Launch Date and World of Warcraft

I never played WoW and completed CP2077 twice *shrugs*.

They didn't consider wow as threatening as cp probably and they didn't want to miss the holiday window so they took a chance.
Second-class poe gamer
"
Bleu42 wrote:
"
Far more player overlap between PoE and what Cyberpunk 2077 was hyped up to be than PoE and *any* MMO, or possibly any Game As Service. I can elaborate (and have, several times, but I keep deleting it because it seems sort of obvious to me) but only if requested.

I'm genuinely curious how you know that as a fact. That 'far more players overlap between poe and CP2077 then *any* MMO'. Sales data alone even when put up against player numbers and retention in PoE doesn't actually prove anything, since two games can be played at once. And my money is on the constantly updated, millions of players MMO genre over a storyline game.

I suppose I should have prefaced with 'I believe there is' because it's honestly not something anyone can know for a fact but instead sort of infer from various factors.

But eh, I'll read this as an implicit 'please elaborate' so here we go. See if I can remember what I typed/deleted/typed/deleted...

Firstly, I actually said in both drafts that while it is certainly possible to play two games at once in a 'spare time' sense (I'm currently juggling six or seven), it is impossible to play two games at once in an absolute sense. There has to be some sort of multitasking dividing the allocated seconds and minutes. But that's really just the lead-in to why I said what I said.

The real key is that different games (and different game types) have different levels of demand time-wise. Now, CP2077 was hyped up to be an immersive, single player open world experience that would suck the player in for a relatively short time, with no egregious DLCs or events or whatever else. In my recent experience, it is exactly that: I played pretty hard for about a month and then uninstalled it, very satisfied indeed. Others play longer but they don't really have to, not to experience the bulk of the game. In other words, it was and is a Game As Product, a finite experience relying more on the quality of the time than the quantity. It can therefore be a good 'break' from the other type of game prevalent these days, the Game As A Service, which is a jealous thing very much designed to suck up as much of its players' time as possible and on a longer term IF possible because instead of being a product, a one-off property purchase give or take, the Game As A Service treats its players like renters, even if quite often it's okay to squat with the bare minimum of creature comforts.

PoE, WoW, and I'd argue most if not all MMOs fall under the GAAS label. It is much, MUCH harder to juggle multiple games of this type than it is Games as Product (as I said, I'm juggling a handful of games atm and not a single one is a GAAS). Not just literally but also mentally and emotionally: GAAS are notorious for jockeying to become a gamer's primary and if possible exclusive pastime, a consuming experience that rather sneakily ushers its players over the line of 'casual' to the point where any outsider would look at how much they play and how deeply into that game's culture they've become absorbed and think them hopelessly addicted. There's a reason most GAAS have an identifying label for their regular players: merely playing a GAAS regularly is a sort of identity. PoE has Exiles. Warframe has Tenno. Guild Wars 2 has Tyrians (a bit of a misnomer these days, given Cantha's in play). FFIX has Warriors of Light. And so on. At any rate, there is rarely a Game as Product equivalent, although I've seen some hybrid Product/Service games (likely the future of gaming, honestly) do it: Inquisitors for Inquisitor Martyr; Agents for The Division; No Man's Sky has Travellers. Still, not that common. Yet.

SO that's why I said there's more overlap in terms of playerbase between a game like CP2077 and PoE than with an MMO and PoE. The former combination doesn't really compete in any real way (which is part of why GGG misread the room so hard when they reacted to CP2077's impending release -- not only was CP2077 far from ready for release, it was never a huge threat to PoE beyond a fairly short term lull; otoh maybe GGG are scared of that? It was weird), whereas the latter is two demanding, identity-based Games As Service where choosing to play one *substantially* is choosing to not-play the other *substantially* and both games are, by design, only really rewarding if you play them *substantially*.

Most likely the greatest area of overlap with PoE and an MMO like WoW would be in those who turn up to one GAAS for a big update, play it hard and fast, and then seek distraction in another GAAS' big update while waiting for the first's next big update. In this way, a player can skip from one GAAS to another, but I should hope said player realises this is far from the usual behaviour of a hypothetical average gamer.

There's a reason FFXIV posed a serious threat to WOW and it wasn't just Endwalker. It was the very possible reality of a large number of long-time WoW players doing the almost unthinkable and choosing a different MMO as their primary game, despite the obvious problem with doing so: starting over as a sprout in a 'new' GAAS after spending X years devoted to becoming powerful in your main/only one is a huge deterrent. It's part sunk cost fallacy and part extreme dislike of being the newbie after years of being a 'major' player. When players do that, there's something reaaaally wrong with the game they're leaving behind. An MMO exodus is usually the result of a shutdown.

And PoE has it doubly good here: plenty of Exiles would be loath to walk away from their investments (financial or otherwise) AND, at least for now, there's nowhere they'd go even if they did walk, at least nowhere of a comparable experience. the ARPG GAAS market is, right now, an absolute monopoly -- because the competitors all had to make the same mistake: they tried to monetise that which PoE (at least the international version) never will.

Sure, a lot of people were expected to play Cp2077 but it's not like it has any of the hallmarks of the so-called PoE killers. Exiles weren't going to start playing it and go, damn, I think I'll replace PoE with this. Not in any real long-term sense. Hell, not even in the mid-term.

Only a GAAS can kill or even threaten another GAAS, and that's including various forms of self-destruction.

Like I said, seemed kind of obvious to me why PoE players are more likely to also play a game like CP2077 than another GAAS, and I have my doubts my attempts at explaining it really made it any clearer but eh I gave it a shot.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Nov 28, 2022, 4:59:59 AM
"
scottv729 wrote:
Am I the only person that feels this way?

Yes
Last edited by Sazzbot on Nov 29, 2022, 8:58:08 AM
"
Sazzbot wrote:
"
scottv729 wrote:
Am I the only person that feels this way?

Yes

Well the good news is that we will see here shortly if WoW means anything to PoE.

Maybe it does, maybe it doesnt, the numbers won't lie.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Mind blown people still play that garbage WoW, there is plenty of good games out there to play and they do not charge monthly feee. Put that nonsense WOW down haha
If you enjoy both games, then enjoy both games together. Let go of some of your OCD and just play for fun.

I can see by your 40/40 that you are a completionist, but maybe just reel it in a bit, and you will feel less bad about not doing everything at the same time.

/2cents
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

Numbers never lie, sure, but they 'always' tell more than one story. And after the shipwreck that was 3.19, I'm sure some WoW fan would advocate for the (possible) failure of 3.20 to be WoW's fault. And by all means, he may be right, but there isn't really a foolproof way of knowing.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
Phrazz wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

Numbers never lie, sure, but they 'always' tell more than one story. And after the shipwreck that was 3.19, I'm sure some WoW fan would advocate for the (possible) failure of 3.20 to be WoW's fault. And by all means, he may be right, but there isn't really a foolproof way of knowing.

There's a way to estimate though.

I mean, if the launch number is:
1 - on par with Ritual/Scourge/AN/Lake or better, then WoW had no effect.
2 - on par with Sentinel or better, then WoW had no effect and it's purely Kalandra.
3 - worse than Sentinel and better than Expedition, then it's difficult to tell.
4 - worse than Expedition, then WoW had a large effect.
I am playing dota...enough with GGG's vision fist in the mouth and Blizzards idiocy.
Never invite Vorana, Last To Fall at a beer party.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info