How is this game playable in melee?

I guess I picked a bad time to try shield crush jugg. lol
Sounds like a player issue.
https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/988f3369-4b68-4eb9-bc0e-edfce4c3c950
melee is bad sadly don't let others tell you it isn't anyone who is successful playing melee would be god tier if they played something else.

especially with this league mechanic.
there are tons of lvl 100 chars with millions dps melee builds.

sanctum is easy if you kill anything before it can hit you
"
Delamonica wrote:
there are tons of lvl 100 chars with millions dps melee builds.

sanctum is easy if you kill anything before it can hit you

and there are people who can take the worst skill and invest 50-70 divines into it and give it millions of DPS to kill stuff before it can hit them. doesn't mean the skill is good or balanced or fine as is.

i've invest 3-4 divines into an Earthquake bleed build that can do fairly good DPS and clear read maps however if i took those same divines and invested into one of the FEW meta caster builds i probably could be rolling the endgame bosses.

THATS the difference.
But, Cleave now has a +2 to range! I read that here on the forums.
"Gratitude is wine for the soul. Go on. Get drunk." Rumi
US Mountain Time Zone
It is you just need to learn it.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
You play melee by first destroying content with another type of character

then when you get bored, over-gear your new melee character and play away
"
kaibraxton wrote:
You play melee by first destroying content with another type of character

then when you get bored, over-gear your new melee character and play away

This is an interesting point that I'd like to see explored further (the thread doesn't have too many that haven't been covered in other threads). I do believe that it's entirely possible to wreck face as genuine melee in PoE -- too many people have characters doing just that.

But I think it important to ask how many of those characters were their first for the league and are they SSF? We discussed elsewhere that melee might be 'off-class' in Path of Exile -- a style you play when you have the resources to do so, relying on powerful gear to compensate for an otherwise 'inferior' or 'divergent' play style.

If melee is off-class in PoE and relies on traded/muled gear, I think that's a problem.

If it is not, and playing PoE melee as your only character to a point of generally agreed-upon viability is merely a case of having to use all of the tools on offer (not including those traded for/muled), then it is not a problem. Then the onus is on the player to figure out how to put those pieces together.

A secondary problem would be that it might take a lot more work to figure out how those pieces work compared to a non-melee approach. Traditionally, casting has been for high-int characters, and implicitly players drawn to that style are themselves into problem solving of a less than direct manner. Melee has been for those more apt to tackle issues head-on, and typically the systems used to simulate that have been fairly straightforward. PoE almost seems to invert that: playing a caster/nuker is 'easy mode', playing melee is 'hard mode' not just because of how enemies are tuned but because of things we've already discussed ad nauseum: unlimited ammo, game skews closer to a shooter than an ARPG, this is still GGG's first game, and GGG seem far less interested in balancing 'melee vs ranged' than any of their players. They know what sort of game they're making; why is it so hard for Exiles to figure out?

(I dunno, GGG, maybe because you still call it an ARPG?)

Further thoughts re 'Melee is fine'
If you have to acquire the pieces from an external source (trading and/or muling), just to play a style as basic and fundamental to ARPGs as 'melee', then I don't think a person can reasonably argue that 'melee in PoE is fine'.

Equally, if there is only one or two ways to play melee as your league starter and make their main character even without trading/muling, that is not 'fine'. A style as basic as melee in a game with this many active melee skills should not be limited to a few skills from scratch. Especially not when the game gives the vast majority of those 'maybe not so viable active melee skills' as quest rewards.

Totems I don't consider melee. They're just at-range skills that might deal melee damage themselves. They're summons, in typical ARPG terminology.

And of course, if you're just using your melee weapon as a focus for ranged attacks, then no, that's not melee. Attack waves, projected slashes, blah blah blah...not melee. Ground slam, Sunder, and Lacerate, all of which have 'wave' in their descriptions, can gtfo. None of those skills requires you to actually hit an enemy with your weapon. Not melee. This goes for any other 'melee' skill that follows the same criterion.

Cleave has always been borderline for me because for a while there it was sort of more like the basic attack from the classic sega run-and-slasher Strider than anything and that's never cool. And Reave, something similar. So Rule of Cool overrides here.

I'm also a little less strict on the notion of the pseudo-melee of spell-triggering. In an ideal ARPG, melee would absolutely mean hit things with weapon -- do damage with weapon -- things go splat. But for a long time, hybrids like 'spellblades' have been a thing, and proccing spells with melee attacks can still be considered melee. This is one of the primary ways to approach melee in a game like Grim Dawn, which for me is all about proccing decent sized AoE effects on attack as a Blademaster. Similarly, I loved Cast On Critical Strike in PoE from the start, but it is not what I'd consider a primary melee style. I had to sacrifice a few gem slots, spec into all sorts of passives, and generally 'bend' around the game just to make something cool. But if a person can make that or any other 'melee-triggered' build work, eh, they're still getting into relatively close quarters combat with their character. Still melee, I think. Melee-adjacent, at worst.

'Strikes' that require you to hit a single target before unleashing secondary effects are melee. Lightning Strike has also always sort of baffled me and embodies GGG's early inability to clarify skill categories. The projectiles cannot miss IF you use it as a melee skill, and the projectiles deal less damage than the initial strike. But you can just sit back and spam the bolts if you want (it's almost never been a good option compared to actually casting), so I'm inclined to throw Lightning Strike out of the melee club.

Vaal versions are 'super' attacks and should be granted much more leeway as regards range and efficacy. A Vaal melee attack that suddenly behaves like a ranged AoE is perfectly fine.

I'm sure I've missed something. Probably lots of somethings. It wasn't my intent to run down all of the melee tagged skills in PoE like Conan The Librarian, only to use a few of them as examples of what I find contentious in PoE's existing 'melee' category.

Currently playing on:
Ps5 - - Predecessor, Warhammer 40k Inquisitor, Dungeon Encounters, Assassins Creed Origins, Deep Rock Galactic/Remnant 2 (MP w mates);
Tablet - - Buriedbornes 2, Dawncaster, Loop Hero, Fate GO;
and,
PC - - Word and winamp ~_^
This league, it sure isn't.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info