Effects Feedback Thread (Spells ,Waterfalls ,Falling leaves ect.)

The most performance hungry skill-effect feedback

Hey Russell,
since optimizing performance is pretty important in my opinion, i thought it might help if i list the skills that for me and for people from my friendlist cause insane fps drops:

Str Gems:
  • Glacial Hammer - Skill causes a screen freeze the first time it is used. This goes for both players and monsters using it.
  • Lightning Strike - Fps drops occur here for like 10 hits before it runs ok again
  • Molten Shell - On first explosion the Molten Shell freezes the game for seconds

Dex Gems:
  • Detonate Dead - First explosion causes freeze for some players (not me though)
  • Hatred - The Aura effect on Monsters slows the game down by about 50%
  • Poison Arrow (Chaos Throw Monsters) - As soon as more than 1 of them attacks, game becomes unplayable and sometimes even crashes.
  • Ice Shot - Game freezes on impact on first hit

Int Gems:
  • Arctic Breath - On impact the game freezes for several seconds
  • Discharge - Complete freeze of the game for like 2 seconds - this also goes for the flicker strike discharge monsters
  • Freezing Pulse - When used with GMP the attack makes groupplay a nightmare
  • Ice Spear - No idea why, but makes game run poorly too
  • Incinerate - On players when used with LMP/GMP game runs poorly. On Monsters the blue incinerate makes game unplayable even without LMP

Thx for reading =)
IGN: Darkrox (not my main, just for easy contact)
~ Yes i'm the Darkrox from Runes of Magic - World's #1 Guild Pravum 2009 - 2011 ~
Last edited by Darkrox on May 10, 2013, 12:02:08 PM
"

Hey Russell,
since optimizing performance is pretty important in my opinion, i thought it might help if i list the skills that for me and for people from my friendlist cause insane fps drops:

Str Gems:
  • Glacial Hammer - Skill causes a screen freeze the first time it is used. This goes for both players and monsters using it.
  • Lightning Strike - Fps drops occur here for like 10 hits before it runs ok again
  • Molten Shell - On first explosion the Molten Shell freezes the game for seconds

Dex Gems:
  • Detonate Dead - First explosion causes freeze for some players (not me though)
  • Poison Arrow (Chaos Throw Monsters) - As soon as more than 1 of them attacks, game becomes unplayable and sometimes even crashes.

Int Gems:
  • Discharge - Complete freeze of the game for like 2 seconds - this also goes for the flicker strike discharge monsters
  • Incinerate - On players when used with LMP/GMP game runs poorly. On Monsters the blue incinerate makes game unplayable even without LMP

Thx for reading =)

As i've said in another thread using a sub par gfx card and the only thing to freeze the game like you have described in some of the above examples was summoning skeles and ice arrow.
Though that seems to have been fixed for me with a patch that was released a while back.

Glacial hammer has been fine for me other than some desync caused by it being linked with melee splash. leveled a marauder through cruel and most of merciless with it.

can't say i've noticed anything with molten shell but then i haven't used it since early closed beta.

detonate dead seems fine to me...use it low level in fel shrine and don't see anything wrong with it.

hatred has never had a problem...nor any of the auras

Poison arrow and the poison cloud effects were pretty bad but i have since checked it.
Combo with GMP/chain/and life on hit and culling strike and the big ass cloud that forms even in a big pack of monsters isn't to bad...doesn't pause the game just slows it down a tad.
Same combination with lightning arrow causes a bigger fps drop but no freezing.

I did notice a pause with ice shot previously but not seen it for a while.

Ice spear has been fine for me...leveled to 65 with it in combination with lmp and faster casting...other than being fucking awesome no performance issues.

One of the biggest performance issues i've had outside of a group is a combo od summon skele and minion instability...if there is a big pack or particularly tough monster the meaty chunks build up and just keep going to the point of slowing the game down to a crawl
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
"

Hey Russell,

Str Gems:

Dex Gems:

Int Gems:

Thx for reading =)

When I am playing alone, none of these spells do much to my FPS. However, in a group they all make it nearly unplayable. The two biggest skills that give me problems are Spark and Lightning Arrow, which you left off your list.
I should have mentioned it: My list is groupplay only - game isn't slowing down much in solo play.
IGN: Darkrox (not my main, just for easy contact)
~ Yes i'm the Darkrox from Runes of Magic - World's #1 Guild Pravum 2009 - 2011 ~
"
Russell wrote:
Dont worry I know what a flame thrower looks like (also love that fps Russia ep). Its just very hard to re create with our tech.

Also the skill is lots of small projectiles. Thats how it works. Making it a steady steam would mean it would no longer work with multiple projectiles and faster projectiles. It could probably look better but I find it does the trick. We had to remove a lot of the coolness from it because of multipul projectiles and cast speed effecting it.

Why not just change the mechanics of the skill? Turn it into an AoE? I think it might work better and would be more fun! I actually have been thinking about that recently as I like the skill but don't like the fact its projectile based. Not sure what other people would think about that.
you are a great artist Rusell, keep it up!
PoE is getting pretty close to perfect considering it's in beta. Loving the new patches.

However, one of my main concerns is the lack of graphics options. I'm sure this will come at some point, I hope.

I think higher graphics options, and improved skill effects/flashiness, will improve the "wow" factor that the skills seem to lack at times. I think graphics options could give skill effects the over-the-top coolness that many would enjoy, while not lowering performance for those that have graphics settings turned down. (example: skill effects on low)

Hope something of this flavor is introduced in the coming announcements. Keep up the good work GGG.

Cheers
IGN: DivineMatter

"Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind."
Last edited by iHeXeNi on May 24, 2013, 12:05:02 PM
yesterday some guy with the "lag" on his name (not his actual name)
was spamming poison arrow with fork he managed to crash my game twice
"
Bertross wrote:
Hope this is the right section.

I was using Ground slam for my 1st time last night when i started a new charater and noticed that the visual effect was not as tasteful as i thought it could have been.

So i just quickly mocked this up just then and added lights beaming from the ground like i thought it would have if i smashed the ground like this.

The way i saw it the light would change in height as the spell depletes but its quite high when it starts.

ive also added small shimmering on the armour. You could also add a red amber effect to the hammer as well like it was scorching hot when it strikes.

Like to see what you think :)

GS could definitely use a damage and visual buff.
The chance to Vaal +1% maximum resists on an amulet is less than 1/300.
Hi, this is one of my first posts here after frequently playing since open beta. Esthetics in RPGs is very important to me and I am satisfied with 99% of the effects in PoE, but one of them is bothering me:

Lighting Strike
I really don´t like that there is a lighting coming from the sky.

In my mind, the lighting damage is coming from the character or his weapons. An arc cast by a witch is not coming from the sky either. It is very hard to ignore the lightning and this is the reason I did not use the skill so far.

Thank´s for your work!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info