why PoE is dying

"
Scarletsword wrote:

But yeah, we will probably have 1 or 2 more threads like this one when D4 launches with people commenting how much better D4 is even though that game has an entirely different target audience, unintended animation canceling and CD bypassing, an insane amount of wide-screen exploits and plenty of other busted stuff that can't be fixed quickly.

It's going to be a fun dumpster fire to watch from afar.

di..did you just act like PoE isnt full of exploits and busted stuff that they never really fix? why even bring that point up like it matters when its the same here.

also acting like d4 and poe doesnt share a decent chunk of crossover is asinine.maybe your living under a rock i guess,but most of the big poe content creators i can think of are former d2 players,and when d4 comes out those guys will sell d4 to a lot of poe players.

the diablo franchise has stuck with people's memories good or bad.The story,the setting is unbeatable and PoE will never come close because heaven and hell is baked into all of society.

how many people even know what Path of Exile is about lol,i can tell you its not the millions that know who diablo is.

btw i havent bought or will buy d4 until its 6ish months+ maybe a year after release.I show some restraint.all these game companies are trash nowadays and bow to their shareholders.I'm Just not gonna lie to myself about how big diablo is.
Last edited by Unfailingapple on May 23, 2023, 7:44:11 PM
Been seeing some version of this for ten years. Probably still be seeing it in ten more.
"
Vennto wrote:
"
bobpoexa wrote:
This will be the future for PoE: 98% of new players will not stay, veteran player numbers dwindle league after league.

Can´t believe this made it to 13 pages. When do you people understand: Not Diablo 3, Not diablo 4, not diablo resurrected, not Diablo Immortal, not Wolcen, not Last Epoch, not Last Dawn, not any other thing you mentioned killed PoE and this argument is in the face of the highest player numbers ever totally ridiculous. "Poe will die because..."-posts should be banned because of spam at that point.

"I'm going to strawman the OP and 13 pages of responses because then it's easy for me to disingenuously undermine it with a single argument. Now I want that strawman I've created banned and for it to be a bannable offence to ever post it again!"

To say that the multi-faceted discussion around the downfall of PoE is purely "D4 gonna kill PoE LoL" is so silly.
No one can hear you poop in the forrest.
Very few currencies don't have an associated tab these days, tabs are looking extremely clean compared to a few years ago. Also, the question of why poe doesn't use a coin-based currency is such a dead horse that beating it is gonna turn the ancient skeleton into dust. The whole point of the trade system in poe is that it is barter-based, love it or hate it; that was one of the core principles the game is designed around.

You mean $ lol Buying tabs makes money their doing it for no other reason lol
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

Well thats the main difference in PoE with it's lack of identity.

I much prefer the Diablo class type system

I've often said build diversity in D3 was really under-sold.

There is definitely something to be said for consistency, which PoE lacks considerably, and yet another reason the game isnt easy to stick with.

All you are doing is highlighting how inaccessible PoE is, mostly due to how complex and convoluted the systems are.

Obviously it works for some people, but let's not also get confused about PoE. It's still a niche game.

I seriously would like to know why you are still here actually. I read nothing but negative arguments about PoE from you, ever. Like in every single post and sometimes you even get out of your way or deviate from the topic to introduce more of the same flame against PoE. Some of those arguments are factually correct, others arent, and others are presented as facts but really are just opinions, which is basically fine because everybody uses some sort of combination of the above to make a point. You also often try to undermine other peoples opinions like you're in a debate that actually matters to you. What I dont get: Why? f PoE is as horrible as you describe it: Why waste your time on it? This league you even played yourself, so why not stick to the great build diversity D3 offers according to you? I really wonder...

I would honestly see just for once a list from you what you actually like about PoE or if you just plainly enjoy shitting on the game in a somewhat eloquent manner, which, dont get me wrong here, I would kind of understand as well. I have been a troll in some capacity myself, it can be incredibly fun.
Last edited by Vennto on May 25, 2023, 2:27:58 AM
"
Vennto wrote:
Why waste your time on it?

Because it's the only game getting new content and balance changes every 3-4 months. It's the only one that stays "fresh" to at least some extent. The other games are great for a few weeks or maybe even months if you aren't playing much but you will get to the end of them eventually. That doesn't happen with POE. No matter how much shit there is in this game, no matter how much better the others are in pretty much every aspect, if you want to continuesly play an ARPG for more than half a year POE is the only choice you have.
"
Vennto wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

Well thats the main difference in PoE with it's lack of identity.

I much prefer the Diablo class type system

I've often said build diversity in D3 was really under-sold.

There is definitely something to be said for consistency, which PoE lacks considerably, and yet another reason the game isnt easy to stick with.

All you are doing is highlighting how inaccessible PoE is, mostly due to how complex and convoluted the systems are.

Obviously it works for some people, but let's not also get confused about PoE. It's still a niche game.

I seriously would like to know why you are still here actually. I read nothing but negative arguments about PoE from you, ever. Like in every single post and sometimes you even get out of your way or deviate from the topic to introduce more of the same flame against PoE. Some of those arguments are factually correct, others arent, and others are presented as facts but really are just opinions, which is basically fine because everybody uses some sort of combination of the above to make a point. You also often try to undermine other peoples opinions like you're in a debate that actually matters to you. What I dont get: Why? f PoE is as horrible as you describe it: Why waste your time on it? This league you even played yourself, so why not stick to the great build diversity D3 offers according to you? I really wonder...

