[OSX] Unofficial Path of Exile port - 30/12/2018 status update

"
Bjarmfark wrote:
very strange: I'm running Mavericks and I had 5GB RAM unused. I start the game and play and notices casual spike lags. When I closed PoE and checked the RAM usage I saw that the ram was still 5GB unused BUT that mavericks for some retarded reason have compressed RAM and created a switch file when I think 5GB RAM should be more than enough to support the gameplay. Om my older pc I only had 2GB RAM available for usage and it played PoE without creating switch files...

It seems that the way Mavericks handles RAM is completely the opposite how RAM should be managed in a GAME. Do I need to run windows to play or is there a way to configure Mavericks?

Were you using AppNap?

I have playable fps with 4.0.3 and PoE 1.0.5. 2008 Mac Pro octocore running Mavericks.

"
krifFinn wrote:
"
julus wrote:
so 4.0.3 is ok, and 4.1.2 is still broken... good to know... too bad I don't have working apple computer, I would look on that more closely what is making the difference ...

Well I wouldn't say it's broken. 4.1.2. works on my 2007 iMac...just. I mean, the game loads alright, it doesn't crash, but I can't really talk about performance. Frame rate is somewhat steady at 15-20 but drops down with Domination Shrines for example. Lag spikes are less severe than before though.

What version of OS X does your iMac have?
"
atgm613 wrote:
*snip*

What version of OS X does your iMac have?

I'm using 10.9.1.
^
^
Should I use App Nap to improve performance? It feels like my mac does not dump unused RAM from PoE and just keep more and more of it and compressing it and filing it... I know the specs are adequate since PoE runs at very high resolution and settings with 60+ fps . Problem is that RAM is being compressed real time resulting in lag spikes. I have osx 10.9.1
"
Bjarmfark wrote:

Should I use App Nap to improve performance? It feels like my mac does not dump unused RAM from PoE and just keep more and more of it and compressing it and filing it... I know the specs are adequate since PoE runs at very high resolution and settings with 60+ fps . Problem is that RAM is being compressed real time resulting in lag spikes. I have osx 10.9.1

Speaking for myself, I have more consistent playable performance WITHOUT AppNap than I do with it.

I shouldn't be having RAM problems at all since I have 16 GB...

My gut feeling is to say that there's something weird going on in the wrapper/WINE since there's such inconsistent performance for different people. If there's some kind of detailed logging everyone could enable to forward logs to Julus, maybe that would help.

Also, I'm a bit unclear on the problems people are having and whether we're all talking about the same problems, so:

lag: This is when you have a high ping -- higher than you would normally have. I normally have a 150-200 ms ping when I play on Windows or Mac. This never really changes.

fps: Frames per second; a low FPS makes everything slow down or appear jerky. Spikes make things zoom around.

desync: This is when you have a lowish ping and okay fps but things are not where they appear to be.

People keep talking about lag problems with the wrapper, but I've never seen any on any versions, personally...
"
atgm613 wrote:
"
Bjarmfark wrote:

Speaking for myself, I have more consistent playable performance WITHOUT AppNap than I do with it.

I shouldn't be having RAM problems at all since I have 16 GB...

My gut feeling is to say that there's something weird going on in the wrapper/WINE since there's such inconsistent performance for different people. If there's some kind of detailed logging everyone could enable to forward logs to Julus, maybe that would help.

Also, I'm a bit unclear on the problems people are having and whether we're all talking about the same problems, so:

lag: This is when you have a high ping -- higher than you would normally have. I normally have a 150-200 ms ping when I play on Windows or Mac. This never really changes.

fps: Frames per second; a low FPS makes everything slow down or appear jerky. Spikes make things zoom around.

desync: This is when you have a lowish ping and okay fps but things are not where they appear to be.

People keep talking about lag problems with the wrapper, but I've never seen any on any versions, personally...

they are talking about graphic lag - spikes, because it behaves like lag (e.g. you begin to cast, game begin to load skill effect, freezes for little, and skip to results without proper animation)
Last edited by julus on Jan 12, 2014, 7:16:26 PM
^yes fps spikes. I have read around the internet about Mavericks and fps spikes. In general it seams that games that did play well in earlier versions of OSX noticed huge negative performance feedbacks when they updated to mavericks.

