Razer Footprints Promotion

All these have the same general shape:

foot·print
ˈfo͝otˌprint/Submit
noun
the impression left by a foot or shoe on the ground or a surface.

The shape of a foot naturally. And then there's this:

Uh... I want to see the foot/boots that left that print. Perhaps that's someone's fancy version of a snowshoe??

If it hadn't been announced I'd have no idea that was a logo for Razor. But it clearly looks out of place with all the rest and doesn't at all look like a footprint effect. Looks more like some arcane spell effect is being cast with each step on the ground. Not the only odd effect perhaps, but the sketchiest of the bunch that naturally has some people worried about what they've supported (I'm not among them) and where you draw the line on things like this. I'm sure many players want to hear from the devs as to where the proverbial line in the sand will be drawn and held towards things of this nature.
Last edited by Doushibag on Sep 1, 2013, 10:50:35 PM
"
I am saddened by the introduction of this blatant in-game advertising. Frankly, not only do the new footprints not fit in with the fame universe, detract from the experience, and spoil the dark foreboding mood, but they are also obvious and blatant product placement in a game that should e better than that. People have responded to similar comments with statements such as "go buy a supporter pack then," but I've been supporting PoE since closed beta, I hold an Exalted pack, and I've spent probably $500 on thi game. If GGG keeps this negative trend up, they can't expect more money from me. Chris, I understand if the company needs funds, but I beg you: please don't put money before realism, profits before aesthetics, or corporations before your true fans.

GGG, I humbly ask that you tweak or remove the Razer footprints, or that you give players the option to disable them. Moreover, I request that you keep the game free of in-game advertising. Please, stay true to who you are as a company. You're better than this.

They are staying true as a company. I don't know why a green symbol, a well done one at that, detracts so much from your enjoyment. And then to go so far as to patronize them and say "you're better than this", well, i feel your crying and begging is humiliating, and you're better than this.

I feel the issue at hand is not so much the detraction from the "mood", which by the way doesn't for many people, its the detraction from my cosmetics I've paid so much money for.
"
urgetopurge wrote:

They are staying true as a company. I don't know why a green symbol, a well done one at that, detracts so much from your enjoyment. And then to go so far as to patronize them and say "you're better than this", well, i feel your crying and begging is humiliating, and you're better than this.

I feel the issue at hand is not so much the detraction from the "mood", which by the way doesn't for many people, its the detraction from my cosmetics I've paid so much money for.

I will address your response step-by-step.

1) "They are staying true as a company." How so? Grinding Gear Games strikes me as a company primarily driven by their consumers, by the playerbase, by individual small contributions from the players. Not as a company influenced by other corporations. In fact, this cosmetic effect is the first time in the history of Path of Exile that GGG has appeared directly influenced by an outside corporation (some of you might cite the inclusion of Twitch streaming as such an instance, but this seems radically different to me.) This cosmetic effect is also the first time in the history of the game that an advertisement has appeared in-game. So, tell me, what part of this strikes you as GGG "staying true as a company"?

2) "I don't know why a green symbol, a well done one at that, detracts so much from your enjoyment." First of all, it's not just "a green symbol" - it's a logo, and it's easily recognizable to the people who play these games. The first time I saw it, I immediately thought "Razer!" Second, how "well done" the graphic appears is totally subjective. Personally, I think it looks awful. You feel it's "well done." Fine. I'm not here to argue about the quality of the image. That misses the point. The point is: whenever I see it, it takes me out of the game world. I feel immediately transported back to the real world, sucked back out by the advertisement. Part of the reason many people play games is to escape. The presence of a logo in a fantasy game really takes away from that. I think that explains why it "detracts from [my] enjoyment." But it's not just about my personal enjoyment. It's about the Razer logo as a symbol for the direction that I hope GGG isn't heading.

