Maps for end game isn't enough

This will probably get buried soon if I post it here, but I had, what I believe, is a really good idea for maps, to give players more incentive to play them, without drastically editing the current system.

I think we should take a page out of Realm of the Mad God's book: add a currency drop bonus to clearing a map.

The way this could be implemented is by adding an inherent bonus to each map of a currency drop reward. Have it say something like "Base Reward: X Orbs" with some level of variance, perhaps from like 2 - 5 orbs. Allow this number to modifiable by Blessed Orbs (because it's an inherent bonus) as well as by Map Quantity and Player Quantity. Have the values for what orbs drop be skewed according to the level of the map, such as mostly alteration, jeweler's, and alchemy orbs on lower level maps, but higher level maps have a much greater chance of dropping exalted and divine orbs.

This would alleviate the concern that entering a map is not worth the effort, because players would have a definite goal for entering, outside of just receiving maps. High level players would not have such a problem with running low-level maps then, either, as there is still a currency reward drop at the end.
Alteration Orb Union Local #7
I'll smash your nose with 20 Alterations before I'll sell them for 1 lousy Chaos. 16:1. No questions.
"
Shippal wrote:
This will probably get buried soon if I post it here, but I had, what I believe, is a really good idea for maps, to give players more incentive to play them, without drastically editing the current system.

I think we should take a page out of Realm of the Mad God's book: add a currency drop bonus to clearing a map.

The way this could be implemented is by adding an inherent bonus to each map of a currency drop reward. Have it say something like "Base Reward: X Orbs" with some level of variance, perhaps from like 2 - 5 orbs. Allow this number to modifiable by Blessed Orbs (because it's an inherent bonus) as well as by Map Quantity and Player Quantity. Have the values for what orbs drop be skewed according to the level of the map, such as mostly alteration, jeweler's, and alchemy orbs on lower level maps, but higher level maps have a much greater chance of dropping exalted and divine orbs.

This would alleviate the concern that entering a map is not worth the effort, because players would have a definite goal for entering, outside of just receiving maps. High level players would not have such a problem with running low-level maps then, either, as there is still a currency reward drop at the end.
"
Chris wrote:
What game have you guys played that had a great end-game? Please disregard any super content-heavy ones like MMORPGs that cost two hundred million dollars to make.

Edit: I'm not asking this rhetorically - I am interested in actually getting names of games to research.

Sorry to make this name, but Lineage II (wich I don't think that costed so much at start);
While having a similar characher system with PoE(equip nonrace/class restriction, classes no race-sex restriction etc) but obviously sighly worst, it had a great endgame based off;
1 PVP
2 Castels to dominate places and their resources(and the castels siege, more pvp)
3 Epic raid bosses( wich people fought fore, even more pvp)
Basically all the endgame was based on PVP, so the game becoems alot politic-economic, with 2-3 major guilds having the command of the server, telling minor guild what to do(like NATO vs URSS), and fighting for key objectives like important bosses, castels, exp spots etc.

Basically, political-economic end game of pvp.

Now is bullshit so don't consider the lineage II of now, but the one till Interlude.

P.s.: I also really like the "Wanted" Syste, like "kill this monster in this area", wich with the map System could be really cool(You need to drop and roll the right map to face him! :D nothing particular, like X map with 1 roll, like burning terrain etc..., and the most difficult[and with more reward] ones, have a higher difficult ratio to roll(specific map + 3-4-5 specific rolls)
Last edited by kadrek91 on Sep 17, 2012, 11:58:47 AM
"
kadrek91 wrote:
"
Chris wrote:
What game have you guys played that had a great end-game? Please disregard any super content-heavy ones like MMORPGs that cost two hundred million dollars to make.

Edit: I'm not asking this rhetorically - I am interested in actually getting names of games to research.

Sorry to make this name, but Lineage II (wich I don't think that costed so much at start);
While having a similar characher system with PoE(equip nonrace/class restriction, classes no race-sex restriction etc) but obviously sighly worst, it had a great endgame based off;
1 PVP
2 Castels to dominate places and their resources(and the castels siege, more pvp)
3 Epic raid bosses( wich people fought fore, even more pvp)
Basically all the endgame was based on PVP, so the game becoems alot politic-economic, with 2-3 major guilds having the command of the server, telling minor guild what to do(like NATO vs URSS), and fighting for key objectives like important bosses, castels, exp spots etc.

Basically, political-economic end game of pvp.

Now is bullshit so don't consider the lineage II of now, but the one till Interlude.

P.s.: I also really like the "Wanted" Syste, like "kill this monster in this area", wich with the map System could be really cool(You need to drop and roll the right map to face him! :D nothing particular, like X map with 1 roll, like burning terrain etc..., and the most difficult[and with more reward] ones, have a higher difficult ratio to roll(specific map + 3-4-5 specific rolls)

I dont think this is even remotely feasible as this is more of an ARPG than an MMOG.
"
Chris wrote:

Disgaea.

Obsurdly overpowered static maps that require ridiculous amounts of minmaxing (or teamwork and minmaxing in PoE's case) to defeat.

Randomly Generated Difficult and Long Maps Generated Via Items and Their Properties(a more extreme implementation of what you've done with maps)

Reincarnation as a form of endgame progression.
IGN: ShockinglyCute
Dragon Quest 9.

Interestingly enough, the endgame was... maps. However there were both static and random maps, and you'd always get a map from a map. You'd also usually get harder maps from a map.

Finally, you did not consume a map when you used it.
FFA loot = single player game.

"I'm sorry I steal all the things, it's the only way I know how to say I love you." - a FFA looter.
Maybe they can let maps have an itemlevel that is -1 of their own area, so that every monster in a level 60 map can drop you a new map of 61?

And I wish, we had an orb to once "reroll" a map itself - turning it (randomly, of course) into another map (of the same level, or maybe with a small chance of a +1)
invited by timer @ 10.12.2011
--
deutsche Community: www.exiled.eu & ts.exiled.eu
"
"
Chris wrote:

Disgaea.

Obsurdly overpowered static maps that require ridiculous amounts of minmaxing (or teamwork and minmaxing in PoE's case) to defeat.

Randomly Generated Difficult and Long Maps Generated Via Items and Their Properties(a more extreme implementation of what you've done with maps)

Reincarnation as a form of endgame progression.

I like this.
"
rflynn74 wrote:

I dont think this is even remotely feasible as this is more of an ARPG than an MMOG.

Naw, MMOG these days are more MMO-ARPG and PoE is MO-ARPG. The difference between the game is "Mass".

I believe strategic PvP is the way to go, as it gives you PvP, social aspect, reason for itemization and etc. But the difficulty is how to apply strategic PvP from Mass Multi-online to Multi-online.

Meanwhile, other successful element is item collection with crafting. This game has the a small portion of this feature with currency item crafting out better sockets, although the database size is small, but people are liking these things.
"
Chris wrote:

Knight Online

While it was an MMO per se, you guys probably spent more developing this.

Castle Sieges
PVP only maps with special boss spawns
And a PVP point system to track enemie kills.

Sure hope all of that is being considered, maybe minus the siege part since there aren't factions in this game.
Invasion - No Sacrifice No Glory

HTTP://WWW.TWITCH.TV/THISISDEUX

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info