Ruthless is a mistake and will likely kill the game

A lot of people will of course try ruthless, because its new and shiny and people want to flex and test their might.

A large portion of those people will turn away from ruthless within a short amount of time, because of the way it is.

It's just advertisement and herd logic, people want to play the new and the shiny and once they don't like it, they quit it. Always has been like this with every new trend.

I just say let those play who want to play and figure it out by themselves. I'll probably also try it for a time, but I don't think I'll stick with it.
This kind of optional machoistic mode exists in other games too, those games didn't die. It could even benefit the normal mode: Now that those extreme hardcore players have their own mode could GGG soften their stance on normal mode difficulty.

BUT we just don't know at the moment, we just don't know whatever those new post-archnemesis mods will result in stronger or weaker rare monsters. Nothing in the archnem manifesto directly addresses this, maybe is this omission intentional, we just don't know.

But lets take some copium and hope that exit of hardcore players from normal mode to ruthless mode will let them balance normal mode around the now far more casual audience of normal mode.
Last edited by kolpo on Nov 26, 2022, 11:36:57 AM
"
openup001 wrote:
"
emulatin wrote:
don't worry, ruthless is a big meme

i give it 2 weeks tops before everyone goes back to normal league

2 weeks? lol 3 days max

I hardly think that people are going to finish the league challenges in 3 days LOL. People say that every league, but there are always still tons of players still playing... Maybe 5% of players will quit after 3 days, but that's just because POE is just not for them.
"
But this is just uber boring....

...this is just beyond my comprehension.

You'll have a better time understanding the human race, if you'd just realize that "fun" is subjective. What you find boring, others might find fun. Hell, you don't even have to understand it, just accept it.

Personally, I understand very well why some people look forward to Ruthless. Especially those people that have solved everything there is to solve in PoE. Beat everything there is to beat. People able to progress through the game in a few days. "Easy" becomes boring fast to some people. A LOT of people value the progression in PoE. I do too. When the progression is gone/over, there's not much game left for that character. Ruthless lets you value that progression longer.

And before some kid comes in here and says "Ruthless isn't hard, blablabla": In Ruthless you WILL be fighting 'every' mob in the game under geared. You won't be able to tank as many hits as you're used to, meaning that your reactions becomes more important, your positioning becomes more important, your flask management/timings becomes more important and your monster/build/boss knowledge becomes more important. If someone can define "hard" in a way that doesn't separate Ruthless from the rest of the game, I'm eager to read that.

Will I play Ruthless? Someday I will. These days I don't think I have the time, and I'm probably too fond of melee.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Last edited by Phrazz on Nov 26, 2022, 11:52:01 AM
That's your subjective casual opinion.
I think the main reason I won't play ruthless is because when GGG introduced it, they said that very few players will make it to maps due to the extreme difficulty, and because I'm sick of the acts, I like to get to maps as quick as I can.......... So there is no way in hell I'm going to want to spend 90% of my time in acts, like in Ruthless...
"
"
emulatin wrote:

Literarily this. Why would anyone waste their time on Ruthless is beyond me.

Because by the end of the first weekend in every recent league my character;

Has a 6 link or 2.
Wearing crafted / traded gear.
Is in t16 maps.
Nearly complete atlas tree.
Level 90+.
Maxed gems.

And everything from acts 1 through 10 and maps tier 1 through 16 are mind numbing easy. Uniques aren't exciting to find and rare items will almost never be worn, just vendored. And the only drops that matter are just currency, or something to sell for currency.

If Ruthless doesn't sound like something fun you'd try, then walk away, it isn't for you.
"
Bleu42 wrote:
"
"
emulatin wrote:

Has a 6 link or 2.
Is in t16 maps.
Level 90+.
Maxed gems.

And everything from acts 1 through 10 and maps tier 1 through 16 are mind numbing easy. Uniques aren't exciting to find and rare items will almost never be worn, just vendored. And the only drops that matter are just currency, or something to sell for currency.

If Ruthless doesn't sound like something fun you'd try, then walk away, it isn't for you.

While having 150 deaths on the clock probably by that time and you want Ruthless? Ok
"
"
Bleu42 wrote:
"

Has a 6 link or 2.
Is in t16 maps.
Level 90+.
Maxed gems.

While having 150 deaths on the clock probably by that time and you want Ruthless? Ok

Lol THAT'S your reply? Damn I better delete poe I got wrecked
"
Virtually no new assets at all.

The only new asset I can think of are the "Uncarved Skill Gem"s (or whatever the name was.
Apart from that, they just took stuff away and didn't add any. :D
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info