[OSX] Unofficial Path of Exile port - 30/12/2018 status update

I was the one with the crashing problem earlier, it seemed to fix itself on my new character until I got to piety. I crash every time on piety on any character on normal. Its impossible for me to get to endgame like this :( I think it may be wine messing up... if that helps at all..

Edit: my friend is going to log on to my account and try to beat piety, and hes playing on windows, ill tell you if its just piety after he deos that in a few hours
Last edited by Dusseldork on Jan 9, 2014, 1:18:15 PM
Strange. I get the error 3D devices something and have done as recommended to combat this (went into the config file and changes the settings). Yet the same message appear...

I got the late 2013 15' macbook retina only with iris pro graphics. Any ideas?
So no way to play with Radeon card, right?
^yes. But I fixed the problem :) I wrote something wrong in the config doc so not strange it crashed.

The game runs very well in high settings with 60+ fps (crazy since I got no dedicated gpu). Except for loading objects in game real time. For example, if I cast a totem the first time it results in a spike in the fps history. Its not a big deal since it should not happen more ever until I restart the game, but here comes the problem: I run mavericks which is designed to manage RAM memory very dynamically, in contrast to windows that keeps RAM until you close the program Mavericks on the other hand tries to keep a few hundreds of Mb RAM under maximum. When active RAM supercedes the maximum it compresses it and if thats not enough it will put it in a switch file. Mavericks also determines if something that holds up RAM is active or not and may dump it go give place to something else.

All in all, I cast a totem (for example) and it spikes in the fps history. I can cast it several times during gameplay and get zero spikes. But then again it must load the object into the game yet again because Mavericks has done something with it. Does anyone know of a way to force Mavericks to prioritize PoE entirely? Will it help if I use the RAM clearing app before playing?
Last edited by Bjarmfark on Jan 9, 2014, 6:00:03 PM
I've had absolutely no framerate problem since 1.0.5 dropped and I have no clue why.

Using the 4.0.3 wrapper, AppNap turned off, PoE 1.0.5, I run at a steady 30-40 fps on high settings -- even when fighting Dominus.
"
atgm613 wrote:
I've had absolutely no framerate problem since 1.0.5 dropped and I have no clue why.

Using the 4.0.3 wrapper, AppNap turned off, PoE 1.0.5, I run at a steady 30-40 fps on high settings -- even when fighting Dominus.

Maybe they finally began optimizing? Would be good sign if oneone else can confirm this.
I would love for someone else to confirm it... but there was nothing in the changelog about it.

And now I'm terrified that 1.0.6 or 1.1.0 will re-break it for me.

Edit: Tested in the 4.1.2 wrapper and it hasn't improved there at all -- still 3-5 fps.
Last edited by atgm613 on Jan 10, 2014, 4:07:56 AM
"
atgm613 wrote:
I would love for someone else to confirm it... but there was nothing in the changelog about it.

And now I'm terrified that 1.0.6 or 1.1.0 will re-break it for me.

Edit: Tested in the 4.1.2 wrapper and it hasn't improved there at all -- still 3-5 fps.

so 4.0.3 is ok, and 4.1.2 is still broken... good to know... too bad I don't have working apple computer, I would look on that more closely what is making the difference ...
"
julus wrote:
so 4.0.3 is ok, and 4.1.2 is still broken... good to know... too bad I don't have working apple computer, I would look on that more closely what is making the difference ...

Well I wouldn't say it's broken. 4.1.2. works on my 2007 iMac...just. I mean, the game loads alright, it doesn't crash, but I can't really talk about performance. Frame rate is somewhat steady at 15-20 but drops down with Domination Shrines for example. Lag spikes are less severe than before though.

I might try other wrapper versions later for proper comparison, but honestly, Bootcamp is better for me. Still, the game does crash and lag in Windows, too.

And I still get that rather annoying issue at game start, that is when I click PoE.app to open, the launcher just tries to open multiple windows and complains "Error. Unable to run Content.ggpk because you might have another version of the file already running" or something like that. This has occured ever since Mavericks came along. I can run the game just fine with Test Run, however.
very strange: I'm running Mavericks and I had 5GB RAM unused. I start the game and play and notices casual spike lags. When I closed PoE and checked the RAM usage I saw that the ram was still 5GB unused BUT that mavericks for some retarded reason have compressed RAM and created a switch file when I think 5GB RAM should be more than enough to support the gameplay. Om my older pc I only had 2GB RAM available for usage and it played PoE without creating switch files...

It seems that the way Mavericks handles RAM is completely the opposite how RAM should be managed in a GAME. Do I need to run windows to play or is there a way to configure Mavericks?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info