Melee Splash

"
Zarbis wrote:
I have no idea why every one is complaining about splash radius. I've tried it out with dual strike and it seems to work great. I don't have aoe passives neither from witch or templar nor from gem quality.

Here is a record of test run:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccJ9dHihi7Q

You must be kidding, or you never used an aoe spell.
Im trying it with 15% Quality Splash, Master of the Arena and Templar increase area nodes. Wich is a sick improve in the range, and is still short, acceptable but short.

edit: now i have nearly the same range as Sweep.
Last edited by sai25 on Apr 8, 2013, 12:20:34 PM
I guess with a buff in the range the gem will be good. Not OP, just fairly good for melee gameplay.
"
Zarbis wrote:
I have no idea why every one is complaining about splash radius. I've tried it out with dual strike and it seems to work great. I don't have aoe passives neither from witch or templar nor from gem quality.

Here is a record of test run:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccJ9dHihi7Q

You cant even kill 4 mobs at the same time in that video do you know what the Aoe is ? This is no better than cyclone gives u bad Aoe which u cant increase decently with nodes and gems plus bad hit detection everywhere makes u dysnc.
"
sai25 wrote:
I guess with a buff in the range the gem will be good. Not OP, just fairly good for melee gameplay.

Problem is melee doesn't need "fairly good" gems. He needs significant buff to multi-damage or survivability. Introducing another skills which are not any better than existing ones does not improve melee gameplay by a tiny bit. It only gives you more weak options.
IGN:
ZENofWar [lvl 88 Blood magic cyclone Marauder]
ZENofArts [lvl 80 Cast on crit Quill Rain Scion]
"
Well, I took my Elemental Cleave witch for a spin using Infernal Blow with Melee Splash, just to see how it is. It isn't as bad as all that. Without being geared or spec'd for it, it worked pretty well. The main thing being that my Ele Cleave build has 67% increased AoE (combined from talents and support gem).

Infernal Blow Melee Splash Test

I made a point of running straight into the middles of some packs in the video, to give a better sense of how it is working.

Of course cleave gets that area without a support, so you're essentially one support down thanks to melee splash (I had to take out weapon elemental for it, since I needed a red slot for melee splash).

Obviously you can expect better results with a spec and gear tailored to infernal blow (just be sure it includes increased AoE nodes!)

Well, it seems okay. I was honestly preparing for the worst after reading through the entire thread. But you know what? I'm gonna say, in all honesty, it seems kind of counterproductive to have to get tons of radius passives when you're making a point not to run an AoE build but whatever. It still opens up a lot of possibilities for melee, as promised. I wish gems were introduced slightly OP rather than slightly UP. I think GGG is getting too hung up on that.

EDIT: I DO think they should buff the area though.
Last edited by sinjin25 on Apr 8, 2013, 1:17:45 PM
i would remove the single target penalty and increase slightly mana cost multiplier.

increasing the range to make it competable is not a good idea in terms of skill-variety.

same skills with different names is stupid.

making it an expensive singletarget skill with the addidtional splash, that is inferior to true AOE, would be good because then it stays unique.

anyway its too bad imo to use at the moment.
"
Khastro wrote:
making it an expensive singletarget skill with the addidtional splash, that is inferior to true AOE, would be good because then it stays unique.

A bunch of unique skills nobody uses doesn't increase variety, it decreases it.

AoE skills are better for farming, and better for maps. Either the skills need to be brought in line, or the content needs to be re-designed so that single target skills aren't stupid. It is pretty clear they aren't going to do the latter, so yes, it DOES need to be able to compete with the "true" AoE skills.
I like this support. I've tried it with a variety of skills and it seems to really shine in combination with infernal blow and dominating blow. With this support, those skills can compete with cleave, ground slam and cyclone. Dominating blow is a new very safe option for melee.
I made a new character to test this skill. I use Heavy Strike + Life on Hit + Melee Splash with my Duelist I made a few hours ago. In low levels this skill combo rocks. Easily grinding through Act2. I am curious how this will go on higher difficulties.

Edit: Everybody is complaining about the radius. With the one Master of the Arena only I am totaly satisfied witht he range. Come on guys, this is still melee, you can't expect to hit half the screen.
Last edited by deathmongoose on Apr 8, 2013, 2:17:20 PM
"
deathmongoose wrote:
I made a new character to test this skill. I use Heavy Strike + Life on Hit + Melee Splash with my Duelist I made a few hours ago. In low levels this skill combo rocks. Easily grinding through Act2. I am curious how this will go on higher difficulties.

Seems like an interesting side effect is good LoH healing. Most AoE skills have damage effectiveness that is below 100%, IE 70% for cleave, etc. With melee splash you still have your 125% damage effectiveness on your single target abilities, but now they hit a bunch of stuff. I was actually pretty surprised that they gave a straight damage penalty instead of a damage effectiveness penalty.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info