How is this game playable in melee?

"
Moridin79 wrote:
"
ChanBalam wrote:
Melee: physically hit the monsters with an axe, sword, mace, staff or dagger to do damage. No projectiles, spikes, spells, rays, etc. Channeling is not melee. Throwing is not melee.

Given the state of the game aoe and splash count when attached to the above. I do like cleave using a big axe and large aoe. :)

What if your melee physical hit creates projectiles?

not bad
Necropolis master craft service Necropolis My IGN TreeOfDead
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2037371 Vouch
Necropolis veiled crafting all service all crafts mods
Necropolis SC master craft service Necropolis SC craft mod!
Veiled crafting Service Necropolis craft PM: TreeOfDead
"
Moridin79 wrote:
"
ChanBalam wrote:
Melee: physically hit the monsters with an axe, sword, mace, staff or dagger to do damage. No projectiles, spikes, spells, rays, etc. Channeling is not melee. Throwing is not melee.

Given the state of the game aoe and splash count when attached to the above. I do like cleave using a big axe and large aoe. :)

What if your melee physical hit creates projectiles?
For me, not melee. YMMV

Note: If the main killing is from those projectiles, not melee; if the hit is the main damage doer and the projectiles more incidental, then it could certainly be melee.
"Gratitude is wine for the soul. Go on. Get drunk." Rumi
US Mountain Time Zone
Last edited by ChanBalam on Aug 31, 2023, 9:16:05 PM
"Melee is pretty balanced, it doesn't need a buff". Meanwhile TS builds and tattos giving even more arrows:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/169sj9q/did_tuna_just_break_path_of_exile/

Can we just drop the pretense that melee isn't utter garbage compared to projectile builds?
Last edited by Z3RoNightMare on Sep 4, 2023, 11:33:09 AM
melee has been getting alot of attention but its so far behind that every patch all the other metas just turn it obsolete, its my favourite but its sad
"
Phrazz wrote:
"
666lol666 wrote:
"
Phrazz wrote:
Melee isn't in the best spot these days.....

These days? THESE DAYS? These days began in closed beta! lol

...... Sure, Cluster Jewels probably made other builds even stronger, but melee felt actually good to play.

...... Sure, stat sticks probably made other builds even stronger (mainly physical spells), but melee felt actually good to play.

See this is the main problem, even the few times when path of we hate melee wasn't a complete disaster for melee builds other builds were still superior every time! :/
German saying: Schönheit und Funktionalität in Sekundenschnelle zu ruinieren, ist dem wahren Dilettanten keine Herausforderung!
torturo: "Though, I'm really concerned, knowing by practice the capabilities of the balance team."
top2000: "let me bend your rear for a moment exile"
"
666lol666 wrote:

See this is the main problem, even the few times when path of we hate melee wasn't a complete disaster for melee builds other builds were still superior every time! :/

Hard to disagree.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
Z3RoNightMare wrote:
"Melee is pretty balanced, it doesn't need a buff". Meanwhile TS builds and tattos giving even more arrows:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/169sj9q/did_tuna_just_break_path_of_exile/

Can we just drop the pretense that melee isn't utter garbage compared to projectile builds?
The pretense will never disappear. GGG knows melee sucks, and the fact they said that only 10% of players play melee should tell you just how garbage melee is considered.

Nothing comes close to that +projectile tattoo in terms of output. Thank god ranged builds got such a substantial Buff!

Melee issues, a sample list:
-Accuracy, which heavily impacts crit
-Absolutely requiring Totems
-Proximity to damage
-Requiring higher defences
-Distance from being able to leech
-Mana problems
-Build costs
-Clear speed
-Attack range
-Ranged builds get 2 6-links and quivers lol
-Ranged can off-screen multiple screens worth of mobs
-Less damage output
-Less AOE
-Every single game mechanic or content release being harder for melee, without fail
-Sanctum? LOL. Blight? Harder. Expedition Harder. Breach? LOL. Legion? LOOOOL. And so on.
-Much more difficult to MF as melee
-Turning melee into projectile attacks to make it good
-lightning strike good? Gut the utter shit out of it so now nobody plays it
-Boneshatter good...but you need to be happy with MASSIVELY damaging yourself just to use it, amplifying just how much more tanky melee has to be
-Only real representation of melee is either self-damage boneshatter, or melee to ranged conversion lol
-Weapon scaling more important
-Banners, warcries, stances, Blood Rage, Rage, Berserk, etc, require active managing to maximize potential
-Dual-wielding wands gives 100% benefit of each wand, have a guess what dual wielding melee gets
-Less reservation available melee area of passive tree

Melee can get some excellent single-target with enough mirrored gear though I assure you!

