How is this game playable in melee?

"
capable of clearing all content the game has to offer

Melee fits that definition of viable perfectly as well though. And no, there is no mirror tier gear required for it. Not even close.

Why is this still an argument this late in the game? It's pretty hard to refute someone claiming that melee is shit because ranged is better. It certainly is, the only thing to argue about is the size of the gap.
But it's also an established fact that just doing all endgame content with melee is a non-issue.
"
Baharoth15 wrote:
"
capable of clearing all content the game has to offer

Melee fits that definition of viable perfectly as well though. And no, there is no mirror tier gear required for it. Not even close.

Why is this still an argument this late in the game? It's pretty hard to refute someone claiming that melee is shit because ranged is better. It certainly is, the only thing to argue about is the size of the gap.
But it's also an established fact that just doing all endgame content with melee is a non-issue.

You're arguing that Melee as an archetype can clear all content. I Agree wholeheartedly.

Who I was replying to was saying that EVERY melee build is viable and that if you complain you lack skill and are poor.

These are two very different positions.
No one can hear you poop in the forrest.
"
hmcg020 wrote:
viable

People are defining "viable" in hundred different ways. For some people, "viable" means the exact same thing as "possible", and hence; all melee builds are "viable".

Do I agree? No. I think we need to factor in economy, the ease of gear acquisition, boss mechanics and smoothness of leveling before defining something as "viable". And I think 'most' melee builds are lacking in more than one of those areas. But hey, melee isn't the only archetype struggling, so who cares, right?
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
Phrazz wrote:
"
hmcg020 wrote:
viable

People are defining "viable" in hundred different ways. For some people, "viable" means the exact same thing as "possible", and hence; all melee builds are "viable".

Do I agree? No. I think we need to factor in economy, the ease of gear acquisition, boss mechanics and smoothness of leveling before defining something as "viable". And I think 'most' melee builds are lacking in more than one of those areas. But hey, melee isn't the only archetype struggling, so who cares, right?

For some people language and the meaning of a word isn't important. Viable needs context to make sense though. It's just like when people use the term ignorant without context. What exactly is that person ignorant of?

Are we seriously saying that melee players should be satisfied with mediocre scalability and AoE because we can alredy scrape by? Ranged doesn't abuse shot gunning projectiles enough, they need to keep melee i the dirt as well. I mean damn.
Ruthless should be [Removed by Support].
Last edited by AdRonZh3Ro on Oct 18, 2023, 9:03:14 PM
"
hmcg020 wrote:
response here

Any build that can get to red tier maps is a "viable" build. The misconception here is players misunderstanding the difference between a viable build for mapping, and a viable build for bossing. They are completely different things. Not every build is intended to do Uber shaper / elder, or uber uber bosses. Not every build is intended to do uber lab with ease and with speed to do it efficiently. Not every build can deep delve, and not every build can do 5 way domain of endless conflict. These are just facts, and objectively there doesn't exist a single build that can do all of these efficiently, because by design a build has pros and cons. If you can do T16 maps, your build is viable, and if you can't more currency will make it viable. If you cant beat a boss, or some content, maybe more currency can help you get there, but objectively its probably not going to happen, for at least half the skills in the game. This isn't because the build is bad, but usually just the main skill is intended to be an entry level skill that is not intended to be viable for difficult content. Many melee skills being single target is the reason they are not played, because in order to get aoe, you have to sacrifice damage.

Cyclone is the best skill in the game and that is just a fact. Not only can it do more than enough dps for all content in the game (20m - 2b, yes 2B, I have a cyclone build that does 2B damage), it is also single handedly the most versatile skill in the entire game, while also giving built in mobility. Cyclone is so fast when built right than you can hold 1 button through an entire map in 30 seconds or less, and even if you are heavily juicing your maps, its doesn't matter when you are instantly deleting everything on the entire screen. Even as a support a reverse knockback mf cyclone tank is great in a group because you don't need damage at all.

The problem is people like you think you know so much about the game. I've played all kinds of melee skills over the last decade, so I know that melee is always viable. This whole narrative that melee sucks, melee is unviable, etc narrative has been going on for literally years. Yet melee is played every league, poe.ninja is there to prove that. The people who think melee isn't viable are just parroting what they hear, instead of just trying it themselves. With enough currency, literally any main damaging skill in the game is viable all the way through T16 map farming. Whether your build can do anything more difficult than that is entirely dependent on your gear, and the skill you are using in general.

