The Forbidden Sanctum Talent Competition

Sad about the Ai part honestly, since its 100% free available (no not midjourney) im talking about the model its based on, Stable Diffusion, anyone can use it for free granted you have decent enough hardware (about 6gig vram will do).

The arguments that it somehow requires no effort to get a good image, you just click a button right? That notion is pretty uninformed.
The notion that its not transformative with no individual input, to me is baffling, because if anything the concepts that for instance Stable Diffusion understands and uses to generate pictures is through literal noise, prompt input, your gpu, the settings of the generator (cfg, steps, sampler etc.), what checkpoint you use, what textual inversions, LORA, hypernetworks you add.

All this brings me back to what photography went through before it was accepted as an art form, because you just click one button and the camera makes all the work for you right?

There is more to any tool used for expression, and in the end the human is irreplaceable in the process.

Its your competition, but neglecting the creativity of people that would have participated, sharing some amazing creations, is kinda sad.

Having said that, i bet you also as an organizer felt that you were treading on uncertain legal ground, and i get that.
We will most likely soon get some guidance on this, and using ai to express your creativity is going to be just as it was with photography in the end (at least thats my analysis of this). We sorely need an update to copyright law.
(Also hate to break it to you, if you use Photoshop you are already getting assisted by Ai, just that its prohibitively expensive and not 100% free)

The tech is not going away, better learn it while its so freely available (when was Photoshop-level tools available for free ever?).

Also do you want to every next competition, to question every one that comes up with a decent picture, interrogate them if they were done with the help of an Ai or not?
Maybe you will then need to go the way of physical copy of work only?
Video proof?
What im saying is, for the next round, maybe figure out better rules, make a sub category for just those creations and lets marvel at what people can think up and how well they can master the tools available instead.
In many cases, there is no real way to say if one image is AI generated or edited. That's why this rule makes no sense IMO.
It’s crazy to me that there are people like the above defending ai art. It’s an all round bad thing for the art community and yes does not belong in a ‘talent contest’. you want a separate competition so you can compare keywords like it took any talent. You compared it to photography like it’s even a little similar, in photography you actively think about composition, lighting, mood, colour arrangement etc and physically take multiple photos until it’s right. anyone who supports ai art clearly isn’t an artist otherwise they would see the damage it is/will do to the community of artists who spend years and years on there craft
"
gugo123 wrote:

All this brings me back to what photography went through before it was accepted as an art form, because you just click one button and the camera makes all the work for you right?

This is a talent competition, I am sure you could use photography if you wanted to. I encourage you to do it!

"
gugo123 wrote:

The tech is not going away, better learn it while its so freely available (when was Photoshop-level tools available for free ever?).

Krita is free and if you have the talent to paint or draw digitally to use it and show some awesome art for this talent contest!

https://krita.org/en/

GL exile and I can t wait to see your original art !
Forum pvp
Last edited by lolozori on Jan 26, 2023, 3:12:02 AM
Hello everyone! This is my first time taking part in a competition. I hope you will like it!
Last edited by Denissinc on Jan 26, 2023, 2:47:23 AM
Here's my submission!

How did this terrible creature come to be?
Hate alone was not enough. It took one more ingredient.
Love... poisoned by betrayal,
to bring so much bloodshed and woe.
Last edited by StellaTheSlaya on Feb 2, 2023, 6:20:10 PM
"
gugo123 wrote:
Sad about the Ai part honestly, since its 100% free available (no not midjourney) im talking about the model its based on, Stable Diffusion, anyone can use it for free granted you have decent enough hardware (about 6gig vram will do).

The arguments that it somehow requires no effort to get a good image, you just click a button right? That notion is pretty uninformed.
The notion that its not transformative with no individual input, to me is baffling, because if anything the concepts that for instance Stable Diffusion understands and uses to generate pictures is through literal noise, prompt input, your gpu, the settings of the generator (cfg, steps, sampler etc.), what checkpoint you use, what textual inversions, LORA, hypernetworks you add.

