Diablo 4 announces that there will be a campaign skip ... its time for POE to do the same

Re: Is PoE2 really a sequel?

While I think we have been through this a number of times, I think it is at least worth revisting a bit with Exilecon rapidly approaching.

The issue isn't so much what GGG wants to call PoE2, but rather how it's communicated, and how they manage player expectations. What do players think is coming with PoE2? (And holy hell they expect miracles)

The truth is, that PoE2 is PoE 4.0, a large expansion and patch to the existing infrastructure. Yes there are also some changes to the engine, gearing, and presumably pace of play. But all of that will be integrated with Vanilla PoE, which will co-exist. I think many people do not understand this scope, and will be surprised PoE2 isn't exactly "2". GGG has to figure out a way to navigate this marketing box they have put themselves into, without minimizing the work they have put into the last 5+ years.

While I do understand the desire to generate hype, and save PoE2 for a big splash at your multi-million dollar convention, the reality is that being on a communication lock-down, and allowing misinformation and speculation to run rampant, is counter-productive. I mean really, all this damage over the last 18 months to preserve some marketing hits? Ugh such shit optics. PoE1 is being dragged through the mud, which only stands to increase this notion that PoE2 will "fix everything" that is the popular meme on Reddit.

I do think this would have been problematic without D4, let alone having D4 fully released, but I don't think they anticipated D4 to be launching in the same window as Exilecon where they will be talking about PoE2. I don't think they thought D4 would be pre-empting PoE2, but here we are.

The TLDR here is that GGG can call PoE2 whatever they want. If the majority of players are confused, or worse, disappointed, in the scope of PoE2, then this entire exercise was a multi-mullion dollar bungle. They don't get a second shot at this with PoE2, so the pressure must be immense.

Spoiler
also I cannot even imagine the beta and tech issues associated with a PoE1 and console integration into PoE2. Given their past history, I wouldnt be the least bit shocked if its a total mess. Man, that contrast with a polished D4 might be stark, and god help them if D4's big season 1 competes with their 4.0 patch.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by DarthSki44 on May 3, 2023, 12:07:49 PM
"
Xyel wrote:
"
Innervation: a second campaign is an incredible thing to sell an expansion on. In fact, it's probably the only thing they COULD do to justify the designation of 'sequel'

Is it though? Or, better said, wouldn't something like:
1) Massive overhaul of the game's endgame with something innovatory like an atlas passive skill tree
2) A sweeping change to game's functional system(s), like gem-links instead of item-links
3) Introduced an alternative leveling system(s)
4) Added/reworked some extra ascendancy(ies), a bunch of new gems, and did some graphical updates

Wouldn't that qualify for 2?

No.

Where does that "alternative leveling' come from?
"
bauermayers wrote:
"
Xyel wrote:
"
Innervation: a second campaign is an incredible thing to sell an expansion on. In fact, it's probably the only thing they COULD do to justify the designation of 'sequel'

Is it though? Or, better said, wouldn't something like:
1) Massive overhaul of the game's endgame with something innovatory like an atlas passive skill tree
2) A sweeping change to game's functional system(s), like gem-links instead of item-links
3) Introduced an alternative leveling system(s)
4) Added/reworked some extra ascendancy(ies), a bunch of new gems, and did some graphical updates

Wouldn't that qualify for 2?

No.

Where does that "alternative leveling' come from?

What do you mean by 'where does that come from'?
As a softcore player. I would 100% play more builds if I didn't have to level so much in such a tedious way.

I get the hardcore thing, and maybe for hardcore keep the leveling experience the way it is. The experience for hardcore and softcore is already very different, I don't see any problem with making softcore a better option for people who like to just make builds and see how they work but don't want to feel like their time is wasted if they die.

I like the systems in the game and how they work together, not the heart-pounding experience of hardcore. I have a job if I wanna be stressed out lol.
"
"
Xyel wrote:
"

No. None of those come even close to being enough for a sequel. I can't see anyone who isn't already an Exile even getting a slight flutter of interest over any of that.

Why did people get the flutter for no man's sky then?

Conceptually, that game's premise was exactly the same as PoE's mapping and the hype for it was incredible.

Excellent that you'd bring up No Man's Sky because it is quite possibly the perfect example to counter your argument re: what constitutes a sequel.

People 'got the flutter' for NMS because, as a proc-gen space exploration game, it was truly something new, not a mere content addition to an existing game trying to pass as a sequel (which is exactly what PoE '2' is to me). People ALSO got the flutter for Path of Exile before it 'released' as something new too (a more complex D2+FFVII gems+FFX skill grid+Torchlight 'treasure maps'+dead babies on a beach=!!!!) -- don't forget, I was there for that too. In both cases, the flutter was warranted. In both cases, it'd take years to really see that. And in both cases, the underlying motivation would reveal itself and show us who the developers really were and what they really wanted.