3) "And then to go so far as to patronize them and say 'you're better than this', well, i feel your crying and begging is humiliating, and you're better than this." I wasn't trying to patronize the staff at GGG. My intention was to write a heartfelt statement to a company that I care deeply about. I also wasn't crying. And frankly, when you accuse me of "crying" I read your response as insulting; that bit reads as a personal attack, and I honestly struggle to take the rest of what you say seriously given the tone of it. My hope was to convey how I feel to the staff at GGG. The truth is, I do write to them with humility, because I feel strongly and genuinely that they are a wonderful, remarkable company and development studio in an era of awful AAA titles and cash-grabbing by major developers. I see GGG as standing in stark contrast to the modern Blizzard, to EA, to the giants of the industry. That's why the Razer logo inside their game world is so offensive. GGG stands as a beacon of hope in the modern gaming world - of hope for better games, with complex gameplay; of hope for amazing service; of hope for a gaming world with developers less concerned about cash grabs, and deals between companies, and more concerned with quality products and with the enjoyment of their players. The Razer logo inside the very gameworld flies in contrast to these hopes. Accuse me of crying all you want. I will "cry on" if that's what it takes to get my point across. I believe in this company in an era when the major development studios constantly let me down. I believe they really are better than this.

4) "I feel the issue at hand is not so much the detraction from the "mood", which by the way doesn't for many people, its the detraction from my cosmetics I've paid so much money for." Are you accusing me of only caring about my own cosmetics? Listen, I wouldn't care if GGG made the Exalted or the Eternal cosmetics free for everyone. I wouldn't care if they released countless free cosmetics. You really totally fail to understand the way I feel about this. The reason I paid "so much money" is not so I can feel "elite" or "look cool," it's because I love this company. I don't care that people got free cosmetics. I don't feel that the Razer logo somehow detracts from mine, because it looks totally and completely lame anyway. I care that it's a LOGO inside a fantasy world. I care that it's a walking advertisement inside a fantasy world. I care because this is not the direction I thought GGG would ever go. I never could have seen this coming. I never thought GGG would include advertising inside of their game. That's why I care. You totally missed the point.
Supporter since closed beta
"
"
urgetopurge wrote:

1) "They are staying true as a company." How so? Grinding Gear Games strikes me as a company primarily driven by their consumers, by the playerbase, by individual small contributions from the players. Not as a company influenced by other corporations. In fact, this cosmetic effect is the first time in the history of Path of Exile that GGG has appeared directly influenced by an outside corporation (some of you might cite the inclusion of Twitch streaming as such an instance, but this seems radically different to me.) This cosmetic effect is also the first time in the history of the game that an advertisement has appeared in-game. So, tell me, what part of this strikes you as GGG "staying true as a company"?

Forgive me if I choose not to respond to everything - I neither have the time nor will.

I'll respond to the most contentious point which i feel is the first one.

"Grinding Gear Games strikes me as a company primarily driven by their consumers, by the playerbase, by individual small contributions from the players"
Do you honestly feel that this is enough to pay the entire staff for the years they've put into this game? Do you really value your contribution of what 500$ to be THAT significant that these developers can live and, more importantly, enjoy life off of donations and microtransactions? They put in YEARS and countless hours of effort over this game, a concept which most people here do not seem to comprehend or have forgotten over this sadly misguided rage.

They chose to put in ONE cosmetic, JUST ONE, not change the entire background or include posters of razor in game or have obnoxious pop-up ads or banners on this forum or demand that you MUST sign up on razor's website to play this game, but ONE COSMETIC. ONE. And this compels you to feel saddened to the point of quitting??? A company's desire to make some well-deserved money heavy emphasis on well-deserved, has you so disgusted? if you really respect GGG as much as you claim, then you will bear with the excrutiating, mind-melting, PTSD-inducing pain of having to see a razor logo if it means that this company can continue existing *successfully*.

(also I apologize if you felt insulted by my post; i felt equally disgusted by your blind idealism)
Last edited by urgetopurge on Sep 1, 2013, 11:47:36 PM
"

2) "I don't know why a green symbol, a well done one at that, detracts so much from your enjoyment." First of all, it's not just "a green symbol" - it's a logo, and it's easily recognizable to the people who play these games. The first time I saw it, I immediately thought "Razer!" Second, how "well done" the graphic appears is totally subjective. Personally, I think it looks awful. You feel it's "well done." Fine. I'm not here to argue about the quality of the image. That misses the point. The point is: whenever I see it, it takes me out of the game world. I feel immediately transported back to the real world, sucked back out by the advertisement. Part of the reason many people play games is to escape. The presence of a logo in a fantasy game really takes away from that. I think that explains why it "detracts from [my] enjoyment." But it's not just about my personal enjoyment. It's about the Razer logo as a symbol for the direction that I hope GGG isn't heading.

