widescreen resolution removed from the game.

Well... i guess you had enough time to react by now, GGG.

I'll start by turning my steam review into a negative one and head over to reddit.
Folks, you're way off topic. Competitive play, advantages yay or nay, etc, have nothing to do with the situation. According to GGG:

"
Previously it was possible to manually set the aspect ratio of the Path of Exile client to be very short and wide, allowing you to see an unintended amount of the level at once. A limit needed to be set. Because of server serialisation distances, this maximum aspect ratio is currently set to 21:9. This is the widest that we can currently go before we start hitting the cutoff where entities and effects vanish. We are looking at being able to increase this in the future.

This note was accidentally missed from the patch notes. We're very sorry for that oversight.

The thing is, the existing black bars cannot be solving the problem mentioned above, because the client is still rendering the game underneath.

As for why this hasn't been addressed further, well, that's not hard to figure out. Since the bug report was locked on Aug 28th, there have been 900 new bugs submitted in the forums alone. Add in the fact that the league has been very poorly received - as witnessed by the 5000+ bad reviews posted on Steam since league start, the constant release of patch after patch in an attempt to balance difficulty / risk / reward... which doesn't seem to be working, player retention this league is terrible, if not the worst ever, it's close. It's worse than the last league, which was worse than the one prior to that - really starts to look as if GGG is in a race to the bottom.

IMHO, I don't think GGG has had the time to spare to analyze how important this issue is. Admittedly, it doesn't affect the entire player base, however, the ones it does have spent a disproportionate amount of money on supporting GGG. Not a huge shock, the folks that have literally thousands of dollars of disposable income to spend on fancy monitors and high end graphics cards don't seem to mind supporting a development team that produces excellent entertainment content.

This game and it's widescreen support is the reason I put together a triple monitor 5760 x 1080 setup in 2018. I switched that out for a Samsung G9 in 2021. Why would I continue to support a game that doesn't support my hardware?
Current league IGN: Teldra_Anc_LAD
Feel free to message me in game if I'm on.
"
grimjack68 wrote:
Folks, you're way off topic. Competitive play, advantages yay or nay, etc, have nothing to do with the situation. According to GGG:

The thing is, the existing black bars cannot be solving the problem mentioned above, because the client is still rendering the game underneath.

As for why this hasn't been addressed further, well, that's not hard to figure out. Since the bug report was locked on Aug 28th, there have been 900 new bugs submitted in the forums alone. Add in the fact that the league has been very poorly received - as witnessed by the 5000+ bad reviews posted on Steam since league start, the constant release of patch after patch in an attempt to balance difficulty / risk / reward... which doesn't seem to be working, player retention this league is terrible, if not the worst ever, it's close. It's worse than the last league, which was worse than the one prior to that - really starts to look as if GGG is in a race to the bottom.

IMHO, I don't think GGG has had the time to spare to analyze how important this issue is. Admittedly, it doesn't affect the entire player base, however, the ones it does have spent a disproportionate amount of money on supporting GGG. Not a huge shock, the folks that have literally thousands of dollars of disposable income to spend on fancy monitors and high end graphics cards don't seem to mind supporting a development team that produces excellent entertainment content.

This game and it's widescreen support is the reason I put together a triple monitor 5760 x 1080 setup in 2018. I switched that out for a Samsung G9 in 2021. Why would I continue to support a game that doesn't support my hardware?

the bigger problem is that they can't just increase the aggro range due to the invisible projectile bug.

the 2 most obvious solutions were to increase aggro range or reduce the resolution.

of course, (like i already mentioned) the invisible projectile bug has been known for nearly a decade. they generally just ignored the complaints about it, so now it's kind of ironic. i'm not sure they even can fix it, at this point.

but now this (again) will just be strawmanned as 'some irrelevant pvp complaint' or whatever.
[Removed by Support]
"Your forum signature was removed as it was considered to be inappropriate and a breach of our Code of Conduct."

...it was quotes. from the forum. lolz!
Last edited by robmafia on Sep 8, 2022, 3:47:42 PM
"
grimjack68 wrote:

IMHO, I don't think GGG has had the time to spare to analyze how important this issue is. Admittedly, it doesn't affect the entire player base, however, the ones it does have spent a disproportionate amount of money on supporting GGG.

This has pretty much been the tone of the last year or so worth of patches, and sums up almost every current issue.

They don't have the resources to develop PoE 2 and keep up the normal patch cycle at an acceptable quality level. They barely did before PoE 2 was announced. The debt has been piling up for a while now and we're reaching a breaking point for a lot of players.
"
robmafia wrote:
"
grimjack68 wrote:

the bigger problem is that they can't just increase the aggro range due to the invisible projectile bug.

the 2 most obvious solutions were to increase aggro range or reduce the resolution.

of course, (like i already mentioned) the invisible projectile bug has been known for nearly a decade. they generally just ignored the complaints about it, so now it's kind of ironic. i'm not sure they even can fix it, at this point.

but now this (again) will just be strawmanned as 'some irrelevant pvp complaint' or whatever.
I don't see why they need to do either. The game was working perfectly fine last league - and for every league since 2018, at least, when I got into wide screen gaming.

So there are monsters on screen that don't instantly charge into battle. How is this a problem?
Current league IGN: Teldra_Anc_LAD
Feel free to message me in game if I'm on.
GGG is right and widescreen is wrong in a competitive context, it allows corner screen lame stuff.
This is why it will never be introduced back again, else imagine all the normal players complaining about this. I would not hesitate a second to inform all others players about this unbalance, here, and on Reddit.

Have a nice 32:9 day lmao
Last edited by Universalis on Sep 8, 2022, 4:17:20 PM
"
Universalis wrote:

*pours some whiskey from a 200 dollar bottle* Cheers to you my cheese on toast enjoying friend. Have a good one :)
"
grimjack68 wrote:
I don't see why they need to do either. The game was working perfectly fine last league - and for every league since 2018, at least, when I got into wide screen gaming.

So there are monsters on screen that don't instantly charge into battle. How is this a problem?

...oh. by your previous post, i figured you understood that this was a 2+ factor issue.

i guess you think it's fine/intended that you were able to see extra stuff/idle mobs.

[Removed by Support]
"Your forum signature was removed as it was considered to be inappropriate and a breach of our Code of Conduct."

...it was quotes. from the forum. lolz!
"
Universalis wrote:
GGG is right and widescreen is wrong in a competitive context, it allows corner screen lame stuff.
This is why it will never be introduced back again, else imagine all the normal players complaining about this. I would not hesitate a second to inform all others players about this unbalance, here, and on Reddit.

Exactly. Despite its appearance as a very uncompetitive PVE game, and despite the fact that approximately 5 people worldwide play PVP, path of exile is actually a pure competitive experience at its heart, it's not fair for anyone to have any kind of P2W advantage of any kind.

That's why, from this time forth, GGG must implement a 1080p 30fps cap. Not everyone can afford a rich boi PC in this economy, you know. And there's a lot of people who play on a steam deck or controller - they're at such a disadvantage to anyone using a high end mouse and keyboard, it's just not fair. GGG, please fix this and remove mouse and keyboard support so that the game is fair and competitive again.

Or you could, you know... reject this kind of silly meme-tier logic and fix this.
Last edited by Zucktheduck on Sep 8, 2022, 5:40:21 PM

Diablo 3.

Supporting 32:9

Has competitive greater rift ladders.

Fix your game GGG.
Last edited by XeoTech on Sep 8, 2022, 5:50:59 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info