There is more to any tool used for expression, and in the end the human is irreplaceable in the process.

Its your competition, but neglecting the creativity of people that would have participated, sharing some amazing creations, is kinda sad.

Having said that, i bet you also as an organizer felt that you were treading on uncertain legal ground, and i get that.
We will most likely soon get some guidance on this, and using ai to express your creativity is going to be just as it was with photography in the end (at least thats my analysis of this). We sorely need an update to copyright law.
(Also hate to break it to you, if you use Photoshop you are already getting assisted by Ai, just that its prohibitively expensive and not 100% free)

Also do you want to every next competition, to question every one that comes up with a decent picture, interrogate them if they were done with the help of an Ai or not?
Maybe you will then need to go the way of physical copy of work only?
Video proof?
What im saying is, for the next round, maybe figure out better rules, make a sub category for just those creations and lets marvel at what people can think up and how well they can master the tools available instead.

Did you know that AI uses the work of other artists who have learned to draw for years? If you think it's right to recognize AI as an art form, then please first learn how to draw like other artists do and then use AI and talk about it being art :)
"
It’s crazy to me that there are people like the above defending ai art. It’s an all round bad thing for the art community and yes does not belong in a ‘talent contest’. you want a separate competition so you can compare keywords like it took any talent. You compared it to photography like it’s even a little similar, in photography you actively think about composition, lighting, mood, colour arrangement etc and physically take multiple photos until it’s right. anyone who supports ai art clearly isn’t an artist otherwise they would see the damage it is/will do to the community of artists who spend years and years on there craft

What you think you take any first picture you generate? You think about the colors, the composition, you adjust your prompt in order to make the changes (you have to have knowledge of how your specific model behaves in order to adjust properly)

You have obviously never tried doing anything specific with an ai tool, and it shows.
"
Did you know that AI uses the work of other artists who have learned to draw for years? If you think it's right to recognize AI as an art form, then please first learn how to draw like other artists do and then use AI and talk about it being art :)

So you are assuming im not an artist? Quite naive of you
I am, went to school for it, had exhibitions and done art for a while professionally even...but thats not the point, also my career was cut short due to real life events.

Do you blend your own acrylic/oil colors? Weave your own canvas? Glue your own brushes? (ive done that, and know how to do all of the above btw)

Does not doing so make you less of an artist?

Also the Ai does not use the art of others, it in essence uses the concepts, just lika an artist that studies goes to school studies and goes on to make art with that knowledge later on. You should read up on what the technology does exactly before jumping to "it uses others art" or "its like a collage" (which its not at all), it might show influences of someones style in some respects, tell me what artists dont, also style isnt copyrightable in most of the world.
Ai image generation is just another in a long line of tools that utilizes the collective knowledge of artists, just in another way.
Last edited by gugo123 on Jan 26, 2023, 7:04:17 PM
"
gugo123 wrote:
"

So you are assuming im not an artist? Quite naive of you
I am, went to school for it, had exhibitions and done art for a while professionally even...but thats not the point, also my career was cut short due to real life events.

Do you blend your own acrylic/oil colors? Weave your own canvas? Glue your own brushes? (ive done that, and know how to do all of the above btw)

Does not doing so make you less of an artist?

Also the Ai does not use the art of others, it in essence uses the concepts, just lika an artist that studies goes to school studies and goes on to make art with that knowledge later on. You should read up on what the technology does exactly before jumping to "it uses others art" or "its like a collage" (which its not at all), it might show influences of someones style in some respects, tell me what artists dont, also style isnt copyrightable in most of the world.
Ai image generation is just another in a long line of tools that utilizes the collective knowledge of artists, just in another way.

Haha, in the end it all comes down to "Style is not copyrighted, but AI uses it!". I doubt very much that you were trying to do anything of your own (artistically) ((except for the AI xd)). Otherwise, you would know that such as AI cannot be recognized as art.
Last edited by Denissinc on Jan 26, 2023, 9:47:04 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info