I would honestly see just for once a list from you what you actually like about PoE or if you just plainly enjoy shitting on the game in a somewhat eloquent manner, which, dont get me wrong here, I would kind of understand as well. I have been a troll in some capacity myself, it can be incredibly fun.

First off I'm not going to address the "why don't you just leave" arguement presented as a solution to valid criticism. It's just weak, and doesn't accomplish anything. Ironically if someone doesn't actually play, they get told they can't have an opinion on the game experience, and if they do play, and have criticism, they are often told to leave. Quite the convenient loop if you ask me. I'm not falling for it.

While I've been critical recently it hasn't always been that way. PoE has changed alot over the last 10 years. Some good. Some not so good. I've highlighted both over time. This what a rational, thinking, person does. It's not all one way or the other. It's not all doom and gloom or sugar and rainbows. There is nuance.

I don't hide my profile, and anyone can read my post history. Phrazz and I went through this similar exercise a numbet of weeks back on the things I like about PoE still, and some things related to that I personally would like to see change. That's what a forum is for ultimately. A sharing of opinions.

Just to satisfy your need to know what I like about PoE, a few highlights:

I think the Atlas passive tree is one of the best things they have added in years. It provides for significant player customization for the engame they want to play. It's fantastic.

I really like the ascendancy passive progression. As I mentioned previously in the thread, I personally much prefer the class type systems where your character has identity. I was a big fan when this was originally introduced (lab not so much), and while the class balance could be better, poor gladiator, I'm looking forward to what new options GGG in store for players in PoE 4.0

The mapping systems and engame are well developed. Over the years it's true that I personally have gotten a bit tired of the same unlocking and voidstone / watchstone progress (and story campaign too for that matter), but once you are there it's quite good. Maps favorites, choosing farming methods you want, boss farming, or selling those boss items, are all nice customization features. Maps are the best part of the game imo.

In general, while I think looting is in a bad spot, especially with respect to crafting, and crafting itself is too convoluted, the actual itemization is deep and meaningful. The volume of information and possibilities for crafting are crazy. It's often way over my head, but that doesn't necessarily make it a negative for the game. Rare item uniqueness and variance is a good thing. I just wish they would reel in the complexity and rundant rng systems in the process, to make it more accessible.

And finally, just to keep this post somewhat reasonable in length, I'd say that the entire currency system of PoE is unique, and for the most part works really well. This versus the common gold/silver static systems you often see in other games. I'd like to see the currency vendor have more exchange options to avoid trade problems, and put floors/ceilings on currency equivalents, but overall it's quite good.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by DarthSki44 on May 25, 2023, 10:05:09 AM
Honestly if the next league was an ascendacies focused league with new ascendancies, it would fix a lot of the stake feeling assigned the game. They could add new ones instead of changing the old identities. Scion could have more than one class. Stuff like that. Hell they could give each class five to pick from.

I'm one of the people that enjoys lab, but being forced to do it is kind of lame.

In general I think ggg needs to take some grinding out of the game in terms of item progression. Qol stuff like being able to choose 1 prefix and suffix, removing bad mod types, collapsing some mods together, and just like a list of 1000 things to make crafting not the absolute worst experience in gaming. (In my opinion)
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
First off I'm not going to address the "why don't you just leave" arguement presented as a solution to valid criticism. It's just weak, and doesn't accomplish anything. Ironically if someone doesn't actually play, they get told they can't have an opinion on the game experience, and if they do play, and have criticism, they are often told to leave. Quite the convenient loop if you ask me. I'm not falling for it.

What makes your criticism(s) valid?

And speaking of convenient loops, here's one that I've seen over the past few months: Phrazz (could be anyone really, but I know Phrazz doesn't mind being the example in front of the class) makes a bunch of points and you dismiss them with something like

"
DarthSki44 wrote:
that is not the compliment you think it is. All you are doing is highlighting how inaccessible PoE is, mostly due to how complex and convoluted the systems are.

What makes any criticism, or defense, valid?

In my opinion, if you're asking for the game to be something you know its not trying to be, that is an invalid criticism. Writ large, I assume we all agree that going to the FIFA 2023 steam page and criticizing it for not being enough like PUBG couldn't possibly be valid, right?

Yet you yourself say at every turn this is a niche game and not that popular. An absolute icon said this earlier in the thread:

"
鬼殺し wrote:
It is an elitist's game now.

So let's assume that's the reality we live in. This is a niche game for elitists. By what grounds is a criticism of PoE for not being accessible valid? It's never been accessible - certainly not by the standards I've seen you put forth in discussions. It has shown no signs of wanting to be more accessible in the recent past (see them revamping A1 to make it harder, continuing to add content without cutting, and adding complex crafting systems like recombinators and crucible). It's been out for over a decade.
Spoiler
My 2c is that it is plenty accessible for anyone whose main hobby is pc/console gaming, even if that time is spent in other genres

You may find the FIFA/PUBG example exaggeration. But to me, at this point in the game's lifespan, asking for 'accessibility' by almost any definition seems about as futile.
^

What was the point in this post anyway? That forum goers (me included) thoughts and ideas aren't actually valid? Really? That's where you wanted to go? That nothing being discussed has any validity? Or who is this validity gatekeeper? I guessing you are volunteering yourself?

I suppose if you are just going to invalidate posts at will, then do me a favor and don't quote me simply to say that. That's about as sophomoric as you can get on a forum. Disagreement is one thing, this is quite another.

Imagine just quoting peoples posts with "invalid" replies. How droll.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info