Game is too easy to me and others.

"
Bones40 wrote:

And yet I still found merciless to be quite easy for the most part. I've died quite a few times, but a lot of those were from fighting bosses for the first time, not knowing what gear/resists/tactics to use. I don't have a problem with most boss encounters, there'll all fairly well done with the exception of the fella on the beach. It's the mob packs that, for the most part, feel a bit easy.

I don't know, I just expected that to get through merciless I would need to farm a bit, grind a bit, trade a bit...I didn't need to do that at all.

I think the suggestion of increasing mob speed rating and ability to attack a moving target would go a long way to making it feel more dangerous without just slapping insane damage and hp numbers on them. In fact, Terraces was maybe the most fun area of the game for me because of the speed of the mob packs and the sheer numbers in each mob pack. The forest at the beginning of act 2 with those monkeys too. Alira's suicide bomber mobs.

Am I the only one that feels those areas feel more dangerous and are more fun?

edit: By the way, I'm not complaining, necessarily, about the difficulty being easy. I was just supporting the OP in thinking that something is off because normal felt more dangerous than merciless.

I'm not putting you down, it's just that the "difficulty" has various definitions. You say you died multiple times for instance, if dying isn't an evidence of failure, what is?

Personally, I have only been playing hardcore recently, so a death means I failed and I need to start over since I'm uninterested in playing in normal league. In this case dying quite a few times isn't even an option, and fully avoiding death is challenging.

I've been in some pretty dangerous situations recently, and I've felt some pretty scary situations where I get frozen and I don't have charges on my remove freeze flask, and there's a lot of damage coming my way.

I end up grinding a fair bit as well, to make sure my gear is up to date because I don't want to die, but again, that's a hardcore restriction. In normal, well, you die, but you just keep going.

I'm not sure what to do to make it "harder" if surviving multiple deaths doesn't impact you. You can't make a monster really hard to kill since you can just die and do it again. You can't take great steps to prevent someone from doing that either, because some of those things (like changing portal mechanics) would have a pretty drastic impact on hardcore players as well.

You have access to a harder difficulty, and that's hardcore, and as well as being a separate league, there's also things like the hardcore race which rewards you for your ability to survive in hardcore.

I've always felt normal is more like a training grounds, where you can test things out and maybe fail but it's no big deal. But that the real game where there's real risk, and occasionally rewards, comes from playing in hardcore, and more specifically the tournament leagues.
Last edited by zeidrich on Aug 1, 2012, 3:48:19 PM
"
zeidrich wrote:
What sort of things would you like to see that would make it harder?

How easy or hard the game is is a difficult call to make. Diablo 3 makes the game "hard" by putting players in situations where they die almost unavoidably, and by scaling monster damage up to insane values. This makes a lot of the game to me less fun because it relies on you simply avoiding damage and makes a lot of builds that expect to to be up close and personal a lot less viable.

Likewise, there are things you can do in D3 to mitigate the difficulty, such as getting the right skills and getting enough Life on Hit so that as a barbarian for instance you can just whirlwind through everything and keep yourself afloat. This is detrimental to the diversity of builds though, and doesn't really add "challenge" except for the challenge of getting that gear and using the right build.

PoE doesn't use the system of "Make things extremely threatening to players who max defense" because if they did, the game would force you to max defense to even stand a chance, and you'd lose a lot of potential builds. However, that means that if you stack defenses, you get a lot of buffer and have a difficult time dying. You also kill considerably slower than someone who does otherwise.

One of the difficulties I enjoy about that system is that you can tailor the difficulty to your own preference. You can drop some life nodes as you find the game is too easy and work back towards damage nodes for faster killing. Eventually you start working on some of the maps with some of the more challenging mods, and eventually the defenses that were good enough before are starting to be challenged.

I much prefer that to a system where the regular content is designed to easily kill someone who has built their templar with as much armor/life/life regen as they can muster. Because if that is the case, then it will totally ruin anyone who tries to make a somewhat offensive build.

You basically chose "easy" difficulty when you decided on that build, and then complained the game was too easy.

did you read what I posted?

Here it is

"
robman_rob wrote:
my point is that normal is harder for a new char than the difficulties following normal. (except for a2 merciless boss)
also I am not the only one noticing this,

take for example this thread:

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/32488
How many times have you played through normal? If you did it again would you die as many times?

If not, what you are really saying is more this: Learning curve for new players makes Normal difficulty significantly harder than later difficulties, so you are surprised at their lack of challenge when you play the later difficulties for the first time.

If you have played through normal several times, and always find it much harder than later acts, on all characters, what you are saying is "Normal difficulty is harder due to lack of gear/skill ability/health compared to later levels, so a rebalancing of health boosts or monster damage in the later difficulties should be considered in addition to the experience cost of dying".

