[OSX] Unofficial Path of Exile port - 30/12/2018 status update

"
Zdashawell wrote:
Hi,
I'm running a mac OS X 10.5.8. I tried all the wrappers and none have worked. Is my mac just too old and outdated? I attempted to create my own wrapper, but had issues.

Thanks in advance.

It won't run on 1.5.X, 1.6.8+ is needed (if you have old PowerMac, then it won't run at all.)
"
julus wrote:
"
Zdashawell wrote:
Hi,
I'm running a mac OS X 10.5.8. I tried all the wrappers and none have worked. Is my mac just too old and outdated? I attempted to create my own wrapper, but had issues.

Thanks in advance.

It won't run on 1.5.X, 1.6.8+ is needed (if you have old PowerMac, then it won't run at all.)

Damn. I really wanted to play. Thank you for the reply.
"
Bjarmfark wrote:
"
tramshed wrote:
This may not apply to OSX, but on linux POE has suffered performance drops in the last few patches compared to before. I used to be able to party while using wine and still hold a solid 40fps, now I get less than that solo.

That is interesting because I have to personally observed that since some patches ago performance on PoE just went for the worse every patch. What was making me not understand the core issue was that I tested PoE maxed out on my brothers gaming pc and it completely ate PoE like a little snack. I'm starting to be more and more suspicious that PoE is far from optimized since that said patch. Ofcourse there are system related problems as well but the thesis fits in because you can circumvent bad and inefficient programming by brute force (my brothers gaming pc).

I have experienced this issue on my old pc as well: it was playing poe very good actually until one specific patch. I wonder if there is something with the way PoE handles objects?

This is weird, because PoE ran like crap for me until 1.0.5. Now it runs at a steady 30ish fps with no spikes with wrapper 4.0.3. It runs absolutely terribly (steady 3-4 fps) in the 4.1.2 wrapper.
Last edited by atgm613 on Jan 14, 2014, 6:35:11 PM
^agreed. Its very hard to wrap your head around this problem when its not consistent.

i tried to inactivate app nap and the game did run with less fps spikes (and with steady 100+ fps I might add) but it did freeze my computer... I will be installing windows 7 since I can then exclude the wrapper as a potential problem maker if it too runs like shit which it should not since game is "optimized" for windows. There is no reason why poe should not run perfectly with 8gb ram and quad core and graphics that was rated twice as fast as my old pc (which at a point could run poe flawlessly). The result will be interesting, but this has to wait until my exam period is over which is january 18'th.
Last edited by Bjarmfark on Jan 16, 2014, 6:47:35 AM
Hi everyone, I have 2011 Macbookpro
Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5/
Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3/
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)
Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB graphics

I am currently playing V4.03 and FPS drops/spikes are killing my experience. I am already playing on lowest graphic settings in-game (no shadows, trillinear filtering, etc) Sometimes FPS will remain steady ~20-30 but too often it drops to 0-2 and I end up getting killed. I have also tried to change texture filtering and texture quality to 4 and still, FPS drops to under 2 all the time. I can't fght Piety without my character/game freeze for a whole minute and sometimes even lagging me out of the game.

Can someone offer any advice or explanation? Is there no cure because my MBP is just too crappy?
"
mingxli93 wrote:
Hi everyone, I have 2011 Macbookpro
Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5/
Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3/
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)
Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB graphics

I am currently playing V4.03 and FPS drops/spikes are killing my experience. I am already playing on lowest graphic settings in-game (no shadows, trillinear filtering, etc) Sometimes FPS will remain steady ~20-30 but too often it drops to 0-2 and I end up getting killed. I have also tried to change texture filtering and texture quality to 4 and still, FPS drops to under 2 all the time. I can't fght Piety without my character/game freeze for a whole minute and sometimes even lagging me out of the game.

Can someone offer any advice or explanation? Is there no cure because my MBP is just too crappy?

To answer your question yes. The wrapper (wine skin) will under no circumstances run a windows program nearly as good as windows can do it (terminology is usually native speed).

Your specs are very similar to my old pc that used to play PoE very well so heres your only chance: Install windows 7 in a partition on your computer to reach the native speed and your computer will most probably be able to play PoE without fps drops. Your hardware can't really pull the weight of PoE and the wrapper. Specially since I assume that you got HDD not SSD. The wrapper is very inefficient at getting data from drive to RAM and this is why fps drops when new shit enters the screen.

In contrast to my 15' quadcore SSD retina. Still feel the effects of not running at native speed and I got Mavericks related issues to factor in as well. What I have to do to run PoE at a steady 60+ fps with high resolution is to first clean start the computer (this starts only the necessary processes): this way mavericks built in compressor will not have anything to compress during gameplay. I have to deactivate app nap so shit in poe won't get inactive. I start the game and have to take the fps drops until my RAM is filled with all objects in the game, then and only then can I play with zero fps drops. If there was a way to load all objects at the start into the ram I'd be good to go from the start... Or I can too partition to windows 7 but that has not been easy to do at fucking all... At this point it seems easier to find a way to load objects into ram from the beginning.

When i download the launcher from the link above, and then click to launch it come up with a message saying.

"path of exile" is damaged and can't be opened. You should eject the disk image.

then 2 options "cancel or eject disk image"

i have tried all of the other links too and it doesn't help, what should i do?
"
Dionj20 wrote:
When i download the launcher from the link above, and then click to launch it come up with a message saying.

"path of exile" is damaged and can't be opened. You should eject the disk image.

then 2 options "cancel or eject disk image"

i have tried all of the other links too and it doesn't help, what should i do?

Move it out of the Disk iMaGe file before running...
Hey guys just downloaded this and want to say thank you in advance for any help. I got to level 2 and to the first city but every time I go to the beach to the right of the city my game crashes. This happened 3 times and now after that i can't play the game at all. I log on and right as it finishes loading I am put in the city. Right as the game loads It just freezes. I cant click anything and am just forced to force quit the game. Looking for any advice.

Move it out of the Disk iMaGe file before running...[/quote]

It does the exact same thing :L

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info