If you think "all" melee skills are "not viable", when was the last time you played one and actually tried.
Chroniccomplainerreviews.wordpress.com

Your source for quality honest reviews to save you time and money!
Last edited by Jgizle on Oct 18, 2023, 9:11:07 PM
"
Jgizle wrote:
Any build that can get to red tier maps is a "viable" build. ... there doesn't exist a single build that can do all of these efficiently...

You don't need to use quotations if you're repeating yourself mate. Thank you for giving us your personal opinion of viable, and that it's if a build that can reach red tier maps. That clears up where you're coming from. You are correct, not every build can do all content. Most people would like to be able to farm/enjoy the end-game, or at least what they consider the most exciting content though I'd imagine.

"
Jgizle wrote:
Cyclone is the best skill in the game and that is just a fact. Not only can it do more than enough dps for all content in the game (20m - 2b, yes 2B, I have a cyclone build that does 2B damage), it is also single handedly the most versatile skill in the entire game, while also giving built in mobility. Cyclone is so fast when built right than you can hold 1 button through an entire map in 30 seconds or less, and even if you are heavily juicing your maps, its doesn't matter when you are instantly deleting everything on the entire screen. Even as a support a reverse knockback mf cyclone tank is great in a group because you don't need damage at all.

Could you PRETTY please post the PoB of your 2 billion damage cyclone build. That would definitely confirm cyclone is objectively the best skill in the game.

"
Jgizle wrote:
The problem is people like you think you know so much about the game. I've played all kinds of melee skills over the last decade, so I know that melee is always viable...

Self-awareness is a hell of a drug.

"
Jgizle wrote:
...This whole narrative that melee sucks, melee is unviable, etc narrative has been going on for literally years. Yet melee is played every league, poe.ninja is there to prove that. The people who think melee isn't viable are just parroting what they hear, instead of just trying it themselves. With enough currency, literally any main damaging skill in the game is viable all the way through T16 map farming. Whether your build can do anything more difficult than that is entirely dependent on your gear, and the skill you are using in general.

With enough currency, yep. For every 100 people players, 10 of them play melee, yep. Parroting issues brought up by other people in that 10%. If you want to call it that, sure. I almost exclusively play melee and have since Jan 2013. You're choosing your own definition of viable, then straw-manning anyone who points at flaws in archetype balancing, as someone who disagrees with your personal, completely subjective definition melee as "viable". People aren't saying melee as a whole cannot reach red-tier maps... You are pretending people are, to then make it easy for you to say they sound ridiculous.

"
Jgizle wrote:
If you think "all" melee skills are "not viable", when was the last time you played one and actually tried.

In 27 pages of replies in this single thread alone, you really wonder if anyone here actually plays melee?

I think your entire reply boils down to, you need to invest more. This kind of reductionism doesn't address the issues specific to melee, it just puts end-game behind a pay-wall that grows faster for melee.
"
hmcg020 wrote:
Garbage

Here's one example build

Spoiler
-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG4RxenepT0&ab_channel=FloppGaming

At 13m+ DPS per fireball, and the ability to spawn 150+ fireballs per second, this build can achieve 1.95B DPS pre 3.22 which added spellblade support and many other dps boosting additions

From what I can see you have played a grand total of 1 "melee" build, Blade Flurry, and on average you do not even make it to maps.

Spoiler
It is easy for most mediocre cyclone builds to achieve 20m or more dps, which is enough to kill any boss in the game in under a minute. More dps just means faster kills, and 800m DPS is enough to instantly kill anything in 2 seconds or less.
Chroniccomplainerreviews.wordpress.com

Your source for quality honest reviews to save you time and money!
When I think about it... I'm not sure if Frost Blades is considered melee but is a pretty "close-range" build (To activate the skill, not counting the projectiles that spew out afterwards)

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3430144

Pretty fun build I've been using~
"For we are not now that strength, which in old days moved Earth and Heaven. That which we are, we are; one equal strength of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will: to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Ulysses, Tennyson
Rakiata's blade is amazing. Been rolling with a melee build again and don't regret it

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info