Diablo 4 announces that there will be a campaign skip ... its time for POE to do the same

"
skjutengris wrote:

poe and poe2 has a month to go before they end up a niche game.
enjoy the month

If D4 is any good, the next year+ is going to be rough for PoE.
"
Orbaal wrote:

Huh? If I recall correctly the new campaign exists to introduce 19 new ascendancies.

It sure is also a new way to level your character but ultimately you´ll have to play the campaign granting access to whichever ascendancy you had in mind for your build.

Ascendancy choices are unrelated to the campaign you select, and both PoE1 and PoE2 share the same endgame. You won't have to play PoE2 to get the "new stuff" other than the new campaign. Any PoE2 mechanic and fundamental skill changes will be universal to the game.

I'm still a but unclear how the engine upgrades will work with PoE1 and then endgame, but most everything else will be shared.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"
Orbaal wrote:

Huh? If I recall correctly the new campaign exists to introduce 19 new ascendancies.

It sure is also a new way to level your character but ultimately you´ll have to play the campaign granting access to whichever ascendancy you had in mind for your build.

Ascendancy choices are unrelated to the campaign you select, and both PoE1 and PoE2 share the same endgame. You won't have to play PoE2 to get the "new stuff" other than the new campaign. Any PoE2 mechanic and fundamental skill changes will be universal to the game.

Source please?

Im pretty sure they mentioned a new way to ascend that wasnt the lab and only available by playing the new campaign.

Im aware that the endgame is shared. But picking your ascendancy happens way before endgame.

Edit:
Found it, says it right here:

New campaign unlocks new ascendancies, old campaign unlocks the old ones.

Last edited by Orbaal on May 4, 2023, 10:56:28 AM
"
Xyel wrote:
"
bauermayers wrote:
"
Xyel wrote:

Is it though? Or, better said, wouldn't something like:
1) Massive overhaul of the game's endgame with something innovatory like an atlas passive skill tree
2) A sweeping change to game's functional system(s), like gem-links instead of item-links
3) Introduced an alternative leveling system(s)
4) Added/reworked some extra ascendancy(ies), a bunch of new gems, and did some graphical updates

Wouldn't that qualify for 2?

No.

Where does that "alternative leveling' come from?

What do you mean by 'where does that come from'?

There will be no alternative leveling system in POE 2. All Chris said about it is how great the campaign is gonna be so nobody is gonna complain about doing it over and over. Pretty delusional stuff.
"
Orbaal wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"
Orbaal wrote:

Source please?

Im pretty sure they mentioned a new way to ascend that wasnt the lab and only available by playing the new campaign.

Im aware that the endgame is shared. But picking your ascendancy happens way before endgame.

Edit:
Found it, says it right here:

New campaign unlocks new ascendancies, old campaign unlocks the old ones.

Wow I hadnt recalled that infographic. What interesting wording, Calling them new characters in PoE2 is... something. They are not. The classes are exactly the same.

If that is how it actually turns out; that all the new choices are locked behind the PoE2 campaign only, and unavailable to PoE1 or Standard, despite having the same exact endgame, and same 6 base characters...well support won't allow for what commentary, and descriptions I have for them. That's some unbelievable fucking bullshit imo.

Anyways thanks for the sauce. Looks like I had that wrong by all accounts. My bad, and carry-on.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by DarthSki44 on May 4, 2023, 11:12:59 AM
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

Wow I hadnt recalled that infographic. What interesting wording, Calling them new characters in PoE2 is... something. They are not. The classes are exactly the same.

If that is how it actually turns out; that all the new choices are locked behind the PoE2 campaign only, and unavailable to PoE1 or Standard, despite having the same exact endgame, and same 6 base characters...well support won't allow for what commentary, and descriptions I have for them. That's some unbelievable fucking bullshit imo.

Anyways thanks for the sauce. Looks like I had that wrong by all accounts. My bad, and carry-on.

It will be a one and done deal like with the Scion.
You play 'POE2' campaign with every base class one time and unlock every POE2 ascendancy permanently the same way as you unlock the Scion permanently when freeing her in the act 3 Dominus tower.
Masterpiece of 3.16 lore
"A mysterious figure appears out of nowhere, trying to escape from something you can't see. She hands you a rusty-looking device called the Blood Crucible and urges you to implant it into your body."

Only usable with Ethanol Flasks
Last edited by gandhar0 on May 4, 2023, 12:56:02 PM
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

What do you mean "unavailable to PoE1 or Standard"? Nothing will be unavailable to Standard. Sure, taking advantage of some of the new stuff seems to require you to play the new stuff, but I think that is more or less how it goes in most games about progression.

All Standard characters will have all the old ascendancies unlocked. To get access to the new ascendancies, they have to play through the new story. Play the game. Level. Progress. God forbid, right?