Now, I'm a Day One Traveller/Interloper. Still have my physical Ps4 copy, kept the faith, played all of No Man's Sky's iterations (pun intended), all that. I have over 20 PoE garments and they mostly occupy a drawer of shame these days (except the hoodie, which is thin enough to be comfy on a fairly warm day); I have only one NMS T-Shirt and I wear it proudly.

Because where I think Grinding Gear Games sold out and are now getting *way* ahead of themselves with this 'Path of Exile 2' business, Hello Games have only fairly recently gone from 'way ahead of themselves' to 'genuine success story delivering on what was promised'. GGG started as the underdog to Blizzard's supremacy; HG debuted as a golden child of Sony. Chris and Sean are both serious wunderkind, and both of them changed the landscape of the Live Service industry. PoE remains the gold standard for 'fair' free to play; No Man's Sky created its own style of service with many of the features of the GAAS but none of the free to play trappings (emphasis on 'trap').

Although NMS is neither f2p nor cursed with mtxes, there are some interesting parallels with PoE in its history. There have been over 20 significant updates/overhauls since its launch, all of them absolutely free. Two were basically version upgrades: Next and Beyond (although Next and Origins are 2.0 and 3.0 respectively). Similarly, PoE has had 2.0 (Awakening) and 3.0 (Fall of Oriath). Both have seasonal content, although the NMS version of a league (Expedition) is much more laid-back and structured to drive a certain short-form narrative each time -- and HG tend to rerun them so there's little to no FOMO involved, whereas PoE is sort of built on various flavours of FOMO. Being a game as product, NMS simply doesn't need to rely on that.

Conversely, PoE has been fuelled by a mixture of pay for convenience and pay to not look like a tin can on legs (for those who'd rather look like a christmas tree on legs instead). NMS is a one-off purchase. Such is the cost of its horrifically bad launch -- HG were so desperate to regain goodwill they gave and continue to give away content that pretty much anyone else would monetise, one way or another. The road back from a catastrophic launch after a literally unbelievable amount of hype is neither easy nor quick. So where PoE, which has done nothing but climb consistently from its humble roots and used incremental updates to sell mtxes and support packs, NMS has had to use them just to get back to zero. And it took years. Redemption is just that much harder to attain than simple ascension.

So -- some similarities, some differences.

But at no point would HG have the hubris or almost blatant desperation to rename their game 'No Man's Sky 2' as a result of an expansion. And that's why you bringing it up is so good: you're asking why people 'get a flutter' for it? Because it's a single game operating as such. Because while it might have some conceptual similarities to PoE (although that's not the word I'd use, not given the abovementioned factors -- 'operational' would be closer), it has been through hell to get where to where it is. PoE...not so much.

Hello Games have had their redemption arc, so to speak, while Grinding Gear Games have yet to even really struggle in comparison. They started as the underdogs but didn't so much have to struggle as simply wait for the competition to shit its own bed, repeatedly. PoE launched well, and has just grown since. NMS...well, Sean Murray celebrated once it finally made it to 'mostly positive' reviews on steam. Years after its release. Their studio was flooded in the middle of NMS' development, costing them a whole hell of a lot of resources (although as Sean points out in the article, most of their work was backed up). And even now they're giving shit away that, honestly, they really shouldn't have to. That is the price they paid (and continue to pay) for their terrible launch. For Murray's many missteps as an ill-conceived PR machine. I'm not saying it didn't pay off eventually (I figure sales for NMS are just fine now -- HG is hardly a charity) but they had to work on that one product, for years, with no real profit other than one-off sales.

I cannot conceive of any feasible addition to NMS that would justify it being called 'No Man's Sky 2'. It would just look silly. Why employ such a marketing ploy when the entire aim has been to get people to approve of and buy 'No Man's Sky' as it is, as it continues to be? Not a new campaign (they already did that), not a system overhaul (they've done that too), not different levelling systems (whether we're talking wealth, combat prowess, base expansion, space combat effectiveness...they've done all that too, and continue to do that), not even a new engine. Making 'No Man's Sky' better is far, far superior to somehow getting it to some arbitrary point of improvement 'justifying' calling it a sequel.

Technically Path of Exile 4.0 should be exempt PoE from 'evolving game' awards and accolades -- if GGG want to flog it as a sequel, traditionally a 'new game', let it be judged as such. A new thing. But of course that's where GGG get to have their cake and eat it too: they get to market 4.0 as a 'numbered sequel' but of course since it's not actually a new game, it can still be considered just another evolution of the core game.

Of course, I'd be perfectly happy if a certain other game came along and stole their cake away, forcing them to remember how to full-bake their content additions and not just half-bake, but eh, realistically I don't see that happening. There'll always be Exiles eager to pretzel their noodles to justify GGG's 'good enough'.

And that's enough good metaphors for one post, I think.

Also, there's some repetition in there as I added to various edits but I'm about 98% over writing this and 100% sure I've said enough on the matter, so eh, deal. I've got Inteceptor ships to salvage and claim, hilariously simple space economies to exploit, and a weird mech to finish tricking out.

