ES, GS, or GTFO

Who's that? What kind of build? :O
Former player moderator, valued poster, and early-adopter responsible for The Blood Dance.

GGG has forgotten where they came from. As a result, I no longer support the deceitful, corporate Tencent slave sellouts running this game.
Cuchillian. Mara

GS though. But I know he's at least at 10k.

Also know of some ele rangers pushing beyond that as well.
Last edited by SL4Y3R on Sep 29, 2012, 2:03:19 PM
To ML's point, I'm not sure there are many (any?) elemental bow rangers hitting 10k dps without pre patch gear - I may well be wrong, and happy to hear it if so?

Petrov.
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
Cuchillian. Mara

GS though. But I know he's at least at 10k.

Also know of some ele rangers pushing beyond that as well.

My point in the thread is non-GS, non-ES. It's easy enough to break 10k DPS with either of those (not that ES is an offense that directly relates to DPS, but as I have said throughout the thread, all the global damage is up in that area right now), so I'm not quite sure why you've brought up a GS character.

As for ele rangers, I happen to have a few of those. None of them are breaking 6k DPS. I know of several ES variants with almost triple that. And yes, I've tried with 5L, and I have arguably better pre-patch gear (including a Wake of Destruction) that these ES variants do not have.
Former player moderator, valued poster, and early-adopter responsible for The Blood Dance.

GGG has forgotten where they came from. As a result, I no longer support the deceitful, corporate Tencent slave sellouts running this game.
Last edited by MonopolyLegend on Sep 29, 2012, 2:25:10 PM
Forgot about the gear change.

Like I said before, I agree there needs to be more crit nodes in lower left, and more life nodes in top. Otherwise, CI and RT aren't really tradeoffs.
Last edited by SL4Y3R on Sep 29, 2012, 5:44:10 PM
"
"
Malice wrote:
Monopoly, I'm not sure I understand your criteria for the build you're talking about.

From what I can gather your conditions are:

- Must use blood magic keystone (not just support gems)
- Must use bow or wand only. No melee weapons.
- Must have at least 15k dps on tooltip of main skill.

Is this correct? If you specify precisely what it is you're looking for I will try to come up with something, but at the moment I'm not sure what you're getting at. 15k dps as a requirement seems a bit unreasonable though.

Take a read through the thread; BM is preferred but certainly not a necessity, though if it's taken Life Regen is essentially a must. Bow/Wand/Caster/Summoner/Traps/Totems, whatever - anything but melee. I'd be curious to see at least 10k DPS. I said ES variants are currently hitting 15k+ - I'd never expect a life build to get that high, but there's a pretty big gap in-between right now. 10k is close enough that a char like that would still be useful in a party of people with 15k+ (which is currently not the case...no reason for me to party these days). Bow/Wand are preferred, but that's difficult due to high attribute requirements + potential accuracy issues - like I said, there are plenty of alternatives. ;)

I'm not even necessarily looking for a build to play, I just want to know that it's even possible right now and I'm not just building badly all of a sudden. 10 pages with only one build that met the reqs tells me otherwise, and the one build in all of this was just nerfed into line with the others with the Explosive Arrow changes. I know these types of characters -used- to be possible because I -used- to play them/theorize trees for them. They kept up with other characters just fine; this is no longer the case.

Not sure what made you think I didn't read the thread. It's just that your requirements are kind of vague.

So now I'm getting:
- Must not use melee weapon
- Must not use ES (is eldritch battery ok, or does that count as ES?)
- Must do 10k dps

Also I would like to know how you define DPS. If you're just talking about the tooltip number, then that seems a little strange. For instance any type of AoE attack or piercing projectile will only show its single-target damage, when the actual damage output is much higher when hitting a group. Minions don't even show DPS, and there are many other factors that affect your damage output that won't show in a tooltip. Even things like movement speed, every second you are moving is one second not spent doing damage, so something like ice shot might actually let you do more damage over time than burning arrow if it means you have to kite less, even if the tooltip number is lower.
Last edited by Malice on Sep 29, 2012, 5:43:35 PM
It doesn't have to be as clear cut as you're making it out to be. 10k is just a general number and the primary form of defense should be Life (generally with armor, but it's possible to go without that if there's enough life).

The goal is to see if there are life based characters out there who can keep up with the current ES variants. I already know melee builds are capable of this, so I'm looking to see what else is out there. Previously there were all sorts of chars and now there don't seem to be any except the melees. Those that do exist do paltry amounts of damage next to the ES chars running around right now.

As for what made me think you hadn't read, I assume you just skimmed through. I've already said what I'm looking for - I've said it every way imaginable, and it's not quite as rigid as what you're describing.

Possibly relevant, so I'll throw it out there for ya: There are ES characters running around with the higher DPS on their tooltip for their AoE attacks than my life characters on their single target (the highest peaked at 5.5k), not to mention the Freezing Pulse casters (though that's an entirely different set of problems).

EDIT: I might add something else that I haven't made so clear - it's not that I think everyone should have 15k+ DPS and run around one-shotting every monster in sight. In fact, I think the numbers are a little high right now. I just want to see life builds be viable and competitive with ES builds like before. If ES builds were hitting 6k, I wouldn't expect most life builds to break 4k, for example. It's not so much the numbers themselves as it is the gap between them - right now, the gap is enormous.

EDIT: If I had to throw clear cut objectives out for a build, this is is the best I can do:

-Non melee
-Life is the primary form of defense
-Attribute requirements for gear and gems should be met or at least be very close through the tree alone
-81 PT build (level 70 + Oak Rewards)

Last edited by MonopolyLegend on Sep 29, 2012, 6:06:10 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info