Sony servers are restarting in:
They should be back up in approximately .

Why so much hate again Cosmetic MTX in D4?

"
DarthSki44 wrote:

It's a win win for both whales with money, and for the Devs to support live service. As lomg as as they dont design armor to look like absolute ass without skins this is totally fine.

And you pay extra for something that should been included and pay for. Let's cut the game into pieces and sell them like what they did with DLC. And thus it is a lost for everyone else since cosmetics is locked behind a paywall. That is fine with you, doesn't mean it is fine for everyone else. You are you, and me is me.
"
awesome999 wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

It's a win win for both whales with money, and for the Devs to support live service. As lomg as as they dont design armor to look like absolute ass without skins this is totally fine.

And you pay extra for something that should been included and pay for. Let's cut the game into pieces and sell them like what they did with DLC. And thus it is a lost for everyone else since cosmetics is locked behind a paywall. That is fine with you, doesn't mean it is fine for everyone else. You are you, and me is me.

Well sure, but no one is making that argument? All the skins are optional so, just like PoE buy or dont buy whatever you want in terms of the mtx.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"
awesome999 wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

Well sure, but no one is making that argument? All the skins are optional so, just like PoE buy or dont buy whatever you want in terms of the mtx.

Playing the game is optional too.
"
Tuomari wrote:
It's true that you can't but exp or gear with real money BUT with premium stash tabs you can trade much easier and it also speeds up your game if you have special stash tabs like currency so you don't have to stop and play inventory tetris.

An over exaggeration in the extreme...and still not pay to win no matter how hard you try to construe it.
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
"
lagwin1980 wrote:
"
Tuomari wrote:
It's true that you can't but exp or gear with real money BUT with premium stash tabs you can trade much easier and it also speeds up your game if you have special stash tabs like currency so you don't have to stop and play inventory tetris.

An over exaggeration in the extreme...and still not pay to win no matter how hard you try to construe it.

False.

Some people consider 1% PTW is still PTW. People can play without the currency, fragment and map tabs but POE will really suck. Do you play POE without those tabs? Did you spend money on those tabs? You paid.

Streamers are winning and they do it with a LOT of stash tabs.
Pour one out for my Syndicate homies.

Complex PoE mechanics are getting Diablofied.

GGG: What's better than stable income? Random income of course.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5mPFqgjYhs

Somehow forgot to check out SkillUp's take on the DIV beta. As usual, he is balanced and comprehensive, and he isn't afraid to admit that he basically said, 'Diablo Immortal is cool, and hopefully Blizzard don't ruin it with the monetisation' -- and the fact that they did threads his entire breakdown. If they can once, they can again. No matter what. I would argue that the fact that DI was aimed squarely at the mobile market while DIV is being treated as a triple A product is significant, but eh, we will see.

That aside, his reactions are pretty much what I expected: major praise for the narrative design, the artistic choice to go back to Diablo 2 AND use old Italian Masters' work as reference, the scope of the world, the non-linear quest design, the (so far) smaller mob density, so on and so forth. Diablo IV is looking to me like the Guild Wars 2 of ARPGs, . If Path of Exile is the Guild Wars 1 of ARPGs (and it is), then Diablo IV is looking like the Guild Wars 2. Where the former was all about skill configurations producing very satisfying combinations in a modular setting, the latter opted for a more open world, action-orientated feel with dynamic events, world bosses, and mounts.

I haven't preordered DIV because I don't have to. I didn't preorder Elden Ring either, still bought it a day or two after release, ironically after I discovered SkillUp and his video convinced me it actually was as good as the hype. I resisted that hype, because I could. I lost nothing doing so.

I'm not even that interested in getting early access to DIV -- and that to me is the only reason anyone would pre-order a triple A game with more funding than God.

I think we need a term that fits between 'fucking hyped AF' and 'couldn't give a single fucking shit these devs are trash'. 'Cautiously optimistic' is good but doesn't really roll off the tongue. It is, however, how I feel and how SkillUp recommends any veteran to ARPGs should feel.

Gun to head I think Blizzard know they've too much to lose fucking up DIV's monetisation -- this is their one chance to reclaim the ARPG throne (and possibly restore a modicum of gamer good will) with a triple A home run. Diablo Immortal was never going to be that. So if 10 is 'I wet my pants and in a good way thinking about Lilith' and 1 is 'I'd rather fellate Lucille the Baseball Bat than touch this game', I'm at 6 or 7. Not quite pre-order, but probably release day purchase assuming no glaring issues.

