why PoE is dying

"
xPiranha wrote:
Damn D4 forums has just as much whiners as here lol. That was interesting.

Welcome to the internet. Every forum has their...hrmmm...interesting personalities?

Oh and I love when a few share an account name across games, and you see them on D4 or Destiny2, LE, Reddit, ect...

The thing is that negativity sells and brings eyes (in all media). Say something positive, not much happens. Say something negative, and shit gets real. Get a few more people on the negative train, and drama ensues. Get even more on different social media platforms and you have a controversy. Make it as far as a mainstream media topic and somebody gets cancelled lol.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
Of course some people are "enjoying" PoE to a degree. That wasn't the question. The question is, if we both agree PoE really isn't designed for casual / average players like D4 is, then doesn't it stand to reason those players will find more "enjoyment" in a game more focused on what they would be looking for? Seems logical to me. But feel free to dismiss that thought. It doesn't matter now, the results will speak for themselves.

I'll be the first to agree that 'most' casual players will probably find more enjoyment in D4 than PoE. I wasn't aware that we were talking about that, and don't see how that's relevant to the discussion we were having. Unless, of course, you actually think this applies to everyone in the world. I wasn't talking about D4 at all. I was talking about PoE.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
Phrazz wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
Of course some people are "enjoying" PoE to a degree. That wasn't the question. The question is, if we both agree PoE really isn't designed for casual / average players like D4 is, then doesn't it stand to reason those players will find more "enjoyment" in a game more focused on what they would be looking for? Seems logical to me. But feel free to dismiss that thought. It doesn't matter now, the results will speak for themselves.

I'll be the first to agree that 'most' casual players will probably find more enjoyment in D4 than PoE. I wasn't aware that we were talking about that, and don't see how that's relevant to the discussion we were having. Unless, of course, you actually think this applies to everyone in the world. I wasn't talking about D4 at all. I was talking about PoE.

Surely, for discussion sake, casual / average players leaving PoE to another game (no matter what game that is), is directly relevant? While D4 is obviously going have the most impact of anything in PoE's history, it's just a byproduct of the situation PoE has created in their development strategy in terms of player experience.

Or what do you mean it's not part of what we are discussing? Perhaps I've missed something along the way?
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
While D4 is obviously going have the most impact of anything in PoE's history, it's just a byproduct of the situation PoE has created in their development strategy in terms of player experience.

This is where you are deadwrong.

You are implying the release of the biggest and most casual ARPG in this decade would have a lesser impact on PoE if PoE was more approachable for casuals and/or friendly towards casuals.
I dont think so.

D4 will suck the air out of the casual ARPG realm and likely kill every IP in that realm for good, the best chance of survival is outside this specific realm, which is not only where PoE is as we speak it also dominates the realm outside the casual ARPG market.

Its always been a niche game, its supposed to be a niche game and it will survive because its a niche game.

D4 will sink untold millions into marketing, attract a ton players, sell however many copies and be financially successful. No doubt.
Also no doubt that weeks/months later an unkown percentage of those players will be done with the game and bored to death.
If they wanted to keep playing an ARPG game that isnt as bland and shallow as D4, there is only one place for them to go.
"
Orbaal wrote:

You are implying the release of the biggest and most casual ARPG in this decade would have a lesser impact on PoE if PoE was more approachable for casuals and/or friendly towards casuals.

Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying. We just disagree on that obviously.

D4 is going to attract most everyone, for a time at least, but its the returning factor for PoE I'm highlighting. The harcore PoE types will come back, of that I have no doubt. D4 won't satisfy that itch. It's everyone else.

If GGG, as you indicate, don't hope to bring casuals back for 4.0, or some point in the future, then this is a financial catastrophe for them. We've hit the high watermark, and it's downhill from this point.

What does that mean though? Would PoE die? Nah, that's just forum hyperbole and a meme. Could they see their revenue get halfed and have to scale way back on staffing? Could Tencent ask CW to step down? Might there be a design philosophy shift? Monetization tweaks? All possible imo, but we really don't know how this will all play out. The remaining part of 2023 and 2024 should be very interesting though. Certainly an inflection point for GGG and PoE as we roll into whatever 4.0 brings.
- Abraham Lincoln
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

If GGG, as you indicate, don't hope to bring casuals back for 4.0, or some point in the future, then this is a financial catastrophe for them.

I never said nor implied that.

I think D4 will be financially successful but contentwise a terrible game with little to no longevity, which is why I think even casuals will be done with the game within weeks or months at most.

I think casuals will have to make a decision between either being bored while playing D4 or being overwhelmed while playing PoE.
Whichever one is less annoying to the individual player will win the day.
"
Orbaal wrote:

D4 will suck the air out of the casual ARPG realm and likely kill every IP in that realm for good, the best chance of survival is outside this specific realm, which is not only where PoE is as we speak it also dominates the realm outside the casual ARPG market.

How is that not implying, as you said, GGG looking outside the casual market?
- Abraham Lincoln
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"
Orbaal wrote:

How is that not implying, as you said, GGG looking outside the casual market?

Because I said PoE was never intended to be a casual game but a niche game for hardcore gamers.

Doesnt mean they cant venture into the casual market but that cant be the top priority. GGG cannot compete with Blizz marketing budget nor Diablos name recognition. That was never going to be an option.

Which is why venturing into the casual market is perfectly valid but only if they position themselves firmly in the hardcore market - thats what they have been doing.

Additionally I dont think D4 is going to be more than a temporary distraction for anyone enjoying complex games. Thats just not what D4 is meant to be nor what Blizz stands for.
Its fancy looking junk food on the casual gaming market, thats what modern Blizz stands for and they are making bank putting those products out there, so good for them.
Spoiler
Oh and I love when a few share an account name across games, and you see them on D4 or Destiny2, LE, Reddit, ect...
hoho yeah that's always nice catch the person knocking a game but that same person is at launch of said game. :P
-Official Forum Dweller-
-I started the hoho movement-
-Exploit Early - Exploit Often-
-Moderators are absurd and OP-
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
Surely, for discussion sake, casual / average players leaving PoE to another game (no matter what game that is), is directly relevant? While D4 is obviously going have the most impact of anything in PoE's history, it's just a byproduct of the situation PoE has created in their development strategy in terms of player experience.

Or what do you mean it's not part of what we are discussing? Perhaps I've missed something along the way?

I leave every game I play. Often. I love both SCUM and DayZ, but I often leave both of them. I've left PoE too, lots of times. I leave PUBG every Sunday, after me and the boys are done killing for the weekend.

D4 is a new, shiny, polished, casual-friendly giant in the ARPG genre. People will leave. Some will 'leave' just to try it, some will stay, some streamers will leave because there's more viewers there, at least for a while. Some players will play both.

We can sit here when the next PoE league launches and watch the numbers. Maybe the dip below 200k. Maybe 150k if you're really critical. Who knows? I will of course say it's inevitable because of "Diablo", and that the same will probably happen to Last Epoch, Grim Dawn and whatever else ARPG that is somewhat relevant. You will probably say "told you so, this is ONLY a result of poor development". Of course, neither of us will know. You will probably claim to know, of course. We both KNOW that :P

The question here is probably: Is the focus on dedicated players GGG have going to secure a more stable core player base (come D4), than shifting to a more casual focus, putting themselves as a more direct competitor to D4? How many of the returning, dedicated, 5k+ hours fans/players would PoE lose if they made PoE more casual? How many of the "new" players drawn in bt GGG's casual focus would not be interested in D4?

Too many questions here to be... "Too high" on our own opinions.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info