How is this game playable in melee?

"
Ain_Soph_Aur wrote:
Melee has been bad for a long time.

I'm hoping part of the reason we haven't seen any melee love is it is a huge part of the rework for POE2 and can not be added just yet.

Spoiler
Let me enjoy my copium

Ah yes, nothing says melee like 'crossbows' and 'look at how cool our arrow physics are'.

Spoiler
No. :)
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Apr 18, 2023, 11:06:00 PM
Boneshatter is actually a strike skill.
"
Baharoth15 wrote:
My guess is, he want's to increase his clear. I've got slower projectiles + the slow from the mastery on my build and the projectiles are all focussed in my direct vicinity. Damage and fast movement still make for somewhat decent clear but if clearspeed is your focus then you want projectile speed. The single target is absurd anyway so i guess it's not needed that much, especially with good gear. I am curious how long people will need to figure out what's going on and even more curious how GGG intends to fix this next league. This is leaps and bounds above the powerlevel they like.

Yeah I saw your build is focused on both outgoing and returning projectiles.

Last league, I briefly tried Molten Strike on my lightning strike character with just Slower Projectiles and nothing else. Damage was fine, but the multi-essence monsters with homing fiery orbs are far too difficult. There is only a 1 second DPS-ing window before I have to run again. However, Vengeant Cascade increases proj speed, so with that anoint, I might have to use BOTH slow cluster passives (or mastery) and slower proj gem.
sad but this game is not a arpg anymore

this game turn too be a shooter game is ridicule

https://youtu.be/PB4v1UUMdOo

i`m done
play my first rpg on the intellivision :)
Chris Wilson"I want to make sure that melee classes are as good as they can be"
The weird thing is I recently found a shooting game/bullet heaven clone that is explicitly inspired by Path of Exile and I really quite like it. For a long time I thought it was the fact that PoE had become more shooter-like that I really disliked, and I've made...a few posts on the matter, but I've discovered it's not that at all. It's that it won't commit to it fully and keeps trying to have its cake (melee skills/weapons) and eat it too (pew pew zoom zoom kaboom).

The two are not compatible. You can have melee-like skills (again, see Vampire Survivor and its starting weapon: a whip) but sooner or later, they're basically big and crazy enough that you just can't in good faith call the gameplay 'melee'.

So fuck it. You're either a slower, more measured game where 'melee' makes sense OR you're a beautiful mess in which the main character is basically a touhou boss. And both can be a hell of a lot of fun.

People have made very clear they don't like a slower, more measured PoE and I don't blame them. You have to make your game that way from the start, so that people who have been conditioned to treating your game like a shoot-em-up aren't suddenly getting whiplash from basic enemies suddenly being serious tanks. And let's be honest: PoE has always been on this trajectory. Spell totems go all the way back to beta. As does the supremacy of GMP ranged attacks and spells. For a while it was possible to fight that tide but eh, why bother?

As an aside, it's interesting to see Blizzard try to avoid the same pitfall by nerfing necromancers and wizards *before release*, but there is still a pretty big gap in efficacy between melee and ranged, especially in dungeons and against dungeon bosses. Good on them for trying though, I guess.

So -- how is this game playable in melee? Easy. You accept GGG's definition of melee. If the tag says 'melee' and it's not working, you aren't working the system hard enough. Just don't expect it to feel like 'melee' as it works in other games.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
NOT everyone wants to play Boneshatter

and just because ONE skill out of like 20 options is doing well does not make Melee fine!
"
Khallis wrote:
NOT everyone wants to play Boneshatter

and just because ONE skill out of like 20 options is doing well does not make Melee fine!

Boneshatter working with 1.5 builds, game now is not like a "make your own build", but more like sudoku where you have to fill the fields correctly otherwise you lose
How can ANYONE argue PoE is still 'make your own build' when the overwhelming advice I've seen given to newcomers is 'watch a build guide'? It's like saying you too can be a nculear scientist if you just hang around a lab for a while. Without some sort of guidance, all you're likely to do is maybe invent a new and inefficient way of blowing shit up. Which isn't science so much as anti-science, unless the goal is to blow shit up, in which case I can guarantee Oppenheimer's already beaten you to the punch there.

I agree with galazy brain above, I can promise that 99.9% of players cannot for the life of them design a build themselves.

Also I got a boneshatter at 63 will let you know how it goes, during campaign it was very strong, but I spent 10c on a mega OP 2H weapon, which outclassed anything you'd ever find on the ground.

As in it was max for it's player level.

SO maybe that was why boneshatter is/was OP, but we'll see in maps

I heard that it can do all ubers last league, so we'll see..
Last edited by Mmmtastyy on Apr 20, 2023, 5:06:09 AM
For a melee skil to be viable it needs to overlap at least 2-3 other mechanics so the actual output dps is good enough for clearing 16 maps comfortably..

Sadly most of the skills by themselves arent enough for that.

When the game began it was absolutelly enough to have any skill 6 linked and the clear speed was good.

50k dps was alot.

Nowdays u need tens of millions real dps to be able to reach endgame..
Except few outliners melee is definetly dead..

They killed most champion and glady builds with their ,,vision,,.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info