How is this game playable in melee?

Nevermind, arguing with parrots won't get me anywhere. I really have to stop doing this -.-
Last edited by Baharoth15 on Apr 18, 2023, 4:03:48 AM
Melee is the worst though (meaning it ranks last vs the other archetypes not that its unplayable), it absolutely gets whined about relentlessly by players that wouldn't play melee even if it was good but the fact is it wouldn't cost GGG anything to have melee be stronger for a patch instead of just constantly sidelining it.

Its a little like this league and the crucible specific skill nodes right? Many skills get variations so bad you immediately know they are unusuable, some get very meh sidegrades kinda irrelevant but there are about 10 skills that get ones that are straight busted the values and intent were chosen so poorly.

How can you simultaneously give rolling magma 100 radius while applying some razor focus on melee balance to ensure it stays within defined values?

Melee just needs a little higher stat efficiency than it currently has, Baharoth is right that many of melee's worst problems are actually shared with selfcast too but many of these can be alleviated by just accepting that PoB dps numbers are irrelevant and doing correct modelling for skills.

Just as an extremely easy to relate to example, what is DPS uptime on Sirus? If you are Ignite its like 80-90% same for minions, totems etc. Selfcast and ranged wand/bow are going to be lower, you have to mechanically dodge, don't have auto targeting and the boss moves alot so it goes to like 50% of the time you can actually dps.

Melee is like 20-30 because you have the exact same windows casters have, but also have to close the distance whenever completing a phase of dodging or chasing the boss round.

That is what needs addressing for melee for two primary reasons, firstly their values are assigned as if all uptimes are 100% so melee now requires more gear to compete (and more defences) - that gear can be cheaper because nobody plays it but set that aside for now.

Secondly and this is a very important one to their game design as they've made it, most players do not fight the bosses with any real mechanics they overpower the content with weight of knowledge, build guide and currency. As a result the average player thinks melee is borderline impossible and always will unless they can find a similar level of face-melting to what they compare it to.

So to achieve parity for the experienced player melee requires more damage for less passives, for regular players it just needs vastly more damage to correlate to the uptime/dps of the community go-to builds. They could address this at anytime they just don't because they are fulfilling their own prophecy of nobody plays melee, so we won't work on it, so less players play melee, so we won't work on it.

I apologise for this wall of text :p i'm still hoping to get a banger melee build going in crucible but every weapon i've krangled so far has the most godawful tree.
Last edited by Draegnarrr on Apr 18, 2023, 4:07:05 AM
"
Draegnarrr wrote:

So to achieve parity for the experienced player melee requires more damage for less passives, for regular players it just needs vastly more damage to correlate to the uptime/dps of the community go-to builds.

Would be nice, if GGG would remove the need for totems and either provide those dmg/speed buffs on the tree or the gem itself, scaled by the gems lvl.

I never understood why totems should be relevant for melee in the first place and also reduces the amount of button spam.

That and the pretty bad targeting system for melee is whats annoying me the most and stopping me from playing melee.
Dmg isnt even that big of a deal but thats just me.
"
Baharoth15 wrote:
Nevermind, arguing with parrots won't get me anywhere. I really have to stop doing this -.-

At least you won't see this parrot use derogatory terms towards other people discussing, nor debate the person and not the case. Just say what you wanted to say. We'll probably disagree, of course, but if that makes me a parrot, then I guess I'll just be shrieking on my own.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
ive solely played boneshatter jugg so far this patch, it has been the most fun I have had since being a long time witch running EA ballister
Boneshatter that's how
I think Molten Strike has potential this league, but I'm not sure why Jungroan's build has so much projectile speed. I'm not even sure if any of those outgoing projectiles are going to hit the single-target. I know he is using Vengeant Cascade, but I wonder why he doesn't try to scale the outgoing projectiles too, but only the returning projectiles.
My guess is, he want's to increase his clear. I've got slower projectiles + the slow from the mastery on my build and the projectiles are all focussed in my direct vicinity. Damage and fast movement still make for somewhat decent clear but if clearspeed is your focus then you want projectile speed. The single target is absurd anyway so i guess it's not needed that much, especially with good gear. I am curious how long people will need to figure out what's going on and even more curious how GGG intends to fix this next league. This is leaps and bounds above the powerlevel they like.
Ah yes nothing says melee more than speaking of " projectile speed " kek. *rolls eyes*

As for survival being the reason some reply'er is saying for why melee dps is low with poe ninja. For some gems perhaps. Yet I've seen people struggle with dps for double strike when they were just lvling at lvl 30 for the dry lake bed Act 4. They had the weakest dps out of 20 party members for that lvl range. & survival wasn't the reason it was a low hitting lvling skill.

The 2 most talked about melee gems so far are boneshatter, which essentially has the most dull visual effect out of every slam skill. Well the stun effect is nice, yet beyond that it's visually average. Slams which are already too overly simple of a design for a melee ability.

& RF where for some odd reason vets and devs have worshipped item hoarding so much, they don't even give a damn about piano'ing for skill rotation. As if one skill spamming isn't overly simple enough, how about zero active skills to use? Brilliant!

" & If you don't enjoy that, go play some other mmo, says the poe society ". Was just viewing Asmongolds stream, he just made some flashbang effect seizure autobomber build. Some of his stream assumed it was a glitch, only for others to tell them the POE official channel sponsored this loop build. /facepalm

I admit the build was sweet to see at first. Still after a few mins, his viewers even asked him, " How is this fun? " & Asmongold said, " Ye this wouldn't be fun if you started off this way, yet working 3 days to build this build is the fun ". They titled the loop " afk lvling". Then he tested the build for 30 mins, till it gave his audience adhd and he went on to review videos soon after. So even he admits playing the flashy autobombers build is average, after the journey of getting ready. Obviously, he's just walking around with the flashbang grenade effect.

His audience wasn't able to handle the strobelight sound either. Wait till they hear Duel Strike, sounds as someone picked a metal stop sign and swung it at the street ground. I'm not able to handle Duel Strike's sound design for more than 10 seconds, non the less hours.

Slams require more piano rotation reasons, so a kid isn't able to master them.
Strikes require less shooting of projectiles or unresponsive movement flickers.
& Autobombing is only entertaining for item hoarders who've never pvped ever.

100 people towns with hang out fields. Witcher taverns. Free hair style options. IRO War of Emperium gvg map.

https://clips.twitch.tv/ChillyFrailLobsterPMSTwin-jQe3D4Yt2ZttgsdA

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/15cetf5/new_frigid_bond_support_love_u_guys/
Last edited by RuneLuthien on Apr 18, 2023, 3:38:34 PM
Melee has been bad for a long time.

I'm hoping part of the reason we haven't seen any melee love is it is a huge part of the rework for POE2 and can not be added just yet.

Spoiler
Let me enjoy my copium
I've lost control of the controls...
Jesus take the wheel"
RAizQT during Kammel HC race

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info