No one can hear you poop in the forrest.
Last edited by hmcg020 on Oct 17, 2023, 5:46:18 PM
If you only play melee, you never know what you missing, so the game is just fine!
"Gratitude is wine for the soul. Go on. Get drunk." Rumi
US Mountain Time Zone
Every melee build is viable. The difference is it costs more currency to get it to that point. With certain skills like cyclone with enough currency it is the best skill in the entire game. Add on the fact that any build can be played with cyclone and its kind of boundary breaking.

Now what about true melee skills like viper strike, heavy strike, ect. Of course their not as good just from the fact they are single target. However by design you are also not intended to try and do aoe with them, but instead use for bossing. Of the aoe melee skills, I dunno like molten strike, earthquake, sunder, etc they are all good skills, and have viable builds.

Melee has it the hardest from range, to dependency on a very strong weapon, to dependency on many buffs both for dps and survival, not to mention mobility.

when ever I see people complain about melee, I just see someone who isn't good at the game. only people who can't get currency complain about melee. everyone else who enjoys melee has no problems cause they can afford to fix the problems.
Chroniccomplainerreviews.wordpress.com

Your source for quality honest reviews to save you time and money!
"
Jgizle wrote:
Every melee build is viable. The difference is it costs more currency to get it to that point. With certain skills like cyclone with enough currency it is the best skill in the entire game. Add on the fact that any build can be played with cyclone and its kind of boundary breaking.

I'm not going to argue with your personal definition of viable, though how on earth are you going to claim Cyclone is the best skill in the game? Aoe? damage? single target? clear speed? It's by a very long shot not the best in any of those categories. Is it because it's used to trigger spells that actually do damage? Is it because it has low mana cost? I think that's another personal definition conflated with fact.

"
Jgizle wrote:
Now what about true melee skills like viper strike, heavy strike, ect. Of course their not as good just from the fact they are single target. However by design you are also not intended to try and do aoe with them, but instead use for bossing. Of the aoe melee skills, I dunno like molten strike, earthquake, sunder, etc they are all good skills, and have viable builds.

With the state of the game as it is now, you must take those single target skills and put splash, additional target, etc on them to make them viable for the vast majority of gameplay. You can't stun bosses effectively anymore so heavy strike lost its main draw too. Again, you're using your personal definition of viable as a synonym for capable of clearing all content the game has to offer; which is why most people play games: to clear the content they have to offer. Not to get to level 87, lose to shaper, then say "my build is viable". Forget about deli and ubers at this point with that rationale.

"
Jgizle wrote:
Melee has it the hardest from range, to dependency on a very strong weapon, to dependency on many buffs both for dps and survival, not to mention mobility.

I agree with everything you've said here.

"
Jgizle wrote:
when ever I see people complain about melee, I just see someone who isn't good at the game. only people who can't get currency complain about melee. everyone else who enjoys melee has no problems cause they can afford to fix the problems.

Nice. every single time someone complains about melee, it's because they lack of skill AND they're poor. That must be why only 10% of the player base plays melee; because the other 90% are poor AND lack skill. What an unbelievably educated and genuinely though provoking take.

One final point. In order to not be poor, you either need to be consistently, extremely lucky, or you need to be able to effectively farm the game's hardest content. A build that's merely viable by your standards will never be able to consistently farm 60-100% deli T16s, or ubers. And so how are they meant to get skill and gain wealth with a build, barely capable of alch and go?

No one can hear you poop in the forrest.
Last edited by hmcg020 on Oct 18, 2023, 2:50:05 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info