The specs these ppl and myself:
Macbook pro quad core 2.0GHz, 2 threads per core (in effect 8 threads in total).
8GB RAM
iris pro graphics and/or not some kind of discrete card.

I run the iris pro only version.

I know the problem is not about the specs since PoE can run for long times with steady 60+fps with high resolution settings.

Games like wow that support Mac have the same problems like ppl explain in this thread >fps spikes. Some have come to the same conclusion as me that code from the active game can become INACTIVE (in the eyes of app nap and/or the compressor) and therefore subject of the built in ram compressor. This real time compression of game data may cause very small spikes (barely noticable) its when the game need the data that is compressed there is a prolem. So the game needs to wait for it to uncompress which causes the spike in fps.

I don't know if or how app nap works together with the compressor but as a program or data is being inactive it will get slowed down for energy purposes. Perhaps the same criteria for the compressor?

ingame example:
Lets say that you kill Piety, the first time her animations are fresh in the ram and no spikes occur. If you wait too long her object data is inactive and therefore compressed. So next time you meet her and every time she changes shape you will get spikes in fps since that object is being real time decompressed.

What everyone should test is to run the game with app nap off. I have not tested it yet.
Last edited by Bjarmfark on Jan 13, 2014, 3:51:44 AM
"
Bjarmfark wrote:
^yes fps spikes. I have read around the internet about Mavericks and fps spikes. In general it seams that games that did play well in earlier versions of OSX noticed huge negative performance feedbacks when they updated to mavericks.

The specs these ppl and myself:
Macbook pro quad core 2.0GHz, 2 threads per core (in effect 8 threads in total).
8GB RAM
iris pro graphics and/or not some kind of discrete card.

I run the iris pro only version.

I know the problem is not about the specs since PoE can run for long times with steady 60+fps with high resolution settings.

Games like wow that support Mac have the same problems like ppl explain in this thread >fps spikes. Some have come to the same conclusion as me that code from the active game can become INACTIVE (in the eyes of app nap and/or the compressor) and therefore subject of the built in ram compressor. This real time compression of game data may cause very small spikes (barely noticable) its when the game need the data that is compressed there is a prolem. So the game needs to wait for it to uncompress which causes the spike in fps.

I don't know if or how app nap works together with the compressor but as a program or data is being inactive it will get slowed down for energy purposes. Perhaps the same criteria for the compressor?

ingame example:
Lets say that you kill Piety, the first time her animations are fresh in the ram and no spikes occur. If you wait too long her object data is inactive and therefore compressed. So next time you meet her and every time she changes shape you will get spikes in fps since that object is being real time decompressed.

What everyone should test is to run the game with app nap off. I have not tested it yet.

This problem is also present on Mountain Lion as well, the bottleneck then was some GL function and inactivity and of course mmap...
old picture of profiled lag
This may not apply to OSX, but on linux POE has suffered performance drops in the last few patches compared to before. I used to be able to party while using wine and still hold a solid 40fps, now I get less than that solo.
HAIL SATAN!
Hi,
I'm running a mac OS X 10.5.8. I tried all the wrappers and none have worked. Is my mac just too old and outdated? I attempted to create my own wrapper, but had issues.

Thanks in advance.
"
tramshed wrote:
This may not apply to OSX, but on linux POE has suffered performance drops in the last few patches compared to before. I used to be able to party while using wine and still hold a solid 40fps, now I get less than that solo.

That is interesting because I have to personally observed that since some patches ago performance on PoE just went for the worse every patch. What was making me not understand the core issue was that I tested PoE maxed out on my brothers gaming pc and it completely ate PoE like a little snack. I'm starting to be more and more suspicious that PoE is far from optimized since that said patch. Ofcourse there are system related problems as well but the thesis fits in because you can circumvent bad and inefficient programming by brute force (my brothers gaming pc).

I have experienced this issue on my old pc as well: it was playing poe very good actually until one specific patch. I wonder if there is something with the way PoE handles objects?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info