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Dec 28, 2022, 5:39:18 PM
I'm old fashioned. When I pay $60+ for a game, I expect to get access to the whole game. When I play a F2P game, I expect to pay for the game though MTX's. When a game charges you full price - and in addition brings you battlepasses, MTX's and whatnot, I get grumpy pretty fast - because paying full price, those are things I don't want to see. And as long as we're "fine with it", it will just keep getting worse.

Makes me think of BMW and heated seats. Meh.

F2P is one thing, and mostly not a positive thing. But playing a F2P game, you have certain expectations - because you know the game isn't really free. When we're starting to have the same expectations for games we're paying full price for too, I personally think we're getting too far off the path.

One thing is certain, though: Talking shit about the F2P model - and at the same time being OK with full-priced games having the same "F2P elements", seems rather hypocritical. At least to me.

But again; as long as developers CAN do it, and 'most' gamers are OK with it, it will be the norm. Hell, it already is, I guess. We still have some gems out there, though, like Elden Ring which sold A LOT of copies. But FIFA still makes way more money - every single year - with their Ultimate Team shenanigans.

I'll just leave this here: https://youtu.be/g16heGLKlTA
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Last edited by Phrazz on Dec 28, 2022, 12:17:44 PM
I used to feel that way but I've also come to accept that premium GAAS is its own thing distinct from F2P GAAS. As long as a game receives additional content after its release, it also needs some funding. In the old days, we bought expansions (or expansions packaged as new games: eg Brood War, Frozen Throne, etc) or we just bought new titles in a series that, really, weren't that different from what came before (Sierra games are a classic example there). Now it's funded with cosmetic battlepasses and mtxes. I can't speak to whether or not that's good value as I don't know the budget for games, but it is the way it is. And there is no amount of harrumphing or protest that will change that.

I'll still take the current premium GAAS model over straight premium subscription, which was probably the core GAAS model for well over a decade. Look at Everquest: paid core product, over 10 paid expansions, *and* a monthly subscription. And plenty of use paid it gladly. Feel free to call us saps but you'd better believe we got our money's worth.

So I think you're not so much old-fashioned as just limited in perspective. There have always been more financial models than just 'discrete product' and 'f2p GAAS'.

The BMW heated seats thing was pretty funny but yeah, we are slowly tumbling towards a subscription-based society in which we own nothing. A conversation well beyond the scope of this thread.

As for talking shit about the F2P model, that's equally limited in perspective. F2P spans anything from Marvel Snap to (give or take) Black Desert and Lost Ark. From Elder Scrolls Online to Clash of Clans. To games we blessed Westerners don't even know about but are horrifically pay to win because they can be. I'll talk shit about PoE's model because I genuinely don't think supporters are getting what they deserve (but always get what they pay for, because of course). We know roughly how much GGG bring in a year, and how much they charge for their high end mtxes, and you still don't have a decent fucking social UI, mtx previews, a trade system, a respectable guild setup, PC voice acting in half the game, accessibility options, or zone transitions that don't look like placeholders. What do you get? Leagues most of you don't like half the time, more skill and gear options to mostly ignore, and some far-off expansion being plugged as a sequel/new game.

So yeah, I'm happy to dunk on those 960 GGGold armour sets and $480US supporter packs.

Elden Ring was an anomaly and we both know it. Actually, I'd say that about FromSoft in general. And it's not even a Japanese vs Western design thing: Capcom love to mtx gouge, which is why I'm genuinely fucking worried about Dragon's Dogma 2.

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Dec 28, 2022, 5:58:40 PM
"
To games we blessed Westerners don't even know about but are horrifically pay to win because they can be.

The famous quote. 'It's not fair if you don't let us cheat'

Western release get nerfed P2W wise. In a sense you pay more money for much less value. Arguably you want to get more value for less money in a P2W game. People don't understand that less cheating and not cheating hurt you in a system where people are "allowed" to cheat or cheating is rampant.

Maybe they do understand that, they just don't accept that.

God damn it, I was like don't be 420, don't be 420...oh well.

But yes, you are right.

OTOH, this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GXLVn73yRY

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info