficult to stack.
IGN: Friar
Knight of Guild Medieval http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/545783
Game Mechanics http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/11707
Recipe Book http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/15223
Quest Reward List http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/36776
My guild hasn't cleared LK on regular yet (new guild, so no pointing and laughing). Before anyone gets invited to the guild, I make sure they are at least 4700GS. Anything less, and I know they haven't put themselves in Triumph badge gear from heroics farming. I don't mind helping guildies gear up in ICC-10, but they'd best be ready for the content. Grind heroics until you're ready, then you get an invite. Simple as that. In my opinion, no amount of skill is going to make up for the lack of gear.

Once guildies have a chance to run with me, I get to see if their GS translates to skill. If not, I have to decide if the player has potential or if it's time to cut losses.
http://www.buygw2golds.com

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info