This sounds more like you just don't like the PoE 2 thing due to reasons not really related to i.

I mean, PoE 2 isn't indeed a new game, but an evolution of PoE 1, where a large part of the difference got already patched into PoE 1 - if you look at PoE from 2016 and PoE from 2022, then the 2022 version looks like a completely different game. It largely plays like a different game too. That it happened gradually does not change that. For this reason, I don't see the PoE 2 thing as a marketing tool, so much as an officialization of how much has the game changed.

But one thing caught my attention, that NMS adding a campaign didn't warrant calling it NMS 2... and yet, GGG adding an alternative campaign is a necessary requirement for PoE 2 to deserve the 2?

That doesn't add up.

To expand on my point, in terms of content:
Diablo 2 was 100 % campaign 0% endgame
PoE ~pre 2016 was about 90 % campaign 10 % endgame
PoE in 2022 was about 7 % campaign 93 % endgame, and I'm being generous with the 7 %

How is changing that 7 % so important, that it overshadows anything that could be done with the remaining 93 % of the game?

Now, as for 'how could alternative leveling look like', imagine the game started like this - you start with a character in prison. An NPC comes, saying you are sentenced to exile. But that Oriath is having issues with monsters appearing seemingly out of nowhere. He offers you a choice - get your exile to Wraeclast, or do become cannon fodder when trying to solve the appeareing monsters.
The first choice sends the character to the campaign. The new choice sends the character mapping from lvl1, under Kirak's supervision.
Everything that happens in the campaign can be pseudo-random encounters you find during the mapping, be it skill points, labyrinth trials, meeting the masters, encountering old league mechanics, new league mechanic, or earning resistance penalties.

That would fundamentally change how the game is played, much more so than a new campaign will, especially for anyone new to PoE... and it would also bring the game's main mode to lvl1, instead of it being locked behind level65+ for historical reasons.

It would also be an actual innovation to the, otherwise extremely stale, genre, making it fully worth the 2 tag.

It would even be a logical innovation, because the original Diablo I + II campaigns were so impactful due to being some of the first campaigns we have ever played. Now, most people have played through dozens, if not hundreds, of different campaigns, so we're reached the point where people happily pay the price tag of a triple-A game just to skip a game's campaign (like FFXIV campaign skips) and get to the endgame, the part of the game they actually want to play.

I know it won't happen, mostly because GGG seems to be stuck thinking of Diablo 2, rather than embracing their own creation. It's a shame though.
"
bauermayers wrote:
"
CAPSLOCK_ON wrote:
"
bauermayers wrote:

Too bad, I'd like to see some form of story skip but the thing is what Blizzard is doing is nothing new since you can also story skip in D3 and that never influenced POE to do the same. Also, these devs have a reputation for being really stubborn when it comes to their design choices, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

it's being added to the new diablo so it's gained more attention and this topic is being brought up again

yes ggg are very stubborn for things that they have no reason to be other than to spite the playerbase

replying using early 2000s forums tech is awful tbh
Last edited by CAPSLOCK_ON on May 3, 2023, 1:05:12 PM
Here's my last post on the matter, because as I noted, better things to do: I would put *money* down that GGG are strongly considering a story-independent way of leveling alt new characters after players have finished either campaign in any one given state of the game with one character (i.e. a fresh league/'expansion' campaign playthrough). They want "PoE 2" to be relevant as a modern, competitive ARPG? That is a box they need to seriously consider checking.
Predecessor! Paragon is BACK.
Finished Dragons Dogma 2 at 327 hours, 9 playthroughs. Loved every minute.
Holy shit, Assassins Creed ARPG trilogy isnt shit. 3D titan quest with better writing?
Dungeon Encounters is brilliant. Square Enix should stop banking on bloatjunk like ffxvi and ff7r.
"
Here's my last post on the matter, because as I noted, better things to do: I would put *money* down that GGG are strongly considering a story-independent way of leveling alt new characters after players have finished either campaign in any one given state of the game with one character (i.e. a fresh league/'expansion' campaign playthrough). They want "PoE 2" to be relevant as a modern, competitive ARPG? That is a box they need to seriously consider checking.

A similar thought crossed my mind.
However, I think they might keep the old campaign as is, no alternate way of levelling, but designed the new one in a way that it's easier to have that.

Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
"
Mikrotherion wrote:

However, I think they might keep the old campaign as is, no alternate way of levelling, but designed the new one in a way that it's easier to have that.

Huh? If I recall correctly the new campaign exists to introduce 19 new ascendancies.

It sure is also a new way to level your character but ultimately you´ll have to play the campaign granting access to whichever ascendancy you had in mind for your build.
poe and poe2 will be the same game design.

will they be able to fix visual clutter?
No.

Will they be able to fix the stale gameplay poe has had for years now?
no.

Is there a story that make sense to engage in poe2?
No, your a criminal and trying to steal gods powers.
(still weak)

poe and poe2 has a month to go before they end up a niche game.
enjoy the month

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info