3) "And then to go so far as to patronize them and say 'you're better than this', well, i feel your crying and begging is humiliating, and you're better than this." I wasn't trying to patronize the staff at GGG. My intention was to write a heartfelt statement to a company that I care deeply about. I also wasn't crying. And frankly, when you accuse me of "crying" I read your response as insulting; that bit reads as a personal attack, and I honestly struggle to take the rest of what you say seriously given the tone of it. My hope was to convey how I feel to the staff at GGG. The truth is, I do write to them with humility, because I feel strongly and genuinely that they are a wonderful, remarkable company and development studio in an era of awful AAA titles and cash-grabbing by major developers. I see GGG as standing in stark contrast to the modern Blizzard, to EA, to the giants of the industry. That's why the Razer logo inside their game world is so offensive. GGG stands as a beacon of hope in the modern gaming world - of hope for better games, with complex gameplay; of hope for amazing service; of hope for a gaming world with developers less concerned about cash grabs, and deals between companies, and more concerned with quality products and with the enjoyment of their players. The Razer logo inside the very gameworld flies in contrast to these hopes. Accuse me of crying all you want. I will "cry on" if that's what it takes to get my point across. I believe in this company in an era when the major development studios constantly let me down. I believe they really are better than this.

4) "I feel the issue at hand is not so much the detraction from the "mood", which by the way doesn't for many people, its the detraction from my cosmetics I've paid so much money for." Are you accusing me of only caring about my own cosmetics? Listen, I wouldn't care if GGG made the Exalted or the Eternal cosmetics free for everyone. I wouldn't care if they released countless free cosmetics. You really totally fail to understand the way I feel about this. The reason I paid "so much money" is not so I can feel "elite" or "look cool," it's because I love this company. I don't care that people got free cosmetics. I don't feel that the Razer logo somehow detracts from mine, because it looks totally and completely lame anyway. I care that it's a LOGO inside a fantasy world. I care that it's a walking advertisement inside a fantasy world. I care because this is not the direction I thought GGG would ever go. I never could have seen this coming. I never thought GGG would include advertising inside of their game. That's why I care. You totally missed the point.

very well said and totally agree!!
ign: oberarmklaus
i dont like razor and those footprints look AWFUL. doesnt fit into that game by 1%.
"
t_golgari wrote:
Now: "Cooperations are people, my friend."

Lol, good one.

"
So all Razer did was give GGG some money to design their own footprint effect, and GGG is giveing it to us for the low price of participating in a free trial of a program.

Actually, this gives me an idea. Anybody who wants some cheap advertising, PM me. I have another unique/exile to make, and am willing to sell item space for your advert.

"
vorkasse wrote:
"

Spoiler

very well said and totally agree!!

+1
Актив. Позитив. Креатив.
http://www.vk.com/kozhnik
http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/kozhnik/ - welcome!
Last edited by kozhnik on Sep 4, 2013, 8:57:39 AM
"
urgetopurge wrote:

See the bolded, underlined part? That is why you don't complain. The fact that GGG has provided your ungrateful ass with an amazing game that you don't have to pay a single cent for is why you DON'T criticize them for trying to make a business decision. Let me ask everyone for a moment what other games are 100% free to play and produced and maintained on such a high level other than Dota 2? Don't like it? Go play some flash games OR you can pay 40$ for a blizzard or EA game.

The complaining is just unbelievable. ITS A FOOTPRINT AND A COOL ONE AT THAT. ITS NOT FORCING YOU TO BUY RAZOR PRODUCTS, the only thing that is wrong with it is YOUR perception of the green symbol.

Dude. Why did you insult me? I explicitly said I wouldn't complain because I didn't pay, but I understood the complaints of those who did pay. Re-read my post, please, and tone down the insults next time.
Glad you guys got parthers. However i don like the footprints, seems out of place.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info