The difficulty with redressing difficulty at later levels is that if death is all but assured without extreme caution, HC servers would become no fun.

Also with random gear drops on top of differing character builds it's almost impossible to ensure linear difficulty progression - some builds will have an easier time not dying and moving through the content, especially if random gear drops at a level that makes them more survivable in the following sections.

Given you have options for making the game more difficult (Hardcore mode) my questions is probably more whether you are expecting significantly different level content on the harder difficulties. As most of the challenging content comes from randomly assigned magic/rare mob attributes whether or not you get that 'Holy crap this is tougher' feeling is going to be in part be random as well depending on what mobs you face.

Given you've already had the learning curve of how the areas play on Normal, there are greater limits to what the higher difficulties can do to penalize you, the greatest of this is experience loss.
"
robman_rob wrote:

did you read what I posted?

Here it is

"
robman_rob wrote:
my point is that normal is harder for a new char than the difficulties following normal. (except for a2 merciless boss)

I play dungeon crawl stone soup from time to time. It's a roguelike, which as a genre showcases permanent death.

One of the defining characteristics of that genre is that the game is typically far more likely to kill you early on than late. Late game you die because you make critical mistakes due to inattention, or have made a bunch of poor decisions over a long period of time.

Early on however, the game is "allowed" to be more swingy because players are less averse to risk when they've invested less than an hour into their character.

The fact that PoE doesn't get considerably harder is a somewhat necessary to those who play hardcore, because when playing hardcore, the stakes get higher the longer you play, and so the pressure stays high. Even if normal is easier, by merciless the stakes are so much higher that even a potential near miss can be scary. Just getting frozen when you know that you forgot to be prepared for it, even if nothing follows up and leads to you don't end up dropping to low health, it can be nerve wracking because there's the potential for loss.

In hardcore, just getting hit for 30% of your health is a bit of a scary experience, even if there's a cooldown on the attack or it's a lucky string of hits that isn't likely going to kill you, it's going to make you think twice about getting hit. In normal, you might as well just ride it through, and if you die you die.

Maybe statistically you are less likely to actually die in merciless as normal because those spikes are rare. You find that out easily enough, but as a hardcore player you get scared just taking that risk.
It can be a bit easy depending on your gear + build. It also depends heavily on which zones you are playing. If you are level 44 in a level 40 zone, it should be easy.

The difficulty ramps up when you get to maps. Yellow maps of your level are going to be difficult. Post a video ofyou in a yellow map equal to your level with you dominating and I will concede "too easy".
" ... to let them know the game isn’t going to be very fair from here on out."
- Qarl
I believe I heard Kripp say at one point that he thought normal was harder than cruel.

I'm pretty sure it's because in normal, first starting out, you have nothing, and by the time you hit cruel you have many resources at your disposal and the difficulty doesn't ramp higher than the average resources you got throughout normal.
If you have account problems please [url="http://www.pathofexile.com/support"]Email Support[/url]
I've said it a few times in this thread, but I'm not necessarily saying the difficulty is too easy.

I'm specifically addressing that normal feels harder than later difficulties.

I admit there's a learning curve at play here. But I've played numerous characters through normal to test builds and the main thing that affected how hard it seemed, was how much twink gear I had for the build I was trying.

I'm not demanding change, or even suggesting really, I'm just supporting the OP and saying, "yeah, normal does seem more difficult than merciless, as a whole".

Last edited by Bones40 on Aug 1, 2012, 5:21:04 PM
Stop advicing OP to play in HC. HC offers nothing any different mechanics in terms of difficulty than Default League, and you know this !

What it only gives you not to die at all costs, and play very carefully.

You could continue playing on default league if you die, i wouldn't even call it as "hardcore" as it must had been, but that's different story.

Most importantly when "Nerf this ! Nerf that !" whinny threads are created no one gets surprised but very few persons only. On the other hand some people could even think that OP may be a troll or a worse one, as happened in this topic. Why is that big difference ? Why one could not state his/her opinion regarding game was easy, just because some could not manage to overcome ?

It is a known fact that difficulty levels are not true and are totally out of place and don't imply their names as they should be.

For these reasons i concur with OP.
"This is too good for you, very powerful ! You want - You take"
Last edited by BrecMadak on Aug 1, 2012, 5:36:06 PM
I sort of agree on this

I didn't get the "omg the difficulty just JUMPED" feeling when i go to a new mode that I hoped for

when I mode up

I want to get my ass kicked until I learn my fucking lesson

i mean come on

its a whole MODE
When I heard about cutthroat league I had a vision of a place, and in that place I saw a man, and in that man I saw my sword, and in my inventory I saw his loot

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info