And BTW: If you're going to critique their wording, you should probably get it right. They're not calling them new characters. They're calling them a "new set of exiles", which they are, both in terms of animations, graphics and story.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
Phrazz wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

What do you mean "unavailable to PoE1 or Standard"? Nothing will be unavailable to Standard. Sure, taking advantage of some of the new stuff seems to require you to play the new stuff, but I think that is more or less how it goes in most games about progression.

All Standard characters will have all the old ascendancies unlocked. To get access to the new ascendancies, they have to play through the new story. Play the game. Level. Progress. God forbid, right?

And BTW: If you're going to critique their wording, you should probably get it right. They're not calling them new characters. They're calling them a "new set of exiles", which they are, both in terms of animations, graphics and story.

The fuck? How? Seriously.

How exactly do you "restart" the campaign in Standard? Wouldn't this mean you have to create a new character? Which defeats the entire premise of Standard progression to begin with. For new starts, if you select PoE1 in the optional campaign track, you will have no access to the new choices? You are OK with this accessibility? I think it sucks. Big time.

And what "wording"? Unless there are previously unannoucned additions beyond the existing 6 classes, there are no new "characters".

Calling ascendancy & passive skill choices "characters" is a hilarious stretch imo. We dont do that. PoE doesn't have hundreds of characters. But whatever, you can die on that GGG definition hill if you want. Maybe those classes are "nearby" to new characters. This is wildly misleading.

*if it's a one time unlock, or some sort of side quest like gandhar0 suggests, then fine, otherwise this is some total BS gating on new content, in AN EXISTING GAME.
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by DarthSki44 on May 4, 2023, 1:47:32 PM
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
Which defeats the entire premise of Standard progression to begin with?

What? Is the premise of Standard to never make a new character? I thought it was that your progression won't get devalued, something it won't be. I'm sure there's people in Standard that levels a new character from time to time (especially if they want to make a new Duelist without destroying their old one), and I'm sure there's many Standard players wanting to experience the new story. No matter how we look at Standard, the new ascendancies will NOT be unavailable. Sure, it would require them to make a new character, but calling that "unavailable" seems like a stretch?

"
And what "wording"? Unless there are previously unannoucned additions beyond the existing 6 classes, there are no new "characters".

OK. My point: They never called them "new characters". They called them "new exiles", which they are, as they're linked to the story in a very different ways than the current exiles. Hell, the guy(s) crafting the story in PoE would probably call them new characters.

"
Calling ascendancy & passive skill choices "characters" is a hilarious stretch imo. We dont do that. PoE doesn't have hundreds of characters. But whatever, you can die on that GGG definition hill if you want.

I didn't do that. Neither did the announcement you are referring to. But they ARE new characters in the story line. New exiles. New identities. Different human beings. And that exactly what they did: Called them "new exiles".
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Last edited by Phrazz on May 4, 2023, 2:15:59 PM
"
Phrazz wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
Which defeats the entire premise of Standard progression to begin with?

What? Is the premise of Standard to never make a new character? I thought it was that your progression won't get devalued, something it won't be. I'm sure there's people in Standard that levels a new character from time to time (especially if they want to make a new Duelist without destroying their old one), and I'm sure there's many Standard players wanting to experience the new story. No matter how we look at Standard, the new ascendancies will NOT be unavailable. Sure, it would require them to make a new character, but calling that "unavailable" seems like a stretch?

"

OK. My point: They never called them "new characters". They

"
Calling ascendancy & passive skill choices "characters" is a hilarious stretch imo. We dont do that. PoE doesn't have hundreds of characters. But whatever, you can die on that GGG definition hill if you want.

I didn't do that. Neither did the announcement you are referring to. But they ARE new characters in the story line. New exiles. New identities. Different human beings. And that exactly what they did: Called them "new exiles".

I don't know Phrazz, calling the new ascendancy options unavailable seems reasonable to me considering the other options are readily available, and these are not. That's exactly what gating means. They are unavailable until you do "xyz"

And as far as their descriptions on "new exiles" go, they used 3 different terms in one small paragraph lol.

We have "19 new class options" listed as the header. Then we are told PoE2 "characters" are a "new set of Exiles".

So again, literally, new characters, new classes, and new exiles all listed in their description. I dont even know what to think about that.

If someone asked me how many characters were in D2,D3, D4 or PoE, or hell any other game like GD or LE, I respond with the main playable selections. You don't say PoE has 18 characters, or a multiplicative permutation of that with hundreds of build options. We didn't say that in D2 the fire sorc, cold sorc, and lightning sorc specializations or focuses, represented 3 separate characters.

Edit;
Spoiler
if someone does refer to the characters like that they are a sociopath that also wears socks to bed lol
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by DarthSki44 on May 4, 2023, 2:38:32 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info