Archnemesis Recipe Hinting

There has been a little confusion about how to discover Archnemesis Recipes, so we have prepared a news post explaining how the hinting system works.

When designing Archnemesis, we realised there was a spectrum for how we could handle recipe discoverability. On one hand, recipes could be completely secret, not data-mineable, and would require weeks of community collaboration to discover them all. While we felt that this would have a cool sense of discovery, it didn't really fit with the fast pace of Path of Exile's league start, where players want to experience a lot of what a league offers in the first days.

On the other end of the spectrum, we could have zero secrets whatsoever, and just publish a full recipe list in the game client so that you immediately have full information. The problem with this approach is that it completely removes a sense of discovery for players who do actually enjoy expanding their knowledge of recipes as they play.

The system we came up with was designed with the following goals in mind:
  • Players who want to use no external resources would not be told a list of recipes directly, so that they could gradually build their own list if they'd like.
  • Players who don't particularly enjoy trying heaps of combinations would be able to see hints as to what recipes exist.
  • Players would always be able to easily see whether there's a recipe that can be completed right now, so they don't miss one.
  • As a consequence of the game client knowing the recipe combinations, they would be data-mineable which would allow for the community to share them with those who want to see a full list early. This is okay with us.

This resulted in two hinting systems:
  • There are glowing borders around modifiers that can be immediately used in a recipe in this instance. The intensity of the border indicates whether it's a 2-, 3- or 4-part recipe. As you empower monsters in an instance and modifiers get consumed, the ones with borders will restrict down to just ones that can still finish recipes in that area. The intention is that if you consume any modifier with a border each time you get a choice, it'll always find you a valid recipe.
  • Recipes you complete are tracked and displayed on the component modifiers. So once you have discovered it (either by experimentation, the above hinting system or looking it up), it'll permanently remind you that modifier is part of that recipe.

We feel that this compromise both leaves a bit of fun discoverability in there for those who enjoy that, and also makes it massively easier for players who just want to be reminded about what the recipes are.

In our internal playtesting, we found that recipes become pretty easy to remember (especially with the above hinting systems) and that there isn't much reliance on needing to check external lists unless you're trying to exhaustively plan some complex combination of rewards. And in that case, it's definitely worth consulting a list anyway to make sure you min-max it correctly!

Thanks for your kind words about this league and the launch. Enjoy!
Posted by 
on
Grinding Gear Games
nice
noice.
Last edited by Bookwaters on Feb 5, 2022, 4:38:43 PM
Please, larger inventory and auto-sorting button! It's not nearly enough space to actually play with it, since we can't control what exactly going to drop. Trying to actually build a major combo will immediately overflow your inventory forcing you to discard other useful things, just because they dropped not exactly when they are "needed".
Yeah I like the balance. Never really understood the appeal of the vendor recipe system being "secret" when it's so huge and there are so many variables. The hints here are nice. I wouldn't mind a second tab on the modifier inventory that explicitly tracks the recipes you've discovered.
There's a problem though: if you've already discovered that X combines with Y, and there are more undiscovered recipes on X, you can't use the borders to determine if you can discover a new recipe. You'd have to either put X into the statue and risk losing it without finding a new recipe (bad if X is rare or hard to make), or destroy all your Ys to be sure.
I really enjoy how the system works, saving up parts and then finding cool combos is neat.
I'm sorry but it's sadly just one of those things where I can't be bothered to learn them. Nor can i be bothered to keep checking a list out of game. This in turn makes the league mechanic very bland with a bad feeling of losing out because you cba to memorize like 20+ recipes with quite frankly very unclear outcomes.

I should really be able to see in game what the recipes are, especially the once I've "figured out".
In game contact @MajorAsshole

Challenge T-Shirt: 4/6 | Full Challenge Totems: 21/27
oh right just remember "36 recipe on the fly" or self making a spreadsheet ... yeah i rather Beastiary kind of explore recipe, as long as u done it once, it will be forever on a "list" that i can check without having to open a website or keep asking General chat. Forcing players interaction with other ppl when they dont want to is a bad thing imo, i mean just look how great trading is
drop